NGD (Fractal content)

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been using Neural amp sims for the last year or so, and while i was getting decent results, i felt my tone could have been better, so the obvious progression would be upgrading to the FM3, and all i can say is DAMN!

Now, I’ve owned an FM3 in the past, two of them actually, but never really tried to record with them. Had i done that, i never would have sold them, because these sound light years ahead of the amp sims I’ve been using, especially in the high end. All that nasty shrill high end from amp sims is pretty much absent from the FM3, and the dynamics are much closer to a real tube amp.

I’ve only spent about an hour with it, but am already getting noticeably better results. Loving it!

A big thanks to @Deadpool_25 and @budda for always telling me how great the FM3 is. I see (and hear) that now!

Only question is, do i upgrade the cab sims? :scratch:

4A9431B8-6ED1-4F53-87AC-3D6B607DA340.jpeg

Last edited:

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been using Neural amp sims for the last year or so, and while i was getting decent results, i felt my tone could have been better, so the obvious progression would be upgrading to the FM3, and all i can say is DAMN!

Now, I’ve owned an FM3 in the past, two of them actually, but never really tried to record with them. Had i done that, i never would have sold them, because these sound light years ahead of the amp sims I’ve been using, especially in the high end. All that nasty shrill high end from amp sims is pretty much absent from the FM3, and the dynamics are much closer to a real tube amp.

I’ve only spent about an hour with it, but am already getting noticeably better results. Loving it!

A big thanks to @Deadpool_25 and @budda for always telling me how great the FM3 is. I see (and hear) that now!

Only question is, do i upgrade the cab sims? :scratch:

View attachment 107839
Glad to hear it! Luckily there’s no reason for me to go down the IR rabbit hole since I’m using real cabs. With so many stock IRs it’s probably more a matter of whether you want to go down that road.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah there's no real need to get 3rd party IRs unless you have some favorites already. The stock library is vast and good sounding and mixing two IRs together will give you great results.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have yet to buy IR’s that arent for acoustics. Lots of freebies in the freebie thread too. Plus the forever Leon Todd plug.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I really liked Leon Todd IRs until I tried the DV77 cab from York Audio. Sooo good.
Pretty much all my main sounds are with the OH orange 212s that came factory. One day I’ll check out said YA but i havent felt the need. I have LT ones but dont use them at present.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
How is the UI on these? Are they fairly easy to dial in from the unit? If I ever got an Axe FX it def would be this one. HNGD!
Imo watch a yt tutorial on it and see what you think.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How is the UI on these? Are they fairly easy to dial in from the unit? If I ever got an Axe FX it def would be this one. HNGD!
Thanks!

There’s definitely a learning curve to these units, and “user friendly” isn’t a term that I’d associate with them.

The payoff is totally worth it though!

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm the resident Fractal UI complainer so take this with a bucket of salt.

The front panel UI is clunky. Fractal is generally really bad at doing any UI related improvements so just getting them to add simple double click shortcuts to access commonly used blocks was a huge win for me. Those help make it at least bearable but I would never call it pleasant, intuitive or effortless. You can live with it, but it's not a joy to use. Helix and QC are way better in this regard.

Fractal however does have by far the best computer editor in the business and that goes a long way. If you do most of your editing from that and use the front panel only for slight adjustments it works fine.

For live use the Perform view is what you would want to use for quick tweaks. You can assign the controls you want quick access to in it. It's too limited IMO but it's what we have atm.

It's pretty frustrating because a lot of what Fractal does is absolutely great. Their amp/cab/effects sims are excellent, the tweakability is unmatched.

For perspective, when I had the Helix Floor I used the front panel 99% of the time. Only used the HX Edit software for uploading IRs and updating the firmware. On Fractal I use Axe-Edit/FM3-Edit about 90% of the time over the front panel because it's just a better user experience.

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few YouTube vids and that’s the impression I got. For now my HX Stomp is doing just fine, but the FM3 does look very appealing. The price seems fairly reasonable as well all things considered. I remember when the first Axe Fx came out I figured it was another fad that would quickly pass. Oh man was I wrong.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Fractal stuff is amazing in almost every way. I think their UI is probably their only weakness.

With that said, there is so much tweakability that it would probably be tough to make it super smooth from the front panel. It could be better though I’m sure.

I forced myself to use the front panel to build a few patches from scratch and it’s doable. I got significantly more comfortable using the front panel…and it’s still somewhat challenging lol. The editor on the other hand, like @laxu said, is phenomenal.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my fm3 and don't find the front panel too troublesome. Would it be nice if it had an ipad built in, sure but it would be like 2k then.

With so many IRs I didn't think Id need external but I've found ones I prefer that are external, mostly because I like ENGL cabs. So I got some ENGL irs, busters irs, and bogren digital.

Elric

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my fm3 and don't find the front panel too troublesome. Would it be nice if it had an ipad built in, sure but it would be like 2k then.

With so many IRs I didn't think Id need external but I've found ones I prefer that are external, mostly because I like ENGL cabs. So I got some ENGL irs, busters irs, and bogren digital.
If Fractal would just relent and either hire someone to port Axe-Edit to mobile they'd own the market; IMHO. If they did that the next box could have Bluetooth MIDI built-in and no one (but @laxu ;) ) would ever complain about the UI ever again. IMHO.

I am a huge Fractal fan and I find it fairly quick/easy adjust things like the Bass, Mid, Treble on an amp model, etc. But I would never try to create a preset from scratch or reroute something from the front panel. It is a royal PITA for those kinds of things.

And in general, the UI is super weak compared to Helix, QC, Headrush. Honestly its about the only thing you can complain about on the Fractal stuff these days, on everything else it is the King. IMHO.

But, like I said if they had a real time iPad app that was the quality of Axe-Edit (sorry FracPad) it'd be huge from my perspective. I would not own a Fractal if Axe-Edit did not exist in spite of how excellent the tones, etc, are...

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If Fractal would just relent and either hire someone to port Axe-Edit to mobile they'd own the market; IMHO. If they did that the next box could have Bluetooth MIDI built-in and no one (but @laxu ;) ) would ever complain about the UI ever again. IMHO.

I am a huge Fractal fan and I find it fairly quick/easy adjust things like the Bass, Mid, Treble on an amp model, etc. But I would never try to create a preset from scratch or reroute something from the front panel. It is a royal PITA for those kinds of things.

And in general, the UI is super weak compared to Helix, QC, Headrush. Honestly its about the only thing you can complain about on the Fractal stuff these days, on everything else it is the King. IMHO.

But, like I said if they had a real time iPad app that was the quality of Axe-Edit (sorry FracPad) it'd be huge from my perspective. I would not own a Fractal if Axe-Edit did not exist in spite of how excellent the tones, etc, are...
Agreed no axe edit would be a major flow. My presets tend to just be drive gate amp cab multi and comp and peq so not too hard to spin up onboard imo. But yes, axe edit is by the preferred method, the unit just sits by my computer hooked up to monitors anyways so it's convenient.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I've tried Fracpad and while it's rather homemade and unpolished, it also doesn't solve the issue of effortless realtime control. If I could pair a mobile Axe-Edit with a MIDI knob controller, now we would be in business. The Quad Cortex is still the best modeler UI I've worked with and that's because you can tap at things on the touchscreen to select but can then turn real knobs to adjust values. If it was just a touchscreen I would never have even bought it.

Atm Fractal's support for MIDI knob controllers is just awful. They don't support relative values so the position of your MIDI controller encoders becomes the source of truth, making it impossible to adjust stored values. E.g bass on 5.0 in a preset but your MIDI encoder is at 7.0, you turn the knob and it jumps to 7.0 first, losing the saved setting instead of starting from the saved setting. Relative values operate based on "value up/down" instead of absolute value so they would solve the problem.

Meanwhile MIDI mappings override front panel and Axe-Edit. There is no practical reason why they can't all work in tandem but with this setup if your MIDI controller breaks (or you forget to bring it), you need to remove all mappings before those controls can work again.

Let's not forget that a lot of this stuff is standard features for synths but somehow a total shitshow on guitar gear where anything MIDI is designed purely for footswitches.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just ran the FM3 through my EVH 50w. Damn! Sounds great! Much better than the SD Powerstage i was using.
Dude I’ve been parroting this for a while now. I dunno if the 50s just play exceptionally well with the Fractal gear or what but it’s incredible imo.