NGD - Daemoness Cimmerian

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by frogman81, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBen

NickBen SS.org Regular

As someone with a deposit down and "build to start imminently", I really just want an explanation as to how this left the shop. As others said, this doesn't even seem to be something Dylan/Daemoness made, the quality and overall "craftsmanship" seem to be completely off. I'm really hoping he addresses this to give us future (or repeat) buyers some confidence in moving forward. Otherwise, it would be nice to have the option to get your deposit back....

I've also reached out to Dylan/Barnes a few times over the past few months with no response, so that's not exactly helping...

Finger's crossed we get some more insight into the situation :)

Flappydoodle likes this.
  2. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

as far as the no response they’ve told me that their email usually drops into spam so to try and message them on FB.

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I respect your positive bias for these guys, but what happens to receive an instrument like this is: finish build - check the guitar - decide if the issues need to be fixed - say "nope" - send guitar out. Every shop is in control of the outside view potential customers have. In this case, they just didn't care because the flaws are too obvious to go unnoticed unless your QC staff is blind and/or on drugs...

Flappydoodle and Kovah like this.
  4. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Maybe they just got pished the day that was sent out. I remember packing my ruck for a two week field exercise while I was pished the night before. When I was unpacking in the field the next day I was surprised at the random bullshit thrown into my ruck and the complete lack of sleeping bag, hygiene kit, uniforms, and food (apart from an apple and a couple slices of pizza).

5. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Its definitely not. I feel infinitely bad for whoever owns the pocketwatch build because that thing was a trainwreck in terms of fit and finish. The finish work was awful and it aged very poorly, last I heard the clearcoat had clouded over quite badly, and the original staining also wasnt exactly stellar.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

FTFY

Masoo2 likes this.
  7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It was very much a load-bearing "if" in my post there.

8. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Bruh... this is such a lame ass excuse. If they know that then they should be checking their spam folder regularly. I've had people drop that excuse on me before when given the run around.

Flappydoodle, arasys, Masoo2 and 5 others like this.
  9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

I would reinforce with 24 point allcap lumber.

Rerum Novarum likes this.
  10. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

I didn’t say it was a good one I’m just telling that’s what I was told when I waited like 2 months to hear back for a query on my queue spot.

c7spheres likes this.
  11. NickBen

NickBen SS.org Regular

Definitely not in the "spam" folder as we have been conversing back and forth for a few months. I followed up since they were supposed to send me my new estimate and was told my build was starting shortly. I gave it a month and followed up, no response. And then gave it another month and followed up again - still no response...not trying to make a big deal, I know they're probably swamped, but it's a little concerning now with this issue coming to the forefront. Hopefully, they just address it and we can all move forward. A quick email takes seconds and eliminates any speculation - all they have to say is "really busy, but will follow up with you shortly..." or something like that...

axxessdenied likes this.
  12. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Yeah idk I know one can say in the grand scheme of things they are still a reputable builder since this is like one of the only times flaws have been found, and they've offered to rectify it, I just still don't know how something like that gets sent out unless they thought the OP was literally blind and wouldn't see the issues, or like some worker straight up stole the real guitar and replaced it with a shitty chinese knockoff etc (and said worker would be fired).

13. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

It could be any number of things like you're saying. Someone changin it out for a knowckoff etc, or it could be something as simple as it got put on a completed guitar rack ready to be shipped instead of the rack ready to be inspected etc. We may never know. The future will tell how it pans out for people, but I'd put my money (if I had any) on Daemoness continuing to do the stellar job they usually do.

JimF, Ordacleaphobia and jco5055 like this.
  14. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Feel bad for the OP, hopefully there's some positives out of the refund (ie still getting a banger of a guitar from another manufacturer).

I enjoy a good bout of hanging shit on of a luthier of the BRJ/Vik ilk just as much as anyone else however I think in this case Daemoness gets a chance to see if they can professionally rectify this issue (which by the looks of it they have done by apologising and offering a full rebuild or refund). Now it's a waiting game to see if this repeats itself and frequently at that - the two guitars mentioned in this thread are the only builds that have come up so far that have been less than perfect.

15. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Yeah I didn't think about the guitar rack by accident possibility, that seems most likely the explanation on how you get a guitar sent to you by a highly respected luthier in such a state.

JimF and c7spheres like this.
  16. Mechanos71

Mechanos71 SS.org Regular

046AB1D8-A565-43DF-86E9-0B5760D213AF.jpeg
    Like I said there was another set of guitars that had the scratches issue. Also not trying to put other people’s business out there

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Emperoff likes this.
  17. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Might want to do a better job blocking out the name if that's a concern. You can still see through it. Kinda odd.

drmosh and Jonathan20022 like this.
  18. Mechanos71

Mechanos71 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the heads up... the markup feature didn’t work nearly as well as I would have hoped

19. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I have had some correspondence with Daemoness on these issues and they have stated that they are going to really ramp up scrutiny and there will be nothing coming out of the shop like this again. Having said that I have taken in 3 recently and they have all been perfect including one in the last week which I think was a build from 2017. I also have a build nearing completion so stay tuned for that one.

c7spheres and Blytheryn like this.
  20. WiseSplinter

WiseSplinter SS.org Regular

Damn, I think I saw a video review of that guitar years ago and thought it looked amazing. I don't recall the reviewer having anything bad to say about it, maybe these issues developed later on?

Anyway, hope things work out for you OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.