NGD: Fractal FM3

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Apr 15, 2020.

1. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Hahahah I dunno, Cliff’s got some old school New England blood in him. There’s also going to be a massive headache with adding that in there because you’ll have the boneheads jumping on the forum complaining about choosing that klone instead of their preferred klone and it’ll be a never-ending thread discussing the barely distinguishable traits of a fuckin’ boost pedal.

I’d leave it out just out of spite for how much controversy and wasted discussion that pedal has created. Even the guy who made the thing thinks it’s ridiculous.

c7spheres likes this.
  2. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I don’t know if it’s going to make it to the Cygnus FM3 update, but they’ve been working on porting that over to the FM3 for a little while now. I just tracked bass using it in the III last night and even using a distorted bass tone, it tracked flawlessly. I haven’t touched my drop-B guitar since that pitch block update a few months back.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Virtual Capo in the III is pretty good. Dropping the tuning on an 8-string sounds probably better than my actual 9 string guitar. It struggles a bit to keep up with detuning a 5-string bass, but IME everything does.

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Not super well versed on the minute details of Fractal stuff, is there a difference between virtual capo and the normal pitch shifter? Or are they one in the same?

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Virtual capo is a type in the pitch block.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah it's an option in the pitch block that can just move everything by whatever interval. Dropping everything by even a 5th works reasonably well with an overdriven 8-string guitar. Less so with clean sounds or 5-string bass, but it's passable.

7. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

On the Klon topic... It is VASTLY different to other pedals both tonally and feel wise, so I understand Cliff needing more time to get it right.

Before people jump on the snake oil hate train - yes I do own a silver Klon and the Klon KTR (which is also made by Bill and sounds/feels exactly like the OG's) and feel like I can speak out about this after trying to find a cheaper pedal to do the same job for a while... Tumnus is close enough but still too rigid in the mids if you nitpick.

8. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

This isn't an official FM3 thread but close enough as lots of users here..

.. 3.03 beta 1 is now live with updates to the Drive block and added drives to be on par with the Axe III.. All I have to say is holy fucking shit this sounds absolutely bonkers good with UltraRes Cab IR's now being available.

.. And we're not even on Cygnus yet. Being a Fractal user is gooooooooood.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

On 3.03 the drives are more in line with the quality of the Helix drive models. I still like the ones on the Helix better because you can use them exactly like the real pedal. Fractal's approach is "well this part of the pedal exists elsewhere so build your own damn full pedal from multiple things" so for example the Horizon Precision Drive gate is not on the Drive block but needs to be added as its own block or you need to use two Drive blocks and various models to get the full King of Tone feature set.

Ultrares is about the same as it was on the Axe-Fx 2, a small difference.

I had some bugs on the 3.03 beta 1, Input 2 had digital artifacts and left footswitch became unresponsive until restart. Reinstalled the 3.02 firmware, verified the issues were gone, installed 3.03 beta on top of that and so far haven't seen the issues again.

When the Cygnus update arrives I'll probably reset the whole damn thing to default and start from scratch considering how few presets I have.

cwhitey2 and Deadpool_25 like this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Cygnus has so much extra bass and rumble you'll essentially need to start from scratch anyway.

I'm starting to get disillusioned with this thing.

c7spheres likes this.
  11. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

Then on the other end of the spectrum, there’s a guy on the Axe forum with a thread about how Cygnus made all his presets sound thin and flat.

you can always stay on fw15, adjust your presets, or sell it and move on. I haven’t found either of those observations to be true in my use case, but perception is truth and all.

12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

In the end it sounds "fine" with any of the firmwares. In the end I think I'm just getting frustrated with the Fractal in the same way that I get frustrated with any real amp that is not an old Marshall 2204.

The Brit 800 sim always sounds fine. I got the Fractal to try to avoid buying other amps and selling them a few months later when I realize I just don't like them.

Surprise surprise after a few weeks I'm finding that no amount of knob twirling makes me truly like any of the sims other than the Brit 800 sim. So I should just use that one (or just the actual Marshall) and only fire up the other sims when I get really bored.

Mathemagician likes this.
  13. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

Interesting. I don’t usually advocate for tweaking the advanced parameters, but I wonder if you’d do well with some additional input filtering. Leon did a video with a Friedman recently where he cranked the input high pass filter too 500Hz, IIRC. Have you played with anything like that? That may only be helpful if the muddy/flubby stuff is bothering you most of all. I don’t have any recommendation for trying to like sounds you don’t like ;)

14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I'd figured out that I needed the input low cut to a pretty substantial frequency to reduce rumble from my cab (I use the Axe into a 4x12). There is still a lot of low end, even with the master volumes set super low (master volumes set too high causes a terrible woofy low end IME). Seems ridiculous but it is what it is.

15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I've been reading on the Fractal forum a little bit to keep upon Cygnus updates (I don't one a Fractal yet) and a lot of people seem a bit surprised and to have an initial impresion of it being to much bass or boomy or whatever. From an outsider perspective that's a good thing to me because that's how a real amp sounds initially until you dial it in.
    - It sounds like you're gonna have to build what you want from scratch like you said in order to get what you're after. - Although I don't own one yet all I could say is maybe at first treat it like a real studio signal chain. (not that you're not or anything) . I keep seeing people doing nonsensical things when it comes to signal chains and gain staging etc. like putting things after cab blocks that don't normally go there.
    - If you're already going basic for your foundation tone and not getting what you want it's probably the IR, the gain staging, signal chain, or maybe it's just not your thing if you are doing everything right. All I'm saying is keep a simple and "normal" approach at first if you haven't already tried that.
    - Sounds to me like you know what you're doing and more than likely it's the IR or some setting that's getting in the way. If it's on most or every preset though it's more than likely a gain staging or more global issue happening.

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

While my go-to sound is basically Fender cleans, Marshall overdrive which is delivered to perfection by my Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead, I still like messing around with other amps and own a Vox flavored Victory VC35 as well. I actually have the modelers for similar reasons so that I don't end up with a huge pile of amps.

On the FM3 I've found so many cool sounds. I can dial the Bogner Shiva model to sound somewhat similar to my Goldfinger so that's covered, but I've had a ton of fun exploring amps like the Nuclear Tone (Swart Atomic Space Tone), the Mesa Mark IV model, the Trainwreck Express or the Dumble. Stuff that I would never buy as a real amp because they're not my thing.

If you are getting a ton of low end rumble into a real cab, I'd try using the global EQ to cut it. I use it for rudimentary room correction because at home I have a hefty 130 Hz boost that is pretty annoying unless taken out.

17. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

@cardinal no one's forcing you to use any other amp sim. Park it on the 800 - no rule against it.

Elric, Mathemagician and cardinal like this.
  18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

This is the answer. I went back and forth just now several times between Brit 800 and the Marshall, and really the Fractal is awesome (with some low cut rolled up). I'm super frustrated because I can't get happy for more than a song or two with any of the other sims. But that's how it's been with the real amps too.

So really I'm just venting. First world problems to be so happy with one amp/sim that everything sounds like crap

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Deadpool_25, broangiel and c7spheres like this.
  19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That is kind of how I am with my Axe II. I pretty much always used the 5153 model, so I just got a 5150 III 50W, and I have been happy just using the amp instead. Sometimes I use the Axe in the loop for effects.

cardinal likes this.
  20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was reading about that, and it seems to be related to them removing the dynamic depth control.

That seems like a shame. On my Axe II I crank that knob constantly.