NGD: Chapman ML7-S

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by TedEH, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Pictures first! I also just got a new camera, so this was a good excuse to see how bad of a photographer I am.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weird tool mark on the neck?
    [​IMG]
    Some cosmetic flaws in the neck joint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ Needed to include the 'Kiesel' shot. :lol:

I already gave my initial thoughts in the what-guitar-should-I-buy thread, so I'll more or less just say the same thing here for anyone who missed it:

So far so good. Setup was ok out of the box, but I did adjust the neck back juuuuust a tiny bit. Intonation is close enough, so I haven't touched it. The angles I took the photos from exaggerate the string height, it's not as high as it looks. Not super-shreddy low, but I like a bit more height than the average shredder I think. It's in a good spot where I can do big ol' chords without anything buzzing out. Fretwork is as good as any production guitar I've picked up, there's no weird dead spots or lifted frets or anything like that, everything seems good and flat. I'm not super picky about fretwork though. I think it's possible the nut needs a tiny bit of work, cause the high E seemed to get stuck once after bending or something, and trying to get back into tune just snapped the string. After putting a new set on, it hasn't happened again though, so maybe the strings that were on it were old and terrible (they were supposed to be new). The spec showed different tuners depending on what site you looked at, but the ones that came with it were the locking tuners. I'm liking the locks so far.

I'm not a shreddy kind of player, but there's more high fret access than I was expecting, so that's a plus. The pickups are usable but kinda "boring" for lack of a better description. I really like the coil split (tap? split? whatever?). The neck sounds good in that mode. Pinch harmonics are super easy to do on this thing though. My Ibanez liked to feedback a lot, this one doesn't. I took it to jam the other day and at volume, through a Mark V:25, didn't need a ton of gain, sounded good enough that I'm not in a rush to swap pickups for now.

It's darker coloured than I expected, but I like it that way. There are a couple of visible finish problems, most notably at the neck joint, which is hard to describe because of how it's constructed- I tried to capture it in that second last picture. The red body colour sort of spills over onto the neck wood a bit. You don't feel it, it's only cosmetic. One spot on the neck has was looks like a tool mark on it. None of that's a deal breaker, but the more I type, the more I realize that the time I've spent on this forum has made me more picky than I realized.

I dig it. I'm happy with what I got. I bought it because I was getting tired of/annoyed with having my only good 7 be something with a trem on it. Wanted a decent 7 with a fixed bridge, so that's what I got. :yesway:

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Looks cool!

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats!

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

Congrats and HNGD man!

That looks killer man, nice and clean

5. ibanez4lifesz

ibanez4lifesz @TheGuitarRack

Congrats! Really like the natural look on this one.

6. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

So strange how Chapmans are built in Korea and they can align the neck angle correctly for hipshot, yet some american brands cant :lol:

7. Mikeitloud

Mikeitloud SS.org Regular

Very nice

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Thanks fellas. (And/or ladies? I'm gonna guess all fellas, :lol:)

Couple o weeks in and I haven't picked up the Ibanez this is replacing as the #1 (Ibby I guess is officially the backup now). Didn't take very long at all to get used to the slightly beefier neck, and I think the string spacing is a tiny bit wider too, but it doesn't seem to bug me. Tuning stability has been fine, I usually tune once and can make it through jam with minimal adjustments. I had been mildly worried that the fret ends would be sharp, but that's been fine.

The true test will be on Saturday, we're doing a CD release show/party, which will be a long set (for us).