NGD - Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by bnzboy, Oct 3, 2016.

1. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

[​IMG]

Oh boy I've heard about this model and wanted one since I was in highschool and now finally it is mine. Richie Kotzen: a great singer and a phenomenal guitar player. Used to play in Mr. Big and currently with The Winery Dogs (Billy Sheehan, Mike Portnoy). He does not use picks by the way.

Back when it was just released it was Asia/Japan exclusive but now the model is available worldwide (still made in Japan). I love how the guitar looks with its gold hardware and the rail pickup also in gold.

The neck is quite fat but it is surprisingly comfortable. I usually put 10s for standard tuning but for this one I will keep 9s for now as I don't think I can keep up with additional tension with the size of its neck. Someone mentioned this is as big as Nocasters but I never played them before so I won't know for sure. I'd rather play big necks than thin/flat Ibanez necks.

This guitar screams; maple neck, ash body, maple top. I love the middle position with both series and parallel; you get both Tele twang and fat lead tone by simply flicking the switch.

No tone pot for this model but I ain't got time for that. This guitar is quite versatile and with the right amp you can definitely do metal.

The model is somewhat overpriced though as it does not come with a case.

TLDR- Versatile Tele with a fat neck. Yes, you can do metal with this model.

Daeniel, thraxil, cult and 10 others like this.
  2. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Nice! Agreed on Richie Kotzen...got to see him live with the Winery Dogs earlier this year and it was fantastic. Big fan of his stuff...not only a fantastic guitarist but a great musician, too.

About the neck: it's typically spec'd as a 'Large C', and Richie has said in the past that he loves both big necks and has large hands. Would you say it is even fatter than a typical tele neck? I.E., did he request to make the neck even larger?

3. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

He mentioned that he wanted the neck to be bigger simply because he has big hands. So really to him this is the right size for him and not too thick for him. This neck is definitely a lot thicker than standard tele necks. What I heard is that this is almost thick as Gibson R9's neck. It feels amazing because you have enough neck to grab on and vibrato as much as you want.

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man!

5. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin'

HOT DOG!!! I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these. Happy NGD!!!!!

6. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

What I love about Fender is that their guitar is ready to rock straight out of the box. At least that's been the experience for me opposed to other brands (Gibson) that were just unplayable. Yes, 9 out 10 times I get new guitars set-up by a local guy but Fender's been amazing at QC.

7. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Love these! Gorgeous guitar :yesway:

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!
    I played one of these for a few minutes at a L&M earlier this summer, it was a great feeling guitar. Neck was SUPER thick, so some people might not get along with that-- I didn't mind the neck too much, but it was a little too thick for me. Other than neck size it was probably the nicest Tele's I've ever played.

Kind of a bummer that it doesn't come with a case though.

9. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

yes the neck is so thick I love it!! I mean I have other guitars with thinner neck so this guitar adds a bit of variety to my collection. Also it is my first tele! I am loving the tone and the feel of the thick neck. Surprisingly it plays a lot easier than a Gibson I've tried at L&M with a super thick neck (baseball neck).

10. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

ah yeah! I know you love PRS (I love PRs too) and this is just a different beast :)

11. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I'd say go get one if you can. I just love the neck and how it gives me enough room to vibrato the hell out of it.

12. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

I saw the first night of their tour last October. Absolutely mind-blowing how great that show was. I'd never seen Richie live before and was in awe. And, yeah, he only finger picks, which is incredible. The way he seems to wrestle that guitar like it's an anaconda is impressive.

Congrats, on the new axe!!

13. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Nice one, love it :cool: Congrats.

14. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Bill Kelliher should have gotten that instead of an LTD :D

15. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Beautiful:metal: These have fantastic specs

16. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I love Winery Dogs stuff. This model is sweet. Congrats, mate.

17. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

That thing is so damn hot, I think I might just have to buy one too!

18. crowbar1115

crowbar1115 SS.org Regular

Congrats! I got to play one of those at a GC in San Francisco and fell in love with those pickups immediately. I'm usually a super-strat guy but I just couldn't put that guitar down. I played it for well over an hour. The neck is absolutely perfect for my hands. Enjoy it and definitely get a case...that guitar deserves extra love.

19. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Yup this definitely feels different than any other stock tele models I have tried. I have also tried the newest Elite Tele which is obviously a lot easier to play around with its compound radius and thinner neck. This one's a bit struggle to bend and trill but the tone is superb.