NGD : Explorer(s) and a lonely Charvel

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by -DTP-, Oct 24, 2016.

1. -DTP-

-DTP- SS.org Regular

So over the years I've come to realize that without fail, the guitar that I always grab first to play is my '84 Explorer (The white one with the Floyd). I've had that guitar since I was 16 and there's something about it that just feels perfect.

Now that I'm out of school and have a real job I figured I should hunt down my all time most GAS inducing explorer, an 80's EII Tobacco Burst. After a couple weeks of searching I found an '81 on the bay that was pretty mint, had the original pickups, and had the most figured top I've seen on a tobacco (for some reason the cherries seemed to get most of the good tops). After a bit of haggling I managed to pick it up and to my absolute joy, it plays almost identically to my '84 but with a more slippery aged gloss finish. It's got a nice medium round neck, plenty of fret life left, and it weighs a million pounds (and as a result, sounds like it).

At this point I'm feeling pretty secure in my overall guitar ownership.

Fast forward a couple weeks, I'm taking a gander through my local Sam Ash and I run across what is in my opinion the best spec'd Explorer ever, the Lzzy Hale sig... and its on clearance...

Fast forward another couple days and there's a clean Gibson Thunderhorse on my local craigslist way under its value...

So now I have four Explorers and I can't say I'm mad about it. Thank god I don't have a gf at the moment :lol:

Oh yeah and the Charvel is an '87 Model 1 that just happened to be at the shop where I grabbed the Thunderhorse. He basically threw it in for nothing and it might be my favorite guitar I've ever played... go figure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

All my Dream Gibson Explorer´s in one picture.... very very nice.

So, Vodoo Explorer as next one?

3. ninn

ninn SS.org Regular

Nice collection. If that Charvel gets too lonely, he can come stay with me.

4. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Looks like you need to balance it out and buy some more Charvels!

5. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Holy freaking crap, dude. If there was a 7 in that collection, it would be perfection.

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Badass. That tobacco burst is about the perfect Explorer. I really love those TP-6 bridges on em too.

Coincidentally I also picked up a Model 1 awhile back for pretty much nothing. Very quickly turned out to be my #1 guitar for tracking rhythms in standard/drop D. Seriously awesome guitars that punch WAY above their cost. I have way more expensive guitars sitting here that just stay in their cases lol. I tell everybody I can about em and they never believe me until they play mine.

HNGsD!

7. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel Dinkleberg

Those are some killer fiddles! That Thunderhorse in the middle is calling my name...

8. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Ah man, I love EIIs, and that might be the best looking one I've seen. So killer!

9. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Add a 90 Double and you've assembled almost all my favourite explorers. Congrats man!

10. -DTP-

-DTP- SS.org Regular

Thanks guys! I've been playing non-stop since I grabbed the E-II the only reason I had time to post this was so I could procrastinate at work :S

Thanks man I think the next one is a Kelliher Sig. I reallyyy like bound explorers and Mastodon haha.

Don't encourage I've already started looking for more maple/maple Model series >.<

Thanks man! I don't have a 7 Explorer if that's what you mean but I do have a 7er... Haven't decided if I should do an NGD or not though.

Thanks man and yeah I guess I'm not crazy cause I've had my fair share of fenders/jacksons/ibbys/capas/suhrs etc and I've never had a neck feel so fantastic. Must contain the urge to buy more...

11. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man! Beautiful collection!!!

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

ooh that tobacco burst is killer.

13. steinmetzify

Yo man just so you're aware, the EVH Stealths have pretty much the same necks...and you can buy necks from places that have the same specs. I put one on my Telemaster.

14. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

great collection...congrats!

15. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

What a collection! I love Explorers. Never had one, but really want a white one similar to yours (w/o the Floyd). They are just $$$ thanks to Mr. Hetfield's popularity. Bah, guess I'll just build my own! :D

16. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

That EII and the Thunderhorse are two of the Explorers I have on my GAS list. Congrats and if you find you feel you have too many Explorers and don't want the Thunderhorse anymore, as you've mentioned that you're loving the EII, we're here to accommodate for that lol!

17. Josh Delikan

Josh Delikan SS.org Regular

Stunning collection! Congrats!

18. -DTP-

-DTP- SS.org Regular

The same necks as the early Charvels? I've actually never played an EVH for that long I might need to try one out

19. steinmetzify

Yeah, pretty much. One of the reasons they're so good (to me, anyway) is the nut width, which is 1.625"...that's what the EVHs are. Frets are SS and vintage sized on the EVHs, but the neck feels much the same.

One of the reasons I grabbed this Charvel in a trade was because I had my bro I got it from measure the nut and it was the same width...figured that'd be good enough, but when it showed up it was shockingly similar.

Also like I said, it's a pretty standard shape it seems....did a partscaster Telemaster awhile back and even though it's a Fender branded neck, it's got the same nut width, and the back shape is basically the same. Pretty much a go-to for me anymore...I'm not what I'd call SUPER picky on neck shapes, but if I find something that works I tend to stick with it for a while.

[​IMG]Telemaster by Lord Funktfied, on Flickr

Even though that one ^ looks completely different, it feels the same as my Model 1.

I know we're all kind of trying out new things all the time and trying to figure out what works...just saw what you said about that Charvel and figured this might help with future purchases; just remember that nut width, 1.625".

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

oohh thats some realy tasty collection right there..... and a beautiful avatar photo too ;)

but that tobaco burst needs some gold covered pickups ;)