NGD - Daemoness Cimmerian

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by frogman81, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I think you extrapolate way too much on me. I wish to everyone that enjoys a Daemoness and can wait 5 years, all the best. I could not care less if anyone chooses brand A vs brand B. If you like plain wood guitars and want to pay 4-5 grand it s your decision.
    Everything here is opinions, and we obviously disagree pretty much on everything about Daemoness and fair enough.

Now if you want to parallelize Kiesel with Ed Hardy, I would not agree but I know what you mean. But Skervesen why? They do produce some really nice guitars and people are generally happy. Both Mayones and Skervesen are pretty awsome semi custom shops.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I usually go with Affliction for my comparison—for that extra dose of faux-alpha energy. That said, I don't think money has anything to do with it. There are a lot of shirts that cost both less and more that don't leave you looking like...someone that wears Affliction.

Ordacleaphobia and Forkface like this.
  3. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

I'm pretty impressed with Dylan's statement. I don't really think he could have chosen a better way to move forward. Hopefully he follows through and it works out for him and everyone involved.

I don't think a Daemoness is for you man. I must agree with Narad that at a certain price point, guitars don't really get any technically better. I've only played 2 Daemoness guitars (my failed build and the demo guitar Cerberus) but they played very much the same as a USA Jackson that you could get used for like 1500 USD. Cerberus really reminded me of a Jackson Broderick that I almost bought one time. There isn't anything magical about them. I've been down the road of chasing "mojo" guitars that would somehow inspire my writing and playing to get to the next level and to me, looking back, it was quite childish and silly.

Bettershredthandead and mehegama like this.
  4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

When it comes to guitar designing, some people have it, and some people don't:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even when you get rid of the headstock, they still manage to mess it up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Winspear, oracles, Samark and 2 others like this.
  5. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Those nuts are atrocious

6. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

These headstocks are awful but you can choose other more regular ones. Also this Strandberg style guitar is not necessarily ugly (i hate the strandberg headless guitars) but you picked the worst specific examples purposefully as if this is all they offer. Again that is your opionion. I hope you don't think your opinion is a universal truth. I was refering to the build quality and what they offer. Yes they offer these headstocks too, but again people ask for weird stuff. What you did is as if I was telling you that Dylan's work is this: IMG_2148.jpg IMG_65891.jpg

Azarea, Masoo2, feraledge and 2 others like this.
  7. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

They’re just horribly generic.
    What are you smoking? That’s an amazing example of Dylan’s work.

8. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I can reverse the question and ask you what are you smoking? These guitars look like they were designed by a 10yo, they are absolutely horrendous.

I play music and Avedas like this.
  9. Kovah

Kovah SS.org Regular

I agree the Atlantean shape is awful but the custom shape on the 2nd picture is awesome.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  10. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Think you may have chosen a poor example to use in a discussion with @narad since I think he may have owned one of those...

feraledge, Merrekof and Blytheryn like this.
  11. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

My point is that you can find shitty shapes and designs everywhere. I m sure the guys that ordered these guitars form Skervesen and Daemoness love them. However they are not representative of what they offer and to choose these specific ones is disingenuous. The raptors, Kallisti and the new V look just beautiful. Also Mayones does pretty much 3-4 superstat shapes. But the quality is great.

Blytheryn likes this.
  12. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Didn’t see the second one. Not a fan. Then again, since it’s a full custom shop people can order whatever the hell it is they want. ESP has made tons of weird shit, do I have to like it all? No.

I’ve seen more Daemonesses that I like than Skervesens or Mayones or whatever European semi custom shop that makes blackmachine ripoffs with gross burls and those awful headstocks aimed at djent boys with a pluralized noun band name. If that floats your boat, great.

At least they look metal as hell, which is more than a Skervesen or Mayones. No harm no foul, just my 0.02.

13. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I just choose some I found ridiculous to me. That's just my opinion. I m sure that the guys that ordered those awful (again to me) headstocks, they loved them. It is ok people to have different opinions. That's what forums are for. Now if he has one of these I did not do it on purpose!

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  14. narad

lol, I literally ordered the top one. But my point is that Skervesen designs are generic tweaks on existing designs. They can't even commit to how they should change the blackmachine headstock. Maybe if we change this? Maybe if we add a lump here? All terrible.

Look at Dylan's standard headstock. Original design, right off the bat. Unique design accent. And it looks great in person the way the extra cut is actually beveled. You can argue otherwise, but I think 90% of SSO is going to be against you if you think a Skervesen headstock is a better design:

[​IMG]

And regarding the Atlantean, I think it's still a bit of a moot comparison. The Atleantean is SUPPOSED to be over the top. It's supposed to be like a battleaxe in guitar form. It's a metal brand. You could say the same sort of stuff for the entirety of BC Rich's line up, but that's exactly what they're going for. For me the satin finish on the burl wasn't a good call because that body looked great in glossy base coat. The "veins" of the burl were awesome. This is the one that inspired me to go with it:

[​IMG]

Similarly with the inlay, the pattern Dylan sketch out was awesome and we discussed materials and decided on bronze powder, I thought it was going to be awesome, like a metal inlaid in the wood. In reality it gets a bit lost in the frets (because it's so complicated) and the epoxy inlays don't keep quite a straight line as a solid inlay. But I want to point this out to the people that are new-ish to customs: it never works out the way you want it to. There's never been a custom I've ordered out of .. I don't know, maybe 12 at this point, that was 100% exactly what I invisioned. I basically just got old enough to not get so hung up on it. Dylan was damn close with my Cimmerian though.

Meanwhile the goal of Skevesen's headless design was presumably not intentionally trying to look like a Strandberg popcicle left out on a sunny day. That was genuinely just their best attempt at making a "nice" looking guitar. Like...damn...

15. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I hate all Skervesen headstocks bar the Viper (3rd one down on Narad's post). Saying that, the example given is not my bag.

16. Bettershredthandead

Bettershredthandead Shredding 'till dead

Yeah and that's what I'm figuring too from this whole boutique industry. I've been a long time Jackson and Ibanez player and I honestly think beyond them is mostly 'carving the guild' or whatever that saying is. That's not to say they are perfect brands and that's also not to say that I don't think Dylan has some impressive skills. I was ready to go 3700 USD for a Daemoness but things changed as we all know.

(possible) Final Thoughts: I believe Dylan is an artist. I mean I can tell by not only what he offers but also his business skills. That's not meant to be a dis either, but just the way it is with artists. Ultimately, me personally, I sincerely doubt there is really anything out there that is justifiably worth 5K let alone can be justified to jump up in price considerably while waiting for a build to get done in guitardom unless you put your whole heart and soul into believing it is.

17. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

Hahaha that's a winning quote

18. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

man, those shoggies are just :facepalm:

Winspear, StevenC and xzacx like this.
  19. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

That's what you are paying for. You are paying for the artistry. That's what sets them apart from your MM or Ibanez or whatever your brand of choice is.

Regarding those guitars posted (atlantean and the other one) I really cannot stand the regular orientated headstock at all, but in reverse it looks fucking amazing!

I doubt a plain daemoness will run you 5k, but please bear in mind the hours upon hours that go into planning, researching, designing and finally producing the art on his instruments. Art is rarely cheap, and dylan has established his talents fairly well.

It's a shame the custom shop will close commissions as I was hoping to order at some point (obviously I should have in 2013!)

And the subject of reviews, I've owned my cimmerian for 8+ years now. It's not going anywhere. It's the best sounding 7 I own, incredibly light and resonant and simply fun to play besides being beautiful.

With a custom shop you get a lot of options you won't get buying high end off the rack. Such as being able to specify a particularly light piece of wood for the body, wood figure characteristics, etc, that people often forget about (if you want to go into such depth of course. I know exactly what I want out of a guitar body so I tend to specify such when making a custom order. Dylan does (at least did) hand select his timber and seems to understand what makes a good piece of timber for an instrument.

20. narad

To me even the name basically says, hey, we don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.