NGD: ESP Standard Horizon NT-7

kidmendel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pics first!

I've been looking for a 7 that felt like a keeper for a while, none of the ones I've owned previously have "stuck". Before this I'd bought and sold:
- Sterling JP70 (was actually pretty great for what it was)
- Musicman JP7 (technically utterly perfect but for some reason, just did not vibe with me. I still feel confused about this)
- PRS Holcomb SVN SE (combo of string gauge, scale length, and pickups put me off it quickly, not my cup of tea)

Saw this pop up on Reverb at a reasonable price and gave it a shot. Knew I wanted a 25.5" 7-string. It came with EMGs, which are awesome but not really my thing, so I had them switched out for a set of Seymour Duncan Distortion 7s.

I think this is finally the one for me! Got it back from my tech today, fully set up with 10-13-17-28-38-48-62 set, new pickups installed and I'm very happy! Couldn't put it down, which is always a good sign.

The SD Distortions are great, I feel like I never really see people raving about them but I think they sound pretty great?

Only thing I'd change is the colour, black is a bit boring, but I can live with it. One thing to note - the switch is silver because my tech didn't have any black switches in stock, he's going to swap it out for free when it comes in. I can live with that too :p

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
Killer!

I love the Duncan Distortion. Super mean sounding pickup but without pushing any nasty frequencies IME.

kidmendel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Killer!

I love the Duncan Distortion. Super mean sounding pickup but without pushing any nasty frequencies IME.

Yeah it was a nice surprise! I have the PRS HFS in my main 6 (a CE24) and googled for pickups that sound similar in 7 config cos I like it so much. The Distortion-7 sounded pretty much good to go in my setup :)

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
HNGD!

What's the neck like? I've been iffy on ESP's because thicker necks on 7 strings REALLY hurt my thumb after a while...

kidmendel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD!

What's the neck like? I've been iffy on ESP's because thicker necks on 7 strings REALLY hurt my thumb after a while...
It's dependent on what we'd call thicker. I've had less comfort with really thin necks (thinking most Ibanez 6 strings, and a modern Charvel I used to own). My main 6 is PRS' Wide Thin neck and I really like that. I'd say this is comparable - not SUPER thin but definitely on the thinner side. It feels like a 6 neck extended out, so there's a little flat area in the middle as opposed to being fully curved.

FWIW, I have big palms but short fingers.