NGD Dos Juggernauts

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Mattykoda, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Review first, scroll down if you came for the pron!

First the import:
    Just to note I tried to keep my opinion as if paid full price and what might be expected in that range, even though I paid way less. I've been wanting to try one of these for a while and at the price the old models are at right now I couldn't say no. The color is awesome and the slight pearl comes out with a good amount of light. The neck profile and carve are identical to the U.S. model and the 16' radius is right up my alley.

Fretwork/setup:
    Mine was in desperate need of some fret polishing as you'll see in the pictures. When blowing off the dust from the micro mesh with compressed air the nut fell off so that just made my job easier as I was going to replace it anyway. I was surprised once all said and done because the frets were level and only needed minor touch up on a few edges that were missed. The action was pretty good out of the gate and I only made minor adjustments. The oxidation was more than likely due to sitting in the box for so long.

Hardware:
    The stock bridge and tuners are great for the price. The bridge is really comfortable and the tuners held surprisingly well. I only changed them out because I had a hipshot bridge and figured since it was so cheap I might as well replace the tuners to make it more like the U.S. counterpart, and as a personal preference for hipshot tuners. I would have been just as happy leaving them stock.

The pickups:
    The pickups aren't bad, I will echo some of the reviews and say Jackson did make a decent set of in-house pickups. Are they Bareknuckle quality? No, but it comes with the price. I still haven't decided what I will replace them with but for now they get the job done.

Overall I think it is a great guitar for the price. I think the biggest complaint is not having the bare knuckles in them when you have the holcomb and titan as a competitor. I think a $899 or $999 price tag with boot camp pickups would be more than reasonable and I would gladly pay that with everything else staying the same.

The U.S. model:
    I originally ordered one of the tiger eye models but when I received it I was really disappointed with the color so it got sent back the same day. It came out more orange than the brown I was hoping for, I'm sure some people would like it but I love the darker color. I did confirm with Misha that the process is the same and is was more than likely a variance in the wood. Luckily I didn't have to wait long for one with the color I wanted as this popped up on reverb and I got it for a great price. I believe this passed through @Adam Of Angels hands at one point if I remember correctly from his listing. The guitar plays great as expected so I'm not really going to give much of a review. It's heavier than all my other models but that was expected with the thick maple cap. The top has a great 3d effect to it and my phone had a tough time trying to figure out which color it was. I tried to get it as close as possible with the exception of 1-2 that just looked cool in portrait mode.

IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1827.jpg IMG_1828.jpg IMG_1829.jpg IMG_1830.jpg IMG_1831.jpg IMG_1437.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

The first order IMG_1751(1).jpg
    The replacement IMG_1785.jpg IMG_1791.jpg IMG_1852.jpg IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1788.jpg IMG_1824.jpg IMG_1825.jpg
    The family:
    IMG_1839.jpg

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That one you sent back is awesome.

4. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Nice guitars! I like the matt black one best.

You must be a pretty big djent guy to own so many of misha's guitars.

Mattykoda likes this.
  5. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I kinda prefer that one :shrug:

Mattykoda likes this.
  6. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

It definitely had its own uniqueness that I liked but I’ve always wanted one with the darker brown color since they came out. I wasn’t excited when I opened the case and was more let down than anything. It’s all just personal preference and am way happier with the one I have now.

7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

When I ordered my Vigier 7 I just went with boring black due to the amount of variation in their "amber" finishes, so I understand your position really.

Mattykoda likes this.
  8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Thanks for the review!
    Both guitars actually look really good. I haven't played a USA but the Pro Series HT7 I played felt pretty good.
    I think both the USA models you got were pretty cool, but like yourself, I too prefer the darker-brown model.
    Enjoy!

Mattykoda likes this.
  9. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Hey man when you're spending that kind of money you have to love it, so its all good. Killer family of guitars for sure!

Mattykoda likes this.
  10. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Also, I had a white HT6 pro as well and I put Juggs in it and honestly for the money it was a killer guitar. Did you have any issues with the Hipshot bridge install?

11. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say so much a djent guy, I just appreciate a lot of the features of the guitar and the price that you can get them at. I can't speak so much for the new models but I love these ones.

The only minor things are a faint black residue that is imprinted from the old bridge on the body. It sits right outside of the outline of the hipshot but you can't even really see it. The other was the string holes don't line up properly (the baseplate covers about half of the hole) which @yellowv and @JD27 had the same issue with. It's just how the factory bridge is drilled on Jackson and Charvel's. I originally just had the hipshot saddles on but have not run into any issues since installing the baseplate. You could ream out the holes to fit but it works just fine.

JD27 likes this.
  12. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

The stock bridges they use on them aren’t awful by any means. They Hipshots are just better made though and the saddles are more comfortable. I noticed it seems to be more resonant as well. The holes probably won’t be an issue for most people unless maybe you are using really thick strings on the bass side, in which case they would probably only require the whole to be slightly reamed out.

Mattykoda likes this.
  13. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

That Tiger is one of the good ones! Probably the best one I've played. Great catch.

Mattykoda likes this.
  14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Super glad it worked out for you! Although, to be honest, I absolutely would have preferred the first one. But that's why the guitar market is so great; there's pretty much an endless amount of variance to accommodate for everyone's different tastes. End of the day you got exactly what you wanted and that's killer, dude.

HNGD!

Mattykoda likes this.