NGD - Daemoness Cimmerian

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by frogman81, Oct 23, 2019.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Yes. I would chat about them a good bit on here but that's really just trying to help people out as I do have some experience with the brand and the wait times. I'd actually chat a lot more about Ibanez guitars online than Daemoness.

Totally agree with you on the communication thing with some of these guys. I've heard that as well about Jonathan at Feline on numerous occasions. Guys were inquiring about builds and never heard back. You'd think they would take a few hours of their working week and sit down and reply to people. Doug Campbell is basically unreachable I think...you can't even get one of his guitars without being carefully selected. I think he has other priorities to be fair and to a large extent has distanced himself from the whole guitar building thing. Dylan is just not a social media guy at all...he hates it. He def needs somebody on board again to handle that side of things. Barnes was very useful at that....always quick to reply to messages. Now I'm not sure if Barnes is back on board or what. I haven't spoken to him in a few months. Dylan is supposed to ring me this week for an update on things. I'll be very surprised if he actually does...he's just like that. It's understandable to a point as he has told me before that he is always busy beyond belief. I'd be the complete opposite...if I say I'm going to do something or contact somebody I will do it 100% without fail. For other people like me who are punctual, the lack of replies and builds running way over time would drive you mad...lol!

2. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

that's just so annoying. I ve been trying to get in touch via all platforms available (new email, fb, ig, site form) and simply getting no answer. i m in 26 months so needed an update getting near the 30th month but hearing that the 30 months are in reality 60... if that is the case i m super disappointed.

3. Bettershredthandead

Bettershredthandead Shredding 'till dead

Something has really broken down. I emailed Dylan recently and we had tentatively arranged to skype today. In the email he mentioned that there were alot of changes and challenges to how he is doing business these days. Come the time we were supposed to skype today, nothing happened. No email of cancellation, or anything like that.

I mentioned as an alternate we could do a weekday this week, but it would have been nice to get some notice that he couldn't do today as we had planned or even just a reschedule. Not exactly sure what to make of it all but like I said, some things have seem to have really broken down over on his end.

Solodini and Velokki like this.
  4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I should have spent that 600 quid on a bottle of rare whisky or something.

Adieu likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The old "took too many orders" problem.

It's great having that many in the queue, but if something happens all the problems are compounded.

Dylan could not have predicted COVID19, but it could have equally been a tumble down the stairs, a careless driver, an inattentive chef, or a bolt of lightning. When you run so thin, you're bound to get fucked by the universe eventually.

It's really a shame, as thier reputation was practically without blemish for nearly a decade, which is an eternity in this business.

Hopefully they can work thier way out of it.

6. Bettershredthandead

Feeling the same way...

And at first I thought it wouldn't have been that big of a deal since my turn around was initially for 2 years. If I was told rather the turn around was to be 5 years, I would have been like 'well nice talkin' to ya, bye...'. And as things have unfolded, times are now a bit precarious...

I was particularly optimistic too when I made the order since I had just come off a build that went extremely well with a reasonable turn around time, price, and a product that came out, overall, pretty darn good. After going through this, and also learning a lot about what makes a guitar good these past few years, I think this will be the last custom-boutique order that I embark on. I just hope it ends well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    mehegama and Velokki like this.
  7. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Oh I feel ya... how much easier is it to just get a great ESP, Ibanez, or even a used custom shop guitar? I might get a new Aristides down the line, but other than that, I think I'm completely over with custom shop stuff, too. Just too much hassle, stress and huge price tags.

Solodini likes this.
  8. Bettershredthandead

Dude, word.

Its funny too because when I started doing boutique-custom shop orders 5 years ago, everyone was so cynical about factory builds, saying the pricing and quality and overall service is better with small shops. However after treading down these paths, the conclusion I have made is that the big names still deliver well. One way or another. Even with the custom-boutique order I did 5 years ago that went well, that guitar really doesn't play or sound better than almost any used MIJ Jackson or Ibanez you'll pull off the shelf at a Guitar Center. I still have all my old MIJ Jackson and Ibanez's in my collection after all these years and now appreciate them even more for what they are and are capable of doing. Especially at the prices you can pick them up at.

Even Ibanez still makes new guitars off their Prestige line that are incredibly well priced when factoring current market conditions and with exceptional quality. One of which I've held back on acquiring cause of this build being in the que. Lesson learned.

bifftannen, Velokki and fps like this.
  9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

God, seeing this bumped and revisiting this is just depressing

Obviously the guitar looks like complete shit, which is disappointing

But the lack of any real explanation is baffling. "Eye strain". Rofl. Eye strain on the specific days when he cut the frets, installed the bridge, filed the frets, did the pinstripes, did the buffing, did the QC, packed the guitar for shipping... it's just such a transparently bullshit excuse.

Either Dylan is totally losing his skills, or something went very wrong with this specific guitar, and obviously they're not being truthful about it.

Masoo2 likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The guitar was in numerous photo shoots until...it wasn't, and then this shows up.

If I had to guess I'd say the original guitar was either damaged somehow or there was a fatal material flaw noticed only at the end and the instrument we see in this thread was the hasty rebuild/rework.

I've seen that happen with other builders, an order that's behind in queue, the customer chomping at the bit, it's all ready to go, you even tell the customer it's already shipped, and BAM something major happens/is noticed and you need to get something out the door ASAP lest you admit not everything is okay and you told a lie.

That's my take.

11. Flappydoodle

Can't wait until someone accuses you of wild conspiracy theories, rofl

And yeah, I agree. That seems the most likely theory to me. It's a stunningly bad display of judgment on the part of Daemoness, but it's the only thing which reasonably explains the current situation.

Just gotta keep an eye on the new builds coming from them and make sure this really is a one-off, not a sign of things to come.

12. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That's not really a conspiracy theory, just a possible explanation.

My conspiracy theory is that it was an attempt to cut down the queue by putting people off going through with a build.

RiksRiks likes this.
  13. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

if someone can somehow get in touch with him, can he ask him to come clear about the waiting times and the whole situation? if it is 60 months, it is what it is, but i would like to know that, so i manage my expectations.

14. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

yeah i am just to stick to my cheap production guitars that i can get in a few days, not half a decade. small builder syndrome is not anything i want to sign myself up for if this is the stuff you get after that long. i probably don't even want to know how much something like this cost. makes no sense to me, but as stated i am not the target market for this stuff.

THEBOTTOMLINE likes this.
  15. Flappydoodle

I got accused of pushing illogical conspiracy theories when I posted four words of speculating that Dylan might have outsourced something, which would explain the unusually shit quality of this guitar. That’s even though I made one post on page 8 (4 weeks after OP posted his NGD.) References to the Loch Ness monster were made. Seems some people are overly defensive.

Weird thing is - why are Daemoness still taking deposits and telling people 30 months? Unless there are massive efficiency improvements in the pipeline, that seems optimistic to the point of just being a total lie. If the build queue is impossibly large, if they just gave people a realistic estimate, I bet a good number would willingly drop out.

Problem is, Dylan clearly gives priorities and the build queue is not as fair as it is portrayed. Loads of artists have got guitars, and I doubt they were putting deposits down in 2014-15. There are also some YouTube guys I know of who are receiving Daemoness guitars, again jumping the queue.

Even more disturbing that OP paid the full cost of the guitar and didn’t get it for 18 months after.

The £600 isn’t a big deal to me, but I was looking forward to a guitar in 2021, but it’s certainly not going to happen.

Emperoff, Kovah, Masoo2 and 1 other person like this.
  16. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yes, it still sounds like a conspiracy theory, especially when tying in the idea of Dylan outsourcing it to some ghost builder. And didn't help that you ended the post with ~ it looks like the same guitar, "But who really knows". It seems like a prehistoric creature the size of a bus wouldn't be alive today, living out its life in a single body of water in Scotland, the last of its kind, while failing to be captured in detail by any sort of imaging technology, but who really knows?

Dan at Oni was setting up my guitar for final photos when it tipped over and smashed on the floor. He said, yea, this happened, it'll take a while to refinish it. From the builder's pov that seems like a lot easier than ...shit... gotta buy time... can't build it myself (have too many artist builds)... have to ignore the emails....find another bulider....maybe aliexpress.....

RiksRiks and StevenC like this.
  17. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

Can we get some info on the queue jumping ? He needs to inform us if the 30 months are still valid. At 15 months I was told by Barnes: "We’re halfway there I’d say, and our estimate of 30 months to commence the build is going to be about right with our current workload". Is this still on?

18. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

No horse in this race at all - mainly just a spectator of the Instagram because the pictures are pretty. However, I think he's mentioned a couple times that artist builds were done after hours in his free time where he normally wouldn't be working on customer builds.

Take from that what you will. Can't comment on the YouTube people - had never heard that. At some point maybe this should transition to the actual Daemoness thread?

19. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

OP here. While the rebuild is possible, I think it’s an unlikely explanation. After speaking at length about the guitar on Skype with Barnes after he left Daemoness, there wasn’t really any hints at that (or outsourcing or anything else weird) having happened. My theory had been that Barnes largely built it, but he (Barnes) still maintains that he didn’t get involved more than some rough sanding and wiring. Barnes did admit to identifying flaws in the guitar that had to be rectified while it was still at the shop. My best attempt to explain the situation is that Dylan was focused on Kyle’s guitar and Vitriol’s tour and all the band promo stuff he was doing at the time, and my guitar was just another sausage to push out the end of the factory by that point and he didn’t really care about it.

I should mention that I could have easily taken the pics in flattering light and sold it to everyone here as an amazing build. Though the flaws were significant, as many people know, photographing them was still quite difficult. It was easier to take pics at the right angle that showed a glossy reflection than it was to catch the buffing swirls in the light. I could have easily given the guitar the instagram model treatment and made it look awesome. I think this explains the great pics Dylan shared of it. It’s no secret that he’s quite savvy at social media. In fact, the devil on my shoulder suggested doing just that and then just selling it off to the next Joe Schmo. I didn’t do that of course, but this experience reinforces my belief that it happens a lot in this weird boutique guitar world.

Random trivia - after getting back to the shop, the guitar was rebuffed, routed, had a neck pickup installed, and shipped off to another customer. I have just been waiting for it to appear as a NGD on here.

Ataraxia2320, bifftannen and Masoo2 like this.
  20. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Wth? Why are there bewbies inside the control cavity of a plainly finished black lowend Ibanez RG knockoff???