NGD: Fender Mod Shop Strat

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by shadowlife, Aug 25, 2018.

1. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

I've actually had this for a couple of weeks now, but I wanted some time to get to know it.

I had been on the fence about these for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger. There are limited options to choose from when you order these (and the options change frequently), but all the important things I wanted in a Strat were available, so I took the plunge.

In short, I totally dig this guitar. It is everything I want in a Strat. Fit and finish are top-notch, as good as any of the Suhrs and Vigiers I have owned, and it sounds beautiful. I like the 4th generation Noiseless pickups much better than the the earlier versions, and even prefer them to the SCNs which had been my favorite noiseless pickups for a long time.
    Disclaimer: I mostly play with a clean tone, with only a tiny bit of dirt on occasion.

The color is actually lighter than it appears in the photos, and I'm glad. Some other versions of ocean turquoise are too dark for my liking, this one is perfect, and exactly how it appeared when I did my "mock up" while placing the order.

I ended up with the larger headstock, since that was what came on the neck I wanted, and while I wasn't sure how I would feel about it, I'm glad it's the one I got. Looks more like a musical note, and less like a ballsack :D

Only negatives I would say are:

1- when ordering, you only have the option of choosing 9 gauge strings. Kind of ridiculous IMO since they have to install and cut the nut when they build the guitar, don't see why you can't choose 10 or 11 gauge and have it set up for that. I'm digging the 9s, so it's not big deal for me, as I already have another Strat with 11s for when I want to torture my hands. The nut does look like it could handle 10s if I decide to go up a gauge.

2- guitar came setup with 3 springs in the trem cavity, which is how I wanted it anyway, but they didn't include the other two springs. That would be annoying for a guitar at this price, if I had wanted to use 4 or 5 springs.

3- the vibrato bar was EXTREMELY difficult to put in and take out when I first got the guitar. It has gotten a bit better, but I still need to use more force than I think should be necessary. A google search showed me that this is a common complaint, something to do with the spring they use to lock the bar into the trem. Hopefully it will continue to break-in, so it will be easier to install and remove.

4- not really a negative, just a first world complaint: I don't know why they insist on shipping the guitar with the stupid plastic film still on the pickguard. It's annoying trying to get it off cleanly with all the screws, especially the pickup screws.

In conclusion, I'd say if you are thinking of ordering one of these, you should go for it if the specs they are offering are what you want. It takes about a month from when you order to when they ship it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pastanator, Zhysick, NickS and 18 others like this.
  2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Congrats man. I can’t even begin to tell you how much time i spend in the mod shop site. That is a beautiful guitar. Great color choice!

shadowlife likes this.
  3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Very jealous. I wish my serial numbers were candy corn.

shadowlife likes this.
  4. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Damn that's a sexy strat. Love the color and fat headstock.

shadowlife likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Love it. That color is one of my faves on a Strat. 70s headstock actually looks really good on it!

shadowlife likes this.
  6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Looks good, reminds me appearance wise of the new player series SSS.

As for your concerns, I think most guitars filed for 9's can take 10's without issue (since this is a very common gauge), and the plastic is on there so you know your guitar is brand new haha.

Enjoy it!

shadowlife likes this.
  7. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

Thanks guys!
    I'm really glad I decided to order this one.

LOL!
    It's actually a shell piece I picked up at the beach yesterday. From the ocean. You know, to go with the ocean turquoise theme... :D

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Great color and nice build overall. I think I still prefer the SCN over any other noiseless strat single, but the 4GN would be next. I like the big headstock as well. Good looking strat.

shadowlife likes this.
  9. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

You really got me jonesin for a 70s maple strat in ocean turquoise or LPB.

shadowlife likes this.
  10. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

Thanks!
    After I read your post, I was thinking about it, and I realized a lot of how much we dig pickups depends on the guitar they are in. I had an American Deluxe Strat from 05 or 06 with H-S-S, and the SCNs int hat guitar were incredible. I have another Strat currently with SCNs, and although I like them in it, they don't sound nearly as good as they did in the other guitar.
    I'm glad the N4 pickups work so well in this one.

Go for it!
    What are we here for, if not to encourage each other's GAS :D

11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs

Nice looking Strat with a maple FB...the body colour is real nice looking. Any idea what they call that colour?

;>)/

shadowlife likes this.
  12. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

Ocean Turquoise

BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Beauty

shadowlife likes this.