NGD Douglas Hadron Black Flame

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by nicomortem, Apr 24, 2014.

1. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

Got this in the mail very recently, had one of my wife's co-workers order it for me and trick Kurt into thinking he was shipping to a 1st time customer,:fawk: low and behold: no cracks, dings, chips, busted hardware or other defects. It has some surface scratches near the tremolo on the front of the body, and it came with the Wilkinson tuners instead of the Grovers as listed. It was in bad need of a fret level, the 1st and 2nd frets were completely un-useable on the low B and low E, nice! I leveled the frets, waxed the finish, and decided not to have her contact him about the frets, scratches, tuners, etc, because I don't want to take a refund and there aren't any more of this color in stock. Plus I might want to have her order a 2nd time, and I should probably save it for then, because each guitar she orders for me will get progressively worse until I have to find another person to place my next order, for the 3rd time no less. :rolleyes: Hey, I like the guitars and I'm not going to let this ONE guy stop me, and I get better service this way anyhow.

Ok...So, after leveling the frets, the thing plays fantastic. I have said it before, you cant find a 7 string neck-thru mahogany guitar with a double locking trem and brand-name tuning heads for anywhere near this price ($225) and the guitars that are available for this price don't even come close in regards to features, hardware, build, and value. But then again, none of those guitars need to have the frets leveled in order to be able to play them! And fortunately, this came with the same pickups that they put in the Grendel 7's, which are some of my favorite pickups out there, regardless of price. They have such a nice crisp midrange, solid and non-muddy low end, plenty of high end crunch without being harsh and just the right amount of gain. Quiet too. I will say though, I prefer the way they sound in the basswood of the Grendel over the way they sound in the mahogany of the Hadron. The single-coil in the middle is awesome too, it has a smooth high end instead of being too brittle, and the pole pieces arent all high and in the way of my pick. The trem works fantastic, and has solid components. I love the smoked chrome hardware too. The tuning machines are great too, they look and feel much like the Grovers that the guitar was supposed to come with! And the maple top on this particular Hadron is the best top Ive gotten from Rondo to date, in fact if it weren't for one blemish near the bass side of the bridge, the top on this guitar would be up there with all those $1,000+ guitars with killer tops that aren't bookmatched or AAA but still way better than the thin, inconsistent, wood filler-marred tops that usually come with Rondo's lower priced instruments. The thing plays like butter, the action and intonation are spot-on, the 27" scale makes soloing much more comfortable for me, and keeps my tension nice and tight on the low B and E strings. Its also razor-thin, about half the thickness of a standard strat-style guitar, the neck is very thin too. I love everything about this guitar, except the headstock. I don't like it at all, but Ive seen worse, and I am willing to deal with it since its not my only guitar, and I have plenty of guitars with cool headstocks but none of them are neck thru, and none of them come close to the features and value of this instrument. It gives me a 27" baritone hardon every time I vibrate its smokey chrome wang bar! :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SeventhSlinger

SeventhSlinger Well-Known Member

Never heard of Douglas before but you paid $225 for this?!? Nice, looks great, HNGD!

3. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Douglas is a lower level guitar made my Rondo Music in the same brand family as Agile

4. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

HNGD! I've got one of these as well, they really do play great, price aside. The smokey hardware looks nice as well.

5. ChubbyEwok

ChubbyEwok SS.org Regular

Congrats dude! Glad it plays well!

6. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro she looks awesome!!

7. Ajb667

Ajb667 SS.org Regular

Why did you need to trick him into thinking you were a first time customer? :scratch:

8. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Your theory is pretty much crap, I've owned 6 or so Agiles and there was no decline in quality as I went along. Also, unless things have changed Rondo doesn't even open the boxes from the factory, they just reship them on to whoever orders. Getting a bad one is a matter of luck. The idea that Kurt is sorting them and then shipping bad ones to repeat customers also makes absolutely zero sense since the last thing you want to do is screw your repeat customers.

9. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

^ Yea that...

I've ordered let's see...
    -Intrepid 828 Spalted top (3/4" thick)
    -TWO Pendulum 82728
    -TWO Bruce HXB406 fretless
    -Douglas WOB 826 fretless
    -Douglas Sculptor 5 fretless
    -Interceptor 827 FR
    -One of their cheap strat copies

If the quality were declining why would I keep buying? Lemme guess having disposable income leads to mental illness?

10. Konfyouzd

I bought a mandolin, banjo and harmonicas from them too actually.

11. littledoc

littledoc Go meat!

Uh... so, I don't really see the point in raving that a guitar only costs $225 when it comes scratched, with the wrong tuners, and needs a refret right out of the box.

12. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Fun fact: I almost bought that guitar.

13. nicomortem

I made a quick video to demo the Hadron, with rhythm, lead, les paul-ish and stratty tones shown.

14. OliverUllmann

OliverUllmann Member

Congrats bro!!!
    I'm really thinking of order an agile or douglas from Rondo soon
    Did it take how many time to arrive to you?
    I live in Brazil, its too hard to order from Rondo??

15. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

:agreed:

My most recent Agile has the best fretwork, woodwork, and finish of any of the Agiles I've owned over the years. I'm surprised they haven't increased the prices more or slowed down all of the advancements in new features and models.

16. Convictional

Convictional Forest Wanderer

Not a fan of the tones but I've always wanted to try an HSH guitar.

HNGD!

17. nicomortem

I wouldn't recommend buying from Rondo, unless you spend at least $500. And if you have any problems with your order, make sure not to post anything about it on the forum, you might hurt somebody's feelings:nono:

18. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

People aren't ragging on you because you had a bad experience. People are ragging on you because you're trying to say that Kurt, someone who is known for amazing customer service, deliberately ....s with you. He doesn't.

That said, I wouldn't buy anything from rondo if you live outside of the US, especially their lower tier stuff. For the simple fact that the possibility of getting a lemon is indeed fairly high, which in the US is fixed by shipping back for another one. Outside the US, you don't get that luxury, and you're stuck with the lemon.

I've probably owned a dozen rondo guitars, and not a one of them was messed up beyond reason. (Action adjustments, truss rod, etc. But no dents, scratches, warped necks, etc.)

19. Konfyouzd

:lol:

Exactly. I couldn't see Kurt deliberately trying to screw you over. You get what you pay for. If he was such an asshole I don't think we'd have been able to twist his arm to produce the Intrepid, then the Pendulum and now we're working on getting a steel stringed acoustic 8 string from Rondo.

Man that guy is hard to deal with.

Go ahead and email any other retail music store about releasing new models because you and 20 other dudes on a forum want one and see how much nicer they are. :2c:

20. ceiling_fan

ceiling_fan SS.org Regular

Congrats on having a new black Hardon!