NGD: Blackmachine B6

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Jackzaa, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Jackzaa

Jackzaa SS.org Regular

Not much in terms of eye-candy as all I'm armed with is poor artificial lighting, flash and a camera phone. It's dark and rainy and I haven't any need for a camera, but here we go! Welcome to my first NGD post. Apologies if I ramble, I had THE BEST day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post something nicer later when it's light, just too excited to worry about a good picture right now.

Honestly, I can't claim to have deep pools of experience when it comes to gear, but this is by a mile the comfiest, smoothest and most pleasant guitar I've ever played. Every inch feels like it was cut with an incredible amount of care and attention. I genuinely cannot spot a flaw on it.

I'm gonna have to wait til tomorrow to be able to push it through my rig, but in feline HQ I had a chance to sit down and run it through their gear. I was too busy trying to contain the grin on my face to overly analyze the sound, but I was enjoying every single note. I would prefer to save judgement til it's in my rig, but what I heard made my jaw drop.

I really put it down to the work of the guys at Feline. They were incredibly hospitable, talkative, but most importantly they REALLY knew their stuff, and getting a glimpse at their work process as we sat there for about 5 hours chatting, they really craft every instrument with a great deal of love.

I'm in awe, I never knew guitars could feel so nice to play. I'm beyond satisfied, and I can't wait to plug into my rig and really give it a good session. For anyone interested, I'll also put out there that the Feline guitar models have a slightly different feel, but have an equal sense of quality and brilliance to them. I highly recommend every one of you go and check them out if you haven't.

I was blown away today and now have this little treasure to keep blowing me away for a long time to come. Sorry ESP Eclipse, you've been replaced.

I can't take this guitar off my lap.

Edit: Why didn't I post the plate picture? duhh

SkullCrusher, Shawn, SavM and 12 others like this.
  2. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Picture isn't working

3. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

4. rreeves

rreeves SS.org Regular

Need to link directly to the image: [​IMG]

Beautiful guitar, congratulations!

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Fixed the pic in the OP for you. Congrats on the Feline :yesway:

6. Jackzaa

Jackzaa SS.org Regular

Thanks, my bad, I'm awful at forum business haha. :)

Too hasty to share my happiness and not checking my post!

7. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

how's that Schaller Hannes bridge feel?

8. Jackzaa

Jackzaa SS.org Regular

I'm not gonna lie, playing on a bridge that's this "flat" I guess is pretty new for me. It's a strange feeling but I see myself growing to like it pretty quick, as it's definitely comfortable, just not what I'm used to.

Finding it's making me rest my hand less against the bridge when I pick, which is a good thing. That's a bad habit I've been trying to escape, and I don't know why, but it feels more natural to let my hand float as the bridge is so low profile. :)

Good thing for sure

9. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

Nice one, I replaced the saddles on my ESP 8 string with Graphtech saddles and the difference in terms of comfort was great. Really smooth to move over

10. patata

patata 7 heaven

Hannes might be one of the best bridges around

nice guitar too!

11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Are the backplates black now or is it just the lighting? I think I've seen it too many times now to be a coincidence? Looks cool if so..

12. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Very cool! Love the simple grain. Congrats and enjoy! :)

13. Workhorse

Workhorse SS.org Regular

Looks really cool. I could never refer to it as a feline, but hell I'd buy one when they pop up more often.

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Looks sweet! I've been wanting to try a Hannes for some time now, not to mention a Blackmachine haha

15. witeter

witeter SS.org Regular

Yeah why do ppl refer to it as a 'Feline'? its almost like they are trying to say 'this isnt really a Blackmachine coz it aint made by Doug' - well it IS a Blackmachine-congrats man looks tasty and I like the choice of the Blackhawks:shred:

16. Jackzaa

Jackzaa SS.org Regular

Yeah, it is black. :)

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the wood aesthetics when I first saw it in pictures, but when I got there and saw it in person it all "popped". I guess being there and seeing yourself just lets you catch all the life in the grain!

and RE: Calling it a Feline, I wouldn't either. I had the pleasure of playing Felines alongside this, and they have a different feel. Great to play and of equal quality, but definitely different intention and influence between Feline and Doug's more "modern" influenced Blackmachines.

After doing some chatting with Jon from Feline, you learn a lot of interesting stuff. He and Doug have been best friends for years beyond years, helped each other learn and he was there for the creation of blackmachine. They helped each other better themselves as luthiers, trading tips, parts and discussing work. He knows Blackmachine in and out, and there's no question he's the best for the job. I can't sum up our hours of conversation, but it's not a Feline, and that's absolutely not a dig at Feline, they're BRILLIANT, but the difference in intention is apparent in both aesthetic and feel, and I can really see why Doug trusts Jon with his product.

Not every Fender Strat was built by Leo, either ;)

BlackStar7 likes this.
  17. witeter

witeter SS.org Regular

^Agree - if anything it showcases Jon's amazing skills as a luthier and the pedigree he has in being involved in the manufacture of the B6's
    Oh and more pics plz ;)

18. FelineGuitars

FelineGuitars Banned

mod edit: you've been told repeatedly not to post about your builds outside dealers, one more and you're going to get a LONG break from the site

19. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Nice socks

cool guitar too!

20. Jackzaa

Jackzaa SS.org Regular

Why thank you! Matching pairs are so hard to come by nowadays... Hahaha

I'll borrow my dad's fancy camera and throw some more pics up later
    ...Of the guitar, not the socks :hbang: