NGD: Blackmachine B6

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by IbanezDaemon, Feb 22, 2019.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Lol!!! Or with a bit more hype....

infinity-million-dollars-dr-evil-meme.png

jephjacques and DickyTripleD like this.
  2. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I think the B6 is a fine guitar, with some really special touches - the singing resonance of the slim body being the most impressive thing.

But yeah, a well-built Tom Anderson, some PRS'es and especially Aristides will get you that and more.

I find the magic lay in the finish - it's just nearly unfinished wood with super tight construction. There's nothing deadening the tone, no "blankets to cover the sound", so to say.

The one thing I find completely retarded is the jack placement. Like.. why? Impossible to play classically.

3. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

How about the lack of belly cut? Or the joke that is the arm rest?
    But yes, the jack placement is beyond stupid.

4. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Right, good points. Didn't notice any discomfort while playing it though, but it is definitely not designed with ergonomics as 1# priority. It's just a design - for some tastes, maybe a bit dated and too "industrial" in its simplicity and barebones outlook.

For better or worse, they did inspire a lot of companies to come up with their copies of the design, but I find many luthiers who started to copy and improve on the BM design also lost a lot of the original guitar's meaning, coming up with crazy tops and paints. Sure - beautiful and tonally more versatile, especially Skervesen with their WDM. But none of the copies I've played have had that resonance and the super light weight. This is why I still thought of the B6 as something special in its own right, compared to a lot of other guitars.

But then again, if you want to be purely rational, for ex. an Ibanez Prestige will get you so much value and a more ergonomic design. Blackmachines are just a silly boutique type of thing, which definitely will continue to divide opinions. I happened to like mine, and especially the resonance did put a grin on my face every time. But for tonal diversity and playing ergonomics whilst sitting down (jack socket placement), I always picked up my PRS or Skervie.

Now, whether they're 3000€ good is a question that everyone has their own answer to. Would never pay more than that, though. And it makes, as I said in my own review thread, those who try to ask 5K-10K for a used B6 look like opportunistic clowns! :D You're essentially selling a guitar worth 2-3K + air worth of 3-7K.

5. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

I haven't had any issues playing in the classical position with the jack placement, but I also use a 90-degree phono on all my guitars. It would be very uncomfortable with a straight plug.

6. DickyTripleD

DickyTripleD SS.org Regular

What Id' be interested in is whether or not someone is making something that melds those two factors together well. I would say the S series, but I can't dig the neck shape, and I have no experience with any of the BMs to tell if the weight/resonance is actually comparable.

7. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

The guitars sell for what they sell for. Nobody is paying those crazy asking prices for any B6.