NGD: EBMM JP15 Purple Sunset

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Strobe, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

It has been less than a month into 2020, and I have spent the guitar budget!

At least she's pretty! I am still pretty giddy about this thing. It's sooooo good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one lightly edited to hide serial. I dunno if that matters, but I do it anyways.
    [​IMG]

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

wow that is sexy!!!!!!!!!!!

tell us more about it (review) and give us more pics too, lol!

Strobe likes this.
  3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That’s a really cool color. Congrats!

Strobe likes this.
  4. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

One of the nicest JP's I've seen.

Strobe likes this.
  5. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I delayed doing any more write up because I was busy playing it. Now that I have had a little time with it, I will give some first impressions. I apologize in advance for being wordy!

Magnetic Pickups: There have not been a lot of Petrucci signatures I have had a chance to pick up and play prior to buying. The JP7 I bought last year at my local store (2 blocks away) was the first Petrucci signature I had seen in person. I mention this, because most of my experience with the various Petrucci pickups is from hearing youtube videos. I listened to all the various flavors, and I generally liked them, but the illuminator stood out to me. They were a little brighter sounding than his other sets, which tended to have just enough highs to have some cut and very little more than that. The crunch lab kind of has a grainy growl to it. Most PAF styled bridges have a scream to them with gain. The illuminator falls in the middle, with a very vocal mid to it, with just a tad bit of the PAF scream to it, but an overall smooth top end. It’s definitely a bit tighter than the crunch lab, and the mids feel “full” without having quite as much lows and low mids as the crunch lab. I will mention it’s also a fairly smooth pickup overall. Some pickups have kind of a grainy character to them, this one does not. There is no fizz. The switch system gives you access to the standard 3 humbucker configurations, plus an inner coils in parallel option that is very quacky and good for cleans (albeit lower in output than the other modes). String separation is good, and the bigger chords with inverted base notes sound awesome. The neck pickup is good for smooth, liquidy leads. It’s maybe a bit brighter but a little less liquidy than the aptly named liquifier. If I had one complaint, it would be that the difference in tonality between the bridge and neck pickup is smaller than it is with a lot of pickup sets, but that has positives and negatives. Overall, I am very pleased with the pickups. Both pickups are medium to medium-high on in terms of hotness. They produce a good range of sounds, and every position is usable.

Piezo pickups: I struggled to describe the magnetic pickups, and I am going to have a lot harder time communicating tones with words on the piezo! Ha! In any case, it’s a pretty, bright, and convincing acoustic tone. It doesn’t have the same echo and resonance of a real acoustic guitar in the room, but it’s a very good sound and give you an option to get some the very sparkly highs that you do not get with the magnetic pickups. I love that this is an option, and it really adds to the versatility of the axe.

Neck: This is the best guitar neck. I mean, I realize that everyone has personal preferences, but you owe it to yourself to play one of the oil and wax finished EBMM necks if you have not before. It feels expensive. The roasted neck has a bit of a different texture to it than the non-roasted ones, and perhaps has a bit of a stiffer feel. The thickness is closer to the ESP thin U than a wizard neck, but the neck carve is a bit asymmetrical and thicker on the bass side (Gibson did a similar asymmetrical carve on some Les Paul standards – and I liked it on those too). This happens to fit my hand well. One of the things that draws me to Petrucci as compared to some other shredders is that the guy seems to have normal proportioned hands. You take a guy like Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, or Tosin Abasi and they all seem to have these really long fingers and sizeable hands. Growing up I kind of thought it would be hard to do what they do because despite being a tall 6’4” dude, I have decidedly medium sized hands and arms. Petrucci was a shredder that seemed to have normal guy hands. I think that is part of why what is comfortable to him seems to suit me well.

Frets: If this is not perfect fret work, I have not felt better. Action is low every on the neck. The frets are mirror shiny, and they’re stainless steel so likely to stay that way for some time. Combined with a pretty flat 17” radius, this feels like icy for string bends. Nothing catches – very smooth.

Trem system: Tuning seems very stable so far. I am not a big diver bomber – more flutters and vibrato, but some moderate trem use did not put the guitar out of tune. From my more extensive experience with the JP7, these things are not as stable with trem use (or general tuning stability) as a Floyd, but they are still very good while being faster for string and tuning changes. It’s only been one day, but it still sounded in tune after being in the case overnight. In terms of trem feel, it’s great. Super smooth, flutters well, is very low profile. I would put it up against the best edge in terms of feel. These are great trems.

Thing I was surprised I liked so much: The 20dB volume boost (push-push on the volume knob) is surprisingly usable and fun. It’s a very transparent boost, and just seems to increase the gain and sustain. I am a super minimalist when it comes to pedals, and having something like this on the guitar is very appealing to me. It’s pretty satisfying to turn a crunch tone into more of a lead tone with just a push on the guitar knob.

Aesthetics: I mean, you can see the pictures. I'm a purple guitar fanatic, and this scratches that itch in addition to my long time love of spalted maple. Spalted maple comes from dying maple trees. That's metal AF :) The body finish is super smooth and glossy, and it really is a pretty guitar down to a very detailed level. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there is some flaming in the spalted maple. I have seen more figured necks than mine, but very few tops that I enjoyed as much as this one.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  6. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

Very nice

Strobe likes this.