NGD: Carvin DC727

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great color/quilt combo! I'm looking into a pelagic void.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations 🎊🎉🍾
I love these carvins
I recently owned a blood red quilted one and kind of wish I had kept it but I traded towards my RG3727
I love the necks on these and the upper fret acces is nuts

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I have nowhere else to post this so I'm live tweeting it here.

First of all fuck the carvin pickup routes. I have no idea why they'd use a non standard size. I shaved down the imperium's and they BARELY fit. So much so I still might take this to the Luthier in the future to fix the routes. When people write here about sanding down pickups to fit in carvin routes it's usually a 1-2 sentence blurb and you think gee how bad can it be. Let me be the guy to tell you don't do it. Just get the routes professionally fixed. I don't like the way these pickups fit in at all.

Second the wiring. Soldering into this preamp circuit was AIDS. If I were smart I would've left the leads on the circuit and been done in 5 minutes but I'm not a smart man. I wired both pickups in reverse on accident and got no signal. Took me a couple hours to realize my mistake. Thankfully I took a pic of the wiring before diving in, that saved my ass.

Thirdly, and probably worst. Finally everything is wired and working. I go to close everything up and then I start tightening the mini toggles, these are the phase in/out, single/dual for each pickup. The phase toggle sheered off on the inside and broke. Great.... Now the bridge pickup gets no volume. At this point I'm considering ripping the whole active system out (still am). I took the switch off the board and looked inside and it definitely looked broken. I ended up ripping the switch open and thankfully because I'm an engineer I decided to see if I could fix the switch (who does this???).

I ended up somehow putting the switch back together and it works. I had to solder the insert to the metal part of the switch so it is janky and kind of weak. Going to order a new switch to replace it one day. I can't believe I ripped apart a mini toggle down to the innards and fixed it and it worked.

This is such a headache that if I ever have to do any work in this guitar again with wiring or pickups I'm just having them redo it. I might just remove the whole circuit, put in standard pots and use toggles for coil tapping stuff.

/Blog end

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a devotee of single volume and a 3-way switch, the sheer amount of options you have gives me the fear. And your recently found wiring shenanigans has confirmed that.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
As a devotee of single volume and a 3-way switch, the sheer amount of options you have gives me the fear. And your recently found wiring shenanigans has confirmed that.
Yeah I'm a big fan of 1 volume and a 3 way.

I think ideally I'd just go 3 way, Les Paul volume/tone setup and use the 3 mini toggles for some tapping/splits.

I am OCD with some stuff so it would bother me if the switches were non function and bother me even more if there were just holes in my guitar

Also the active system really seems useless.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am OCD with some stuff so it would bother me if the switches were non function and bother me even more if there were just holes in my guitar

I'm the same, I'd rather have little blanking plugs! Its still a gorgeous guitar though.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
That Carvin is nice and all but what is that green one? I can't stop looking at it.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
How do you like that single coil? Is that an sa7?
It's an SA-7. I'm a big fan of single coils in the neck position, so I relaly like it. It's a very smooth sound and doesn't sound weak/noisy like other single coils can. I mostly don't like the EMG81-7X in the bridge but I've been too lazy to change that one out.