NGD : Carvin DC800, Koa body/neck, Claro Walnut top

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Rev2010, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

That's one of the best tops I've seen from Carvin's stash of walnut. You also scored big on that Koa! I've seen some with very little figure.

2. revclay

revclay SS.org Regular

They hooked it up with some tasty pieces of wood on this one. I can't decide which is better: the subtle figure of the Koa on the back or the symmetrical figuring of the Walnut top. HNGD!

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Trust me bro, I was biting my nails! I didn't want plain straight tan wood. I'm so glad it has dark and light spots. Only thing better I can imagine is a flamed Koa neck and body, but that would be much more pricey. :D

Rev

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So I plugged it in and played it for a few, nothing substantial as I'm really waiting for the weekend to give her some good playing time. So far I really am still preferring the EMG 808's in my other 8-string. The Carvin pickups sound "noisier" and less clear overall. I've read many say they've very hot output pickups, this could be why. The bass end is very nice and tight so palm mutes really punch through, moreso than my 808 guiitar. But when I power chord and play some highs in harmony, for example, it just gets sloppier and harder to discern the notes. Even the overtone in a riff I play on my latest track just doesn't seem to ring out... could that be the Elixir strings? Listen to this track here to get what I'm saying about the riff. **THIS TRACK IS DONE ON MY OTHER SCHECTER RIOT-8!!!!** It's NOT done on the Carvin, please read that again. The part with the overtone is at 3:57, you'll hear the overtone at the end of each riff repeat:

https://soundcloud.com/illusionbank/all-will-be-dust-heavy-bass

That overtone is barely audible on the Carvin. I'm really just thinking it's either the pickups, the brand new strings, or maybe because they're Elxirs? I've never once tried Elxir strings.

I measured out the pickups and they are the exact same dimensions as EMG 808's. Now, it's way too soon of course to tell if I want to swap out the pickups, but if I do swap them out can someone confirm EMG's will go in fine? I know I'll need to change out the electronics so not a problem there, just curious.

**EDIT - crap, it just hit me. The overtone... is it possibly not ringing out now because of the different guitar scale length? My Schecter Riot 8 is 26.5" and the Carvin 27". Would that extra length basically change the overtones for each respective position?

Rev.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Looks awesome! Congrats!

6. Carnage

Carnage one srs peach

beautiful top, HNGD!

7. mr_ormus777

mr_ormus777 Grey Alien

Sydney, Australia, formerly Zeta Reticuli
    CONGRATS!!! She's a beauty, HNGD!!!:hbang:

8. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

This is absolutely gorgeous! HNGD

9. Veritech Zero

Veritech Zero Jeffy Turbo

I got chills down my back looking at those pictures, that is GORGEOUS! Congratulations! I just got into the 8 string game, but that would be dream guitar for me. I've heard awesome things about Carvins, do you think it was worth all the extra you had to pay? How does it play? Sound?

Edit: I just saw you post about how it sounds, though I'm not sure extra scale length would change the overtones, as far as I've had experience with a longer/shorter scale only really changes where the harmonics are located on the strings.

10. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Wow! That's a beautiful piece of wood!! Congrats!

11. LolloBlaskhyrt

LolloBlaskhyrt HD Pro abuser

WOW! Congrats!

12. Cowboyfromhell

Cowboyfromhell SS.org Regular

looks gorgeous ! Congrats and HNGD!

13. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I told you I would stalk you until this was posted.... all the way from Afghanistan lol. But HNGD how does the neck feel compared to the schecter?

14. Defect Noises

Defect Noises Member

great guitar!

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

The neck is just a tad thicker than my Schecter Riot 8 which has the SLS Ultra Thin profile. I can tell the difference switching between the two but it's not an issue at all. It's a fairly thin neck but not Ibanez thin. I had the original release Schecter BlackJack C7 and that neck was thick and after a long time playing it would start to tire my fretting hand. The Carvin neck feels quite comfortable and upper fret access is excellent.

As an update, Carvin was kind enough to offer the $30 jet black fretboard refund due to the visible streak from the 13th - 24th frets. They offered the refund or $50 credit towards another purchase. Mighty admirable of them :yesway:

Rev.

16. Mike

Mike The Traveler

looks amazing man...love the darker woods on this one everything works together perfectly HNGD!

17. Jessy

Jessy Banned

Yes, EMGs and Q-tuners fit fine. The other companies copied EMG's 40-series housing. I've been using EMG 40DCXs (probably should have gone with 40JX) and will be switching to Q-tuner as soon as the 4-conductor versions are available.

I'm not sure that you will need to change out the electronics. You might be able to rewire what's stock. I just completely took all of their electronics out, and put my own in, so I have no experience.

The figuring of your top is amazing, by the way. I may have to go with that wood when Carvin makes a multiscale 8. Except, in teal. I don't like brown.

18. Cloudy

Cloudy Pacific Wood Lab

Claro tops make me so happy, you made the right choice man.

19. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Hey Short Guy, I just checked the info on Carvin's site and their measurements put the neck thickness at the same as Schecter's Hellraiser and ATX C-8's.

Rev.

20. FarBeyondDriven16

FarBeyondDriven16 Well-Known Member

Koa and Walnut are the most beautiful woods i've ever seen :bowdown: :eek: