NGD ESP Standard Eclipse II

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by PuriPuriPrisoner, Jan 23, 2020.

1. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

Just got it in today. It's wonderful. Quality is as good as every other Japanese ESP I've owned before. Super resonant while having the action super low. One thing I've learned from this purchase is that ESP used veneer tops on their standard line guitars. I knew as soon as I opened the case that is was a veneer because of the lack of depth in the quilt. It didn't really move in the light like a full top would. I hate veneers but it doesn't look too bad on this guitar imo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

With the rare 2013 logo as well. Reindeer Blue is always a win, makes me miss the one I had.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

One of my favorite colors (have a H3 same color). That's a really pretty top. I don't mind the veneers given the consistently solid build quality and aesthetics. Whether it's deep or not, that is gorgeous. Grats!

4. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Reindeer Blue is soooo beautiful. Gorgeous axe!

5. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Veneers move in the light just as much as a solid top would.

For all practical purposes, wood is a completely opaque material and you're certainly not looking into the depth of the figuring more when the piece of wood is thicker. That would only be the case if the wood was translucent, which wood isn't.

Don't worry about it. Enjoy the guitar.

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice grab!! Reindeer Blue is the perfect color!

Yes, ESP Standard Series and the newer E-II Series both use veneers, which kinda sucks, but the guitar is usually built very well so it makes up for it. If they had regular full figured tops then they'd only be more expensive than they are, or they'd have less figuring.

I definitely miss my E-II Mystique, it was a great guitar. I'll have to get another MiJ ESP/E-II in the future.

I think there are numerous factors that contribute to that 'movement/depth' and I'm not sure being a veneer is one of them (thought maybe i'm wrong on that). I do know that there are factors like the specific wood itself and the finishing process used.
    I have a PRS SE-7 with a veneer top and it has crazy good movement and depth in the light/various angles.

Either way, that is a beauty, enjoy!

Flappydoodle likes this.