NGD: ESP E-II Eclipse-7 Evertune

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Lopp, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

That's what I'm worried about. It was noisy enough that it sounded as bad as a single coil. Even to the point of it overpowering sustained notes early as they were ringing. I'll check my other guitars, but my PRS with somewhat hot HFS pickups does not have the problem.

Not too sure how I can troubleshoot the issue or at least verify it is a wiring problem.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

Can you guys see the images in the original post? For me, they show up as broken links with no images. However, the images are still hosted. Also, they showed up when quoting the original post. At least in that I can see them right now in the quote as typing this message.

Why can't I see the images in the original post?

EDIT: Well crap. Now I can see them.

3. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Modern pickups such as those don't have random "noise". Something is going on....

AkiraSpectrum and Lopp like this.
  4. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

Yeah. It is weird and the Pegasus isn't even supposed to be a super hot pickup. Both the Pegasus and the Sentient are equally noisy. Note that the Sentient is much lower Direct Current Resistance (DCR=9.2k) than the Pegasus (14.9k) and is still very noisy.

I just checked a bunch of my axes through my Mark IV:

- Two PRS CU24s with HFS bridge pickups: Fairly hot pickups (HFS=Hot Fat Screaming) have a little hum, but nowhere near as noisy as the E-II. Note that the DCR of the HFS (15.0k) is a tad hotter than the Pegasus (14.9k).

- Ibanez RG760 with DiMarzio IBZ F2 bridge pickup: Has a little more hum than the PRS HFS, but not close to the E-II Pegasus/Sentient.

- Fender Stratocaster with Hot Rails: Quietest of them all. Barely any perceptible noise.

- Charvel EVH Stripe Series with custom EVH pickup: Very noisy. As noisy as the Pegasus. However, I've always considered that Charvel an excessively noisy guitar and have seen at least one complaint about another Charvel being too noisy.

I love the E-II EC-7 ET, but wish I could figure out how to reduce the pickup noise. I even took it to an authorized ESP service center: 3rd Coast Guitars in Chicago. They said the grounds were fine (which I already tested myself) and were under the impression that the noise was just a characteristic of the particular pickup. Although, they were checking it through a clean amp.

I'll probably swap out the Pegasus for something with tighter low end. However, I have the impression that whatever pickup I put in there will be equally noisy. Especially because other replacement pickups with tighter low end that I've been considering are all hotter than the Pegasus.

DCR
    Pegasus: 14.9k
    Nazgûl: 16.7k
    Black Winter: 20.4k

5. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

I generally don't hear much noise difference from my various HB equipped guitars, and my Duncan Rails and stacked singles are likewise very quiet. I will say that my EMGs are at another level of stealth, however.

Lopp likes this.
  6. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

Good to know.

There may be something connected to an outlet on the same circuit or something else in my house causing the extra noise. The noise is just as bad at Guitar Center, but there are so many electronics there, they might have the same issue.

The most annoying thing is that I've had three different techs at two different shops check it out and they cannot figure out any problem aside from stating it must be the pickup. The first two techs at one shop did think it was noisy, but didn't have an explanation. The tech at the second shop, an ESP authorized repair shop, only played it through a clean amp and may not have even noticed the noise.

I may have to bring an AX8 with me to the second shop to show them better, but my faith in them to fix it has diminished because they couldn't figure out a solution the first time aside from *guessing* it was the pickup.

7. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I have been delivered bad pickups before. Not necessarily the same problem, but it does happen.

AkiraSpectrum and Lopp like this.
  8. Calibix

Calibix 16.666% more string

I'm trouble shooting a similar problem in one of my guitars. It is a constant buzz no matter how much gain a channel has. However, if I touch the tone or volume knob, it is drastically reduced. If I touch both simultaneously, the buzz is gone. I assume it's not grounded right but as I said, I'm still trouble shooting, and I'm no expert

Maybe this is something you could try.

Lopp likes this.
  9. Lopp

Lopp SS.org Regular

Good tip. Guitar Center had one other EC-7 ET in stock and the shipped it for me to compare. It had the same noise. Possibly a bad batch of pickups or an issue common to all of them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the noise does not go away when touching the strings, bridge, output jack, knobs, or anywhere else metal. I checked the grounding myself and everything seemed grounded. I even had three techs check it out. The first two at GC thought it was noisy, said the grounding was fine, but couldn't otherwise figure it out. The third at an authorized ESP dealer only tried it through a clean amp, checked the grounding, didn't find an issue and suggested it was just a characteristic of the Pegasus/Sentient. Neither of those pickups are high output, so I'm unsure if switching them out would fix the issue. I'd hate to buy a different set just to have the same problem.

In your case, it definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Either something isn't grounded correctly or you have a ground loop.