NGD: Fractal FM3

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Apr 15, 2020.

1. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

You say that as if it is somehow unusual for online purchases.

The Distance Selling Act (Fernabsatzgesetz) is quite established, isn't it?

Possessed likes this.
  2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Starting to actively enjoy some of the direct/headphone sounds out of this thing. There are some room IRs of a 1960ax with V30s, and those room IRs blended with some other V30 IRs (either from that 1960ax or the Mesa OS ones) sound amazing to me. Not just "passable" but actively good... And credit to where credit is due, a Leon Todd video on the cab block was very useful about how to use multiple IRs together and using a phasing trick. Little box is a lot of fun.

3. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Yeah, i just want to make sure it can be returned like e.g. Thomann

4. The Thing Upstairs

The Thing Upstairs SS.org Regular

Leon Todd should be on commission. It was his videos that got me to try fractal with an Ax8 then AF3 a couple of years ago - I will checkout his cab video when my mk2 turns up next week. Love what you can do in both the cab block and power amp section (especially when using an external power amp and cab)

5. The Thing Upstairs

The Thing Upstairs SS.org Regular

Dude - I have bought and returned with them, their service is excellent. They are an absolute pleasure - seriously they make everything hassle free.

I've just ordered a mk2 from them and live in the UK. They've explained how it works post Brexshit and I couldn't be happier with them.

If you're still worried, drop them an email, they are very responsive.

lewis, Possessed and AboutBlank like this.
  6. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Put the trigger!!! Now let's see whether I like it or not. I haven't had any modeler for more than 15 years.

7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

One interesting side effect of playing with the IRs is that it has been exposing how forgiving a real cab can be.

I've had a few presets that I thought were sounding great through a cab but with the IRs, they were too fat and bloated sounding. Turns out the IRS were fine, but it'd set up the amp block poorly.

So it made me go back and redo the amp block settings or just choose a different model, and then I got something that sounds fine through both the cab and the IRs. But interesting process to get there, I guess.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Interesting. What real cab are you using and what are you using to power it? And then how are you comparing the IRs to that? Are we talking cab in the room vs the IR through monitors or are you miking up your real cab?

9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Im using a Bogner Uberkab with a Crest CA-9. Pretty much everything sounds great into that cab IMHO.

For IRs, I'm just using headphones (ATH-50 or some similar combination of letters/numbers).

For the cab, I'm just listening in the room, which I think is why it's so forgiving. It just sounds great, but I also can move around and such, so I probably am unconsciously gravitating to certain spots. The IR doesn't let you do that, of course, so you can't hide something kinda gnarly sounding by just standing somewhere else.

I'm using the jumped JTM 45 for clean-ish tones, and thought I had a great setting, but it sounded horrible with the IRs. I redid the balance of the treble and normal channels, and that sounded fine with the IRs and honestly sounded better through the cab, too.

I've been struggling with the JP2C sims because they just awesome with the cab but just too thicc with the IRs, so I went back to the C+ model and got it worked out to sound fine with both the IRs and the cabs. Through the cab, it's not as macho sounding as the JP2C sims, but it is clearer and faster.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. Deadpool_25

Ah. Man, I haven’t been able to get any sounds I really like with headphones (Sennheiser HD280 pros) without dialing back quite a bit of highs. I’m fine with that though because I kinda hate playing through headphones anyway lol.

11. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I use the cab block for a high cut to 9000k or so and mix in some room IRs to give some space to the sound, which dulls some of the zing.

I broke down and bought some Celestion IRs last night. Wanted some for the G12-65. OMG. I so much preferred the Celestion IRs that they made the factory IRs unbearable sounding, so I had a get a few more.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Skip the room IRs and add reverb, dime the stereo spread.

cardinal and Millul like this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Nice. I’d heard Celestion did their own IRs but forgot. I might have to check a few of those out at some point. I’d probably want to try the G-12H 75 and the lynchback. Maybe the V30 just for the sake of comparison.

14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I ended up with the Blues, G12-65, T75, G12M, G12H, and V30. They all sound pretty good, though I don't like the real H30 and have no idea why I thought I'd like an IR of it (I don't). But lots of people do like that speaker.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  15. budda

Have you tried the stock ones for those? I keep forgetting about the lynchback but iirc its in there.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  16. Deadpool_25

I have not. I’ll have to dig around in there. I have a couple IR packs. OH Heavy Hitters and a couple others iirc. I’ve basically been in “good enough” mode so I haven’t even bothered to load the ones I have as far as I can remember lol

17. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Ahhhh ok, so the Axe's Fat switch for the Mark models is the Treble Pull Shift. Now it all makes sense. Sounds great.

And I think the default bright cap values for the Recto1 and the SLO are off? The amp schematics show 1000pf but the Axe default is 250pf and 500pf, respectively, for some reason. Upping the values to 1000pf brings those sims back to the angry sizzle (fizz?) that I've been trying to get.

Deadpool_25 and c7spheres like this.
  18. Deadpool_25

I found this interesting so I asked Cliff about it. His reply:

“The bright caps are normalized to the volume control value. So if a bright cap is 1000pF but the volume control is 250K (as is the case in a Recto) the normalized value will be 250pF.

Likewise the bright cap in an SLO100 is 1000pF but the volume pot is 500K so the normalized value is 500pF.

IOW the values are correct.

BTW, this was done for consistency as a 1nF bright cap on a 500K pot behaves the same as a 500pF cap on a 1M pot.

If the tone isn't "angry" enough that usually means the MV is too high. Just back it off a touch until the high end opens up.“

I wonder if this is saying changing the bright cap value changes the volume pot value (can you change the volume pot value separately in the axe/FM3? I’ll have to look).

budda likes this.
  19. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I grabbed a Headrush 108 for low (tv) volume living room playing and it seems to be working out decently so far. It is really sensitive to volume levels between the cab and the input signal and gets really bassy really fast if it doesn't like the volume balance though.

The GAS for something like an Atomic CLR is strong, but for what I'm using it for I think the Headrush is going to be ideal: cheap and light and sounds decent at the volumes I am using.

Sounds like he just modeled a 1M volume pot and adjusted the other components appropriately.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. budda

@technomancer if the hr isnt cutting it later, grab a used 110 yamaha or mackie wedge and enjoy.

technomancer likes this.