[NGD] Cort KX500 Etched Black

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by The Mirror, Mar 23, 2021.

1. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

We all know what really matters in the beginning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basics:

- 25.5 " Scale
    - Rather flat 15.75 " Fretboard Radius
    - 24 Frets
    - Mahagony Body with Sand Blasted Ash Burl Top
    - 5 Pieces Maple & Amaranth Neck
    - Cort Locking Tuners
    - Fluence Modern PUs
    - 2 Push/Pull Potis, Coil Split in Tone, Active/Passive Voicing in Volume

So as the story goes, almost everyone owned or owns a de-facto Cort guitar, due to the fact that Cor-Tek is probably the biggest OEM manufacturer on the planet, building or having built guitars for Schecter, Ibanez, Fender, you name it and actually having a full factory that exclusively builds the PRS SE line.

I myself own 3 PRS SEs that were made by Cor-Tek.

So after all that time I thought to myself: Why not drop the fancy names and go directly to the source.

Enter a ridiculously good Ebay offer in which I got a brand new, unplayed KX 500 Etched for 400 € instead of the retail price of ~ 750 € here in Germany and that was it.

I know that Cort has had it's ups and downs since they began in the 70s, with many years of those times being dropped as low-level trash that no one should buy (except for entry-level acoustics), but if this guitar is an example for what Cort does these days under their own label I don't think there is any logical reason for anyone to not buy a Cort guitar.

Sure, the setup in the beginning was bad, in that it played everything way too safe to not risk fret buzz, but even after adjusting the truss rod and action WAY low, it plays without any buzz.

I didn't have enough time with it for now, but my initial reaction after setup was that it played cleaner with lower action than my PRS Holcomb.

Add the fact that the thing comes with stock Fishman Fluence Moderns - which alone cost around 200 € here, what in turn would make the whole price I paid reasonable as just being the fanciest package for new PUs you could imagine - and I have no idea how this thing is even possible.

Even for the retail price of 750 € this would be the best guitar I ever played in that price range.

The fret ends are totally clean, the neck is a bit rougher than the Satin Finish on my Holcomb (no shit), but extremely comfortable, the flat radius is perfect for me (coming from classical guitar, initially) and the options of the Fluence Moderns are rivaling my beloved Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega, though I absolutely prefer the latter as of now.

If I had anything to nag it would be that it is rather fiddly to put in a new 9v Battery, as the cables are too short to pull out the battery-clip for a comfortable switch, but if it annoys me too much in the future I'll just put in some longer cables and be done with it.

I have no idea how Cort is doing at the moment, but if this is the direction and people can get over the bad connotations with the name they might be the defining winner in the mid-budget metal-oriented guitar market.

tl;dr: First Cort electric, certainly not least.

Alex79, mlp187, Trashgreen and 6 others like this.
  2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Nothing wrong there man. Been intrigued with these, just don’t need any more guitars. Nice to know they’re solid tho. Thanks for the review!

3. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Since SSO just keeps deleting images that were visible a few minutes ago (and doesn't let users edit posts after a while), I'll just paste the imgur link directly:

https://imgur.com/a/57lM9lb

4. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

imgur hasn't worked here in years.

They show up in the quoted message. Strange.

5. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

Sweet guitar. I've never played a Cort but I recently found out a couple local shops carry them.