NGD (Fractal content)

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude I’ve been parroting this for a while now. I dunno if the 50s just play exceptionally well with the Fractal gear or what but it’s incredible imo.
And you wouldn’t be wrong!

One thing I immediately noticed is how quiet the loop itself is. Most amps that I’ve plugged the FM3 into create a buzzing sound. The evh is totally silent though.

It’s also a very clean and transparent sounding loop to my ears, so i think that definitely plays a roll.

It’s one hell of a loop!

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And you wouldn’t be wrong!

One thing I immediately noticed is how quiet the loop itself is. Most amps that I’ve plugged the FM3 into create a buzzing sound. The evh is totally silent though.

It’s also a very clean and transparent sounding loop to my ears, so i think that definitely plays a roll.

It’s one hell of a loop!
The loop in the 50W is actually solid state, so they react differently than the all tube loops in the Peaveys.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The loop in the 50W is actually solid state, so they react differently than the all tube loops in the Peaveys.
It never occurred to me. I think pretty much every other loop I’ve had is tube buffered so I never noticed me these weren’t. Maybe that’s why they work so we’ll with the Fractal stuff.

I’m kinda tempted to try running some NDSP plugins through it. I can run a cable from the interface to the FX loop right? Hmm. 🤔

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How do you fare with CPU load? I've been eyeing an FM3 for some time now (in addition to the QC) but my primary concern is how much processing it can handle and how much you can add to it before you start running out of DSP. I'd be using reverbs/delays/pitch shifters and, while I wouldn't have to worry about DSP with the QC, the quality and array of FX that Fractal offers even with the FM3 is more plentiful and fleshed-out.

I've said it elsewhere but if we ever get an FM3-type device from Fractal with a touch-screen UI like QC's I'd absolutely shit myself.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How do you fare with CPU load? I've been eyeing an FM3 for some time now (in addition to the QC) but my primary concern is how much processing it can handle and how much you can add to it before you start running out of DSP. I'd be using reverbs/delays/pitch shifters and, while I wouldn't have to worry about DSP with the QC, the quality and array of FX that Fractal offers even with the FM3 is more plentiful and fleshed-out.

I've said it elsewhere but if we ever get an FM3-type device from Fractal with a touch-screen UI like QC's I'd absolutely shit myself.
You have 4 channels per block, so you can get 7 blocks (in-amp-cab-3fx-out) and have a ton of options. And thats before modifiers and controllers.

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You have 4 channels per block, so you can get 7 blocks (in-amp-cab-3fx-out) and have a ton of options. And thats before modifiers and controllers.
Say I were to construct a chain as follows:
In > Comp > Pitch > Gate > Amp > Cab > EQ > Reverb > Delay > Out

What you're saying is the FM3 will be able to handle a chain like this with some room to spare?

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love Fractal's stuff. Love it. I've had the Ultra, the II, and currently own the Axe-Fx III.
I'll also say that the front panel interface isn't exactly perfect for live tweaking. The Axe-Fx is at its best when you're using it with the Axe Edit software.

At this point I think the last thing I could ask for with the Axe-Fx would be an additional 1U row of knobs that rotated smoothly like real amp/pedal knobs (not "clicky" or notched like the current Axe-Fx's Value knob, and A-F knobs) that you could assign specific parameters to just always be available for instant tweaking.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

What you're saying is the FM3 will be able to handle a chain like this with some room to spare?
I think theres compressor settings in the input block and or the amp block. Likely dont need the gate because there’s one at the input block. Dont need the eq because that’s in both the amp and cab blocks.

Should be fine. But dont quote me, i have the axe 3.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tried the editor for the first time last night, and DAMN! It makes it SO much easier (and actually fun) to use.

Would be awesome if they would make a cell phone app or something for it. Kinda like what TC does for their TonePrint pedals.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I guess I have to wait til I try one but to me the front panel interface looks more fun than the editor. Is it just me or is it still impossible to fly around the front panel and work the machine even once your familiar with it or something? Does it lag behind the buttons or something? It just seems like lot of people don't like it. - Seems like a market for a 1u version with no screen at all. But am I wrong? Once you 've mastered the front panel can it keep up?

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess I have to wait til I try one but to me the front panel interface looks more fun than the editor. Is it just me or is it still impossible to fly around the front panel and work the machine even once your familiar with it or something? Does it lag behind the buttons or something? It just seems like lot of people don't like it. - Seems like a market for a 1u version with no screen at all. But am I wrong? Once you 've mastered the front panel can it keep up?
I think it keeps up just fine. There’s just nothing really intuitive about the navigation and layout, imo, which makes it somewhat cumbersome until you have everything pretty much memorized.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can't beat a Peavey 5150 even as a power amp. I ran preamps through the return in the loop for years. Good shit. Sry fo tha derail. Carry on Fractal doodz.
In the case of running the Fractal gear into an FX loop, the EVH power section sounds much better than the Peavey power section. That’s with the 6505 though.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I dug up this old post from when I had the FM3:

I just threw together a quick preset with:
Wah, PEQ, Drive, Amp, Cab (2 IR), GEQ, Flanger, Phaser, Chorus (those three in parallel), Delay, Reverb, Enhancer.

That’s right at 79% CPU so pretty close to the ceiling.

The ceiling is at about 83-84% where you start getting the warning.

I was probably using normal or economy reverb in that, as the highest quality reverbs eat up massive amounts of CPU. Doesn’t matter much as they sound great regardless of which quality you use.

Also the pitch block can eat up a bit of CPU I think, but so does a drive block.

So not the exact same blocks but yeah, the chain you listed should be fine.

@sevenfoxes maybe you can throw together a preset like he’s asking for and see?