NGD: ET Guitars Australia - Custom 7 String

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by wilch, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

2. jarnozz

jarnozz Let´s Get Wasted!

that neck is sweeeeeet! HNGD

3. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

That's a great guitar man!! Especially for a first 7! Super jealous, it's not exactly my typical style, but it's one of the nicest guitars I've seen. Everything about it is just great! Congratulations!

4. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

I recommend using a holy diver ur guitar isn't that far off from mine should beaf it up a bit

5. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

Looks great man, love the reverse headstock and angled jack....is that the standard Tomahawk body thickness or did you get Ernie to make it thinner?

Not sure about this guitar, but on the standard Tomahawk FX7 its a
    16" radius
    48mm nut
    65mm last fret width (ibanez use 68mm)
    Thickness at 1st fret - 19.5mm
    Thickness at 12th fret - 21.5mm

6. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

Fucking sweet dude happy NGD!

7. jon66

jon66 Contributor

Everything Ernie does seems top notch. And this guitar is certainly no exception!

Happy NGD dude!

8. TheFashel12

TheFashel12 ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

One of the better looking guitars i've ever seen , very balanced and tasteful :bowdown:

9. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

very nice man. Next time you get hung up on scale length remember that that extra 1 1/2" are gonna be divided up along that whole scale length. So stretch changes arent going to be as big of a deal as you would think. Especially the high up the neck you get.

10. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

Looks so perfect! I'd get the same thing, without the inlay. looks very nice!

HNGD!

11. LolloBlaskhyrt

LolloBlaskhyrt HD Pro abuser

Awesome axe!!

12. LolWotGuitar

LolWotGuitar SS.org Regular

Lucky NGD! Australia offers a TON of incredibly rare tone woods for guitars.
    Great looking guitar and killer quality!

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Wow that is nice!!! I love the simplicity, is the guitar bright plugged in? Mahagony + Maple shouldn't be overly bright at all unless you've been playing very dark guitars.

14. wilch

wilch SS.org Regular

Thanks heaps all for the awesome comments! I started going through and liking all of the comments, but then thought that might be frowned upon. So I stopped. lol. Thanks all. Ernie did an awesome job with making an idea in my head a reality. :)

Soon, soon. Some time next week, after the weekend probably. I'm no Merrow or Englund or Vai though!! I've been playing a long time, but plateu'd for ages. Life kinda got in the way. Still I'll do my best!

Thanks dude. Initially I had asked Ernie for an all black inlay. But a few weeks after I put the order in I asked him if it was possible to change, cause I thought all black would be too boring. They leaves would look just painted on, I thought.

To be honest I didn't have to wait that long. Especially considering I made a couple of changes at different times mid build (scale length, and then inlay colours). Total time was around 3 months. Now that I've actually written that down, it didn't take that long hey. lol.

It probably helped that I modified one of his own designs with mainly hardware, and wood changes.

I will. :)

Yeah, I think shipping would be crazy to the USA. I want to answer your question re price, but I think it'd be better if you just shoot Ernie an email to ask about shipping, and upgrade costs. He's pretty good, and usually responds within 3 working days at most.

Thanks man. It's not a compound radius. The neck specs of mine are the same as the Tomahawk FX7.

Spilla's right:
    16" radius
    48mm nut
    65mm last fret width (ibanez use 68mm)
    Thickness at 1st fret - 19.5mm
    Thickness at 12th fret - 21.5mm

Looking at the specs alone though, I actually thought the neck would feel beefier than a Universe neck. In terms of feel it feels thinner, much thinner.

Anytime I've played a Universe I've had to adjust to the "fat" feeling neck. But with the neck on my guitar I don't even notice the change. I have Ibanez's with Wizard, Wizard 2 and Jem profile necks. Moving between those (all 6 strings) and this is like nothing. There's differences yeah, but not, "damn I'm on a 7 string, have to remember" type differences.

Damn :(. I haven't done it yet. Kinda in two minds about it now. I might wait till my first string change in a couple of weeks to flip them.

It is thinner than a regular RG. My RG421 is 45mm thick, this guitar is 38mm thick.

I wasn't expecting it, but I did contemplate requesting a specific body thickness halfway through the build (thinner than an RG). I didn't though because I thought I'd made too many changes already, and that the due date would be pushed back further.

Ernie must read my mind! It's the perfect thickness for me. :D

I might have to order one in, just to try.

Not sure if this thickness is stock tbh. I didn't request thinner, but I wanted thinner. I'm thinking it could be the stock thickness.

Yeah, I just kept going back and forth. Ended up being a big girl and having it build to the scale length I'm use to. I did try to find a 27" scale to play, but nowhere around me had any. Next time I'll probably get one. :)

15. wilch

wilch SS.org Regular

It sounds bright plugged in. But I'm not 100% on that anymore. I think the whole NGD, new fret material, new fretboard material, new pickups, new everything overwhelmed my senses or something.

I went and recorded a riff with one of my old guitars, then doubled it with this new one. Then played it back muting each of the channels. It's not as bright as I thought it was. There's a "shimmer" at the tail end of notes though that I'm not use to. Not sure if that makes sense. I'll dial it out in my patches though I think....and later, will try flipping the pickups too. :)

16. arcadia fades

arcadia fades SS.org Regular

looks epic as fook! well done sir

17. AfroSamurai

AfroSamurai SS.org Regular

That's awesome. Usually you have to wait a year + to get a custom.

18. ET Guitars

ET Guitars Luthier

The response from Wil's custom, and also another recent custom 6 string Tomahawk in another thread is really encouraging and appreciated!

The body thickness of the stock guitars is 38mm. We did this to drop the overall weight of the guitar, and to fine tune the balance of the guitar when strapped. The thinner body also feels more comfortable and ergonomic, without the need for extra carving or cutouts, and still retain all the tone and sustain. We do go the next step on the Katana model, which is the same thickness but with a semi-carved top, and that one is as comfortable as anything. But yeh, that model is more expensive too lol.

The tone is bright on this one, but in a really cool aggressive way. Its made brighter by a combination of the maple board, SS frets, and the lack of tone pot bleed. Also the BKP Aftermath is well known for having a certain "ping" at the top end. Wil described it really well as having a shimmer at the end of notes. It gives the tone some real character and presence.

Again, thanks for the cool response, appreciated!

19. nsimonsen

nsimonsen SS.org Regular

Wow, this looks great.
    Stellar work as always from Ernie, after spending a bit of time with Josh's Katana I've really been blown away.
    I would definitely rep this gear proudly.

20. geeman8

geeman8 SS.org Regular

Wow man! That's an awesome looking guitar! Congrats!