NGD - Daemoness Cimmerian

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by frogman81, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

built it, knew it looked like dogshit, still shipped it. only did anything due to the potential blowback right?

says a lot imo. hard pass.

Masoo2, anthony.drake, mlp187 and 2 others like this.
  2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I think that's quite an assumption. This is the same guy that's offered to take in guitars that people buy used and give them a proper tune-up free of charge. Dylan's always seemed to approach the way he does business with a certain creed and devotion I think a lot of builders lack. I mean, it's hard to meet the guy and walk away thinking guitars are just like his "day job". He's really devoted to it.

Anyone can fall on tough times though. I don't know what's going on there...certainly Barnes leaving is worrisome, and a much bigger red flag to me than OPs build.

3. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

But this is the issue: Dylan has a very good reputation, and his guitars are great too. Why risk all of this by not addressing the issue? It s not like it will be gone overnight. It will only get worse, and that s a shame for such a great brand like Daemoness

foreright and Blytheryn like this.
  4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Not only offered, but has actually done.

5. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I think the whole keep on taking orders when you are way far behind on building them is the key to the whole thing. Daemoness was on point like ten or even eight years ago. Once the periphery boys got thiers and the bandwagon flooded Dylan with orders, NGDs have been very few and far between while the wait list and wait times keep getting longer. It's not sustainable.

JimF, Flappydoodle, c7spheres and 2 others like this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- It would be great if he'd sell out to Hoshino then maybe I could finally get an archtop with LoPRo I can affford!
    - Seriously though, the major problem is not communicating and updating people while not meeting deadlines and still taking deposits. He literally can ease the tension with an update on his website. It only would only take an hour.

IbanezDaemon and Musiscience like this.
  7. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Idk for me, it's all the money going in with very little coming out that is worrisome to me. If there were guitars being delivered on a steady basis, I could just think he's too busy getting work done to be checking the computer.

If you know you are only going to build two or three guitars per year, you shouldn't be taking money from people in advance for guitars that will not be born for another five to six years.

If you put down a deposit on a guitar you know won't be completed for five years and the cost at completion has to be adjusted for inflation...

c7spheres, anthony.drake and Merrekof like this.
  8. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I'm really curious what is all behind Deamoness. Perhaps his business model is flawed and he needs the deposits to complete this years builds?
    In terms of aesthetics, Deamoness is beyond Ran but I'd put more trust in Ran guitars for example and we all know how that ended up..

Adieu and mbardu like this.
  9. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I guess when you produce 3 guitars per year and you keep taking and taking orders, that s what happens.. And that's the good scenario..

Adieu likes this.
  10. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

When you only produce 3 guitars a year (I expect he's making more than that though...) you HAVE to keep taking orders otherwise you don't have enough money coming in to live on! I suspect that's actually the real problem here - he needs the deposits otherwise there's simply not enough cash flow - but clearly if you do this, you get massive backlog and eventually everything goes "pop" as it's a pyramid / ponzi scheme.

11. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

The number 3 was more of a figure of speech. What you say is probably right though. If deposits cover current costs then this operating model is not sustainable.

12. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

man, this whole thread is just so... sad
    the problem with the lack of comms is that people start jumping to conclusions, so it becomes a vicious cycle of more non-responsiveness, more conclusions, and you tarnish your reputation very quickly.
    I've straight up wanted a Daemoness since the first time i saw one... and this thread alone has made me not want one anymore.

"Troy wasn't built in a day, but it sure as hell fell in one"

JimF and Kovah like this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Yeah the unresponsiveness coupled with the build in the OP is making me want to not go any further with my build.

14. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

NVM.
    This thread is not upping my confidence in small builders, that's for sure..

15. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

It was discussed a few pages back...out of curiosity, would you think that the general public would prefer to purchase "in stock" builds from small builders? Or do you think the majority of people in the market for a boutique build would want to hand pick every spec?

16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Don't you know how these people are?
    "I'd buy that guitar if it had Fishmans/BKPs/EMGs/..."
    "I'd buy that guitar if it had a TOM/Floyd/Evertune/...."
    The list goes on... :p
    What Ormsby and Solar do works imo. Small batches with changing specs. That keeps the buyers interested and there will be something coming along for everyone at some point.

JimF, iff, Flappydoodle and 4 others like this.
  17. 2liveis2die35

2liveis2die35 SS.org Regular

I think people would love both..those that don't want to wait can get an In stock build and try the brand out.those that want a full blown custom can go that route.

dmlinger likes this.
  18. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

So true. There's always ONE spec that keeps them from pulling the trigger. Those are also the same people that kick tires with no real intent of buying.

"Pickguard has 5 screws instead of 6...too bad bc I'd totally buy it"

iff and 2liveis2die35 like this.
  19. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

This reminds me, isn't there someone on SSO that refuses to buy an Ibanez because he wants something very specific like I think an ebony fretboard with black hardware combo or something lol? No hate if there is, that just made me think of this talk on how to make specs for everyone to be happy with without being a custom shop.

JimF likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Two different customers, with some moderate overlap.

There's a reason all the big boutique builders do in-stock builds, those who ship direct and those who go through dealers who order in-stocks.

To an extent you haven to ignore a lot of the noise on forums and social media. Typically, the folks whining about specs are mostly tire kickers with no intent on ordering. You have to listen to what actually sells, both your own orders and similar contemporaries.

If you build fancy Strats, like Suhr or Anderson, you'll notice that 99% of the in-stock stuff they make has fairly standard necks and hardware, but fancy tops in cool colors. That's because that's what sells in that space.

JimF, Adieu, Ataraxia2320 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.