NGD: Blackmachine B6

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by IbanezDaemon, Feb 22, 2019.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Scored this mint Blackmachine B6 (Feline obvs) a good few weeks ago. It's a pretty cool guitar. First thing that strikes you is how light the thing is, really surprising when my stable includes a lot of mahogany bodied monsters.. Very well made guitar and rings out loudly unplugged. Plays effortlessly with a wonderful neck carve, slim but not Original Wizard slim. I really love the ASL Blackbird pickups (designed in collaboration with Doug Campbell). They have amazing sustain and exceptional clarity, I tried them through some real high gain settings and every note rings out clearly even when playing full 6 note chords, they are however quite unforgiving in that they are super sensitive so do require you to be on top of your muting etc. Coil tapped as well so the guitar has some lovely sparkly cleans and glassy strat tones. Very impressed with them...def BKP quality at much more affordable prices.

Few things I didn't like: The guitar has a very thin coat of lacquer on it and by thin I mean you'd think someone gave it a quick once over with a spray can, no doubt in an attempt to help tone but your fingernails would mark this pretty easily. The jack socket placement sucks, especially if you are prone to practising a lot in the 'classical position'. Fretwork could be a bit better, I can feel too much of the fret edges when running my hand up and down the neck, nothing sharp trust me but def not J Custom fret finishing. Frets are also too low profile for me and the fret job overall feels like something on a late 80's/early 90's RG. I'd be much happier with Jescar Super Jumbo for sure and in stainless steel. That however is a custom option so the guitar does not lose any points for that. It also looks a little bland, very organic looking yes but I would love to see more options on these when it comes to tops and finishes.

All in all a very good guitar, well constructed and very user friendly being so light with great playability and a real tone monster. Build quality def not on par with my Daemoness, J Customs or other USA Customs I have. Dare I say it but I have Ibanez RG7XX series which would run this thing close and an RGA121 Prestige which ain't a million miles away either. Would I buy another? Yes at the right money, it's nice instrument, feels a little fragile due to the weight but a great player...still not in the top 20 guitars I have owned though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only pointy guitars remain

HNGD, any chance of clips of the blackbirds? there's no good clips anywhere on the internet :lol:

Mathemagician and IbanezDaemon like this.
  3. IbanezDaemon

Thanks man! I know very little on any of the Oil City range. I'll try and get something up at some point but I'm not in a position to do so right now.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Clips bro. Looks very clean. Glad to see a careful assessment of the build quality too. Enjoy the new toy.

Solodini and IbanezDaemon like this.
  5. IbanezDaemon

Cheers man!

6. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

That's a very sleek looking guitar and I like how the pick ups look where you can see the copper windings.

;>)/

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  7. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

HNGD - How's the Hannes bridge feel? does that make any distinct and attributable difference to the tone?

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  8. IbanezDaemon

Thanks! Yeah they look pretty cool with the wire exposed. Sound great too. I have these ordered for an upcoming Daemoness build but with standard covers.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. IbanezDaemon

Cheers! Yeah they are great bridges, very comfortable and work well on this guitar. For tone...it's hard to say...I'd need to try the same model with a different bridge...something I may be able to comment on soon as I have a few custom shops incoming with different bridges, one of them being a Hannes, the other a Lo Pro Edge on the same guitars basically.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Is this your first blackmachine NGD? Because I don't think you're doing a good job of it. You need to say things like, "Makes my other guitars feel like garbage! Can I still even call them guitars compared to this modern-day masterpiece?" / "Vibrates in my hands like a tuning fork" / "I understand why these are the most sought after guitars in the world! Believe the hype!".

Seriously though, pretty much everything you say is spot on with my impression, except that my fretwork was perfect and I didn't have the ASLs in mine. Pretty much what I'd expect to hear from someone with so many great guitars to compare to. Do you know why there's lacquer on it? That seems very...out of place. It should have the oil finish so that it slowly becomes a showpiece for lint and grime, or as it's referred to in blackmachine circles, "tone sludge".

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    feraledge, Solodini, ikarus and 2 others like this.
  11. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Most honest blackmachine post I've ever seen... refreshing. They are just guitars folks, you've read it right.

12. IbanezDaemon

Lol! Great reply Jason! Lacquer or oil...it's so thin I don't think it makes much of a difference. The fretwork is good but not ungodly on this guitar...ymmv. I never believe the hype on any guitar until I can get my grubby mits on one. I've played a BM before...one of those 'made in heaven and set up by the holy spirit' jobs..I didn't think it was all that great either...good no doubt but not deserving of all the hype. I didn't go into this guitar with any pre conceptions and those that have will be a tad disappointed.

Solodini likes this.
  13. IbanezDaemon

Thanks man! Yeah..gotta keep it real and give an honest review. I'm not really all that interested in trends or the latest hyped/djent guitars on the market...in fact I'm more than happy scoring 80's superstrats, Kramers, Jacksons, Charvel's etc..lots more mojo imho.

cwhitey2, Flappydoodle and Blytheryn like this.
  14. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Congrats and welcome to the Blackmachine family!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  15. Catalyst Collide

Catalyst Collide SS.org Regular

Great honest overview and cool guitar. Agree with you on the jack placement, weird spot for sure. Don't love the protruding hex screws on the back plate, but that's a minor nick. Happy NGD!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  16. IbanezDaemon

Cheers man! Fire some pics of your's up..would love to have look!

ddtonfire likes this.
  17. IbanezDaemon

Rockin' dude! Forgot about those hex screws...minor gripe but a gripe for sure! As I mentioned to @ddtonfire , feel free to shoot some pics up in this thread...the more the merrier!

18. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. IbanezDaemon

Cool! Thanks for the pics! What BKP's are in that?

20. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

I'd say that review is pretty much completely in line with what most people in the know say about Blackmachine B6's...except I never heard anyone say the fretwork was not great.

As to the frets not being high enough, maybe someone leveled the frets a little too aggressively before you got it? They are not known to come with low frets.

IbanezDaemon likes this.