NGD: Fractal FM3

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Apr 15, 2020.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Do you have any clips? I'm interested in these.

2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Day 4:
    Finally got around to trying it through my real amp FX loops. California Tweed combo on the left, Super Kraken head and California Tweed extension cab on the right.

I started out running XLR-to-TS cables from output 1 to the amps’ returns and noticed a bit of hum. It wasn’t horrible but it was noticeable. I just played through that and worked it out afterwards by using regular TS cables from output 2. I have some Humbuster cables laying around and tried those for the fun of it but there’s no difference between them and the TS cables—both were silent.

I created a patch with just an amp block and tried a few amps: Shiver Clean, Friedman BE, Dizzy VH4 Blue Ch3, Plexi 100 Jump, and Super Verb Normal. These all worked flawlessly. I tried with power amp sag on and with it off and got excellent results both ways. My amps both had fairly low master volume settings so aren’t really adding much of their own color. The feel is outstanding. I want to do a little more testing but I’m incredibly happy with the sounds.

Menu diving to get to things is still a minor annoyance but it’s to be expected. I just don’t see reasonable any way around it with products like these. I found I was getting used to it quite quickly so maybe any annoyance will pass as I get more proficient at editing on the FM3 instead of using FM3 Edit.

The next test will be building some “kitchen sink” presets to see how I am with the CPU’s limits.

Jeff, c7spheres and wakjob like this.
  4. Deadpool_25

Here you go. It’s not completed yet (needs things to be secured, and needs a couple wires added and such) but this should give the general idea.

Im using the GigRig patchbay to relocate the guitar input to the right side of the board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boofchuck and StevenC like this.
  5. Deadpool_25

Sorry, I don’t and honestly probably won’t get around to it. There are bound to be plenty soon enough. The sounds are exactly the same as on the AxeFX III though, and there are tons of clips of that. The primary difference is the FM3 has less processing power so you can’t run the same number of effects and a few effects haven’t been ported over.

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Any particular reason you aren't mostly using the editor?

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

I’ll use the editor more often in the future most likely. Right now, I’m just wanting to get proficient enough with doing things on the FM3 that I won’t feel like I have to connect the computer if I don’t want to.

budda likes this.
  8. budda

I mean, its one cable :lol:. I learned the fx8 without editor for touring. With the iii though, I doubt i will do much editing at the front panel - even though it has functions axe edit doesnt access. My plan is to set up the perform screen once gigs are back on the horizon.

9. GoldDragon

Can you run parallel amps in a patch? Can you run two cabs per amp?

How fast is patch switching?

10. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Now that these are out, allow me to ask if they're fully controlled via MIDI Program and Control messages, mainly to change patches and to change parameters inside each patch...?

My idea would be to place this inside the rack and control it via a MIDI pedalboard.

Thank you in advance.

11. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

You can't run amps in parallel since the FM3 only supports 1 amp block (but it can support 4 channels within that block). The cab block can mix up to 4 impulses.

12. budda

Yes it can do that. I think everything they've released does pc and cc changes.

odibrom likes this.
  13. GoldDragon

How many other blocks does it get besides the amp and cab?

Based on specs, I thought the FX3 was virtually unlimited. Even at 1/2 the processing the FM3 should have many blocks.

14. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

Of course both units have limits. Yes, there is a high ceiling on those limits, but the Axe is far from unlimited (much like every other computer).

I'd recommend looking through the FM3 to answer your questions. There's a lot of good info here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FM3#Effects_list

15. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    ... so I could control a Wah block with a MIDI expression pedal... and all that jazz?

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

All of the Fractal units are really only limited by the processor by how many blocks you can use at once. You can stack as many as you want until you run out of processor. However, you are limited in how many you can have of each type. Like, you can only have 1 amp block, and 1 cab block, 2 reverb blocks, 4 EQ blocks, etc... whatever the numbers are for the FM3. However, you can stack as many different blocks as you want until you run out of processor.

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You can control just about anything on a Fractal with an expression pedal.

18. GoldDragon

What does that mean in practice? Can you run an amp, 2 IR cab sim, stereo image, PEQ, graphic EQ, boost pedal, wah, tap delay, chorus/ph/flange, and reverb at once?

And what is the switching delay between patches?

The above signal chain is a practical minimum that I would think it should have. I would imagine it can do that. OTH, idk what % of processing power the FM3 has. If it only has 20% the power of the FX3, that might be a problem.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am not sure since I do not have a FM3. I think I have gotten up to 19 blocks at once on the Axe-FX II. Comp, filter, EQ, gate, boost, amp, cab, phaser, flanger, chorus, pitch, delay, reverb, multicompressor, quad chorus, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, filter, enhancer, etc.....

You can usually pile on tons of "normal" blocks. It is the high quality reverbs, plex delays, amps, etc.... that are limited since they are high resource blocks.

GoldDragon likes this.
  20. GoldDragon

The FX2 might be a better deal than the FM3 depending on processing power. What my ears hear in the videos, they sound the same quality. It comes down to how they have it programmed.