NGD - Big Fugly Gibson?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 1, 2018.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

this is long overdue. got this guitar back in february, but been busy traveling, and studying. still not done with both, so posting this in between.

kinda surprised that i ended up with this guitar. some of you who have followed me may have known me not liking my Carvin guitar. just not feeling it. mainly due to the way the company is being handled, thus just not inspiring me to pick it up.

that, and as years are progressing, i'm picking up my guitar less and less as more of my time is going towards photography. so, i threw my carvin up for sale, with hopes to focus more on photography gear.

lot of low ballers, and people 'taking pitty' that i have a carvin, and that no one will pay more than $2 for it, so they are doing me a favour by taking it off my hands for 10 bucks... go figure.

anyways, someone threw me an offer for this guitar plus some cash. i had to jump on it. i remember when this guitar first was introduced back in 2005 or 2006. it wasn't well received. the 'purest' les paul fans HATED this guitar as it was anything from the traditional/standard/custom/studio etc guitars that gibson was making. this, at least from that time, was one of the more radical changes to the les paul. it was "barely finished guitar". and the fans of les paul hated the fact that it asked for a price of about 800 bucks for a guitar not finished. it was 'ugly'. it was raw. it had a lot of blemishes here and there. if memory serves me correctly, the frets were square/flat from the top. it only had 3 knobs, and a 'missing' knob. it had a kill switch. it was 'missing' a truss rod cover, though a whole was drilled for where the cover should have been. it was chambered. it had a 50's neck. it had no inlays. it had a P90 on the neck, yet it was kind of being catered towards the metal crowd. a lot of people just didn't get this guitar.

and thats precisely why i fell in love with the guitar. it was that obnoxious weird guitar that just stood in the corner, usually left alone and ignored by others. i HATE inlays on guitars, so this was perfect. i dont like super gloss on guitars, and this was kind of 'raw'. and due to it being 'unfinished', if it gets a scratch or dent or whatever, i dont really care.

i also remember that there was lots of misinformation on this guitar. a common belief was that the top of the guitar was 'hand chiseled', thus its the raw material. that would require a whole lot more work than to throw it in the CNC (if i'm not mistaken?). besides, all the BFG i came across had the exact same pattern on the top, thus it couldn't be 'how they got the top wood' or 'its hand carved'. and it wasn't 'pre sanding' as people believed that is how quilt/flame came out first from a tree.

and i remember that once gibson discontinued it (the first time around), that is when people started loving this guitar. odd how that works....

regardless, once the guy offered this, i HAD to take it up. even though i said that i'm done with guitars and i'll focus more on photography, this one had to come my way. and it is also my first gibson guitar. i'm happy with it. its the perfect 'beater' guitar for me. the previous owner added a truss rod cover, and i think he redid the frets as again, if memory serves me correct, the original frets were flat from the top. it made intonation almost impossible. and due to the chambered body, its nice and light. plus it sings acoustically. seeing as i cant plug in my amp, EVER (people i live with are too sensitive to noise..), its an added bonus that it sings loudly unplugged!

here are some pics of it. when/if i get more time, i'll upload more. maybe a family shot with my edwards les paul too?

dont have time to edit these pics. so its kind of of straight from the camera

[​IMG]Untitled_Panorama2 by hadi khan, on Flickr

[​IMG]HK__0202 by hadi khan, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled_Panorama1 by hadi khan, on Flickr

btw, since i'm not that active here any longer, what are people using to upload images? imgur is no longer working.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I really am not a fan of Gibsons.......However, that is one motherfucking rad piece right there.

TedEH and soliloquy like this.
  3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Very nice pics and that is a cool looking guitar. I remember hating it back when it came out, at the time it was traditional LPs or nothing for a lot of people. I think the primary issue was that it was expensive for an "unfinished" guitar. This was also the time when Gibson was really pushing that lifestyle thing so their guitars were hideously expensive especially here in Europe. I could not understand why I would pay that kind of money for this instead of getting for example a really nice Japanese copy which had all the goodies like binding, flamed maple top etc.

Nowadays I would be far more open to this.

I see that Gibson now makes a dual P90 version of this but of course they've managed to ruin it again by not having that worn black hardware and a dark fretboard wood.

soliloquy likes this.
  4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

I like some gibsons, but that man I am going to have to say is fugly IMO IMO!

5. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

dat blur

I have a soft spot for non trad LPs, and this is rad.

soliloquy likes this.
  6. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Always thought that they were cool. I know a chap who has a couple of them and swears by them!

soliloquy likes this.
  7. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

That looks sick, reminds me of snake skin or something

soliloquy likes this.
  8. gunch

gunch chungus

BFGs are rad HNGD

soliloquy likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not a Gibson guy, but that's awesome.

soliloquy likes this.
  10. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

further igniting my LP GAS, congrats

soliloquy likes this.
  11. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Congrats ! I've got two of these and I absolutely love em.

12. Darkscience

Darkscience SS.org Regular

The out of focus parts of the guitar in pics 1 and 3 makes the pictures hard to look at. The light in the right upper corner on picture 3 is nasty too. Picture 2 is better but the Gibson logo is out of focus just slightly making it hard on the eyes. The lighting is decent though and the pics do have a pro luster to them. The detail in the focused parts looks good. (The strings in the first shot are purple, need to watch out for that too).

Congrats on the new guitar!

13. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

oh i know. purple fringing on the string. plus no edit. and its a panorama of about 20 pics, thus the blur and stuff. normally i shoot raw, and can get rid of most of those post process. but when i get time, i'll do better pics and stuff :)

14. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Very cool! I have always been a fan of those non-traditional Gibson models that were released in the mid-2000's (Voodoo, Menace, BFG...). I myself own a Menace LP and it is one of the nicest Gibson's I've played in any price range (even better than every Custom Shop I've played--and I've played a handful of Custom Shops).

Enjoy!

Smoked Porter and soliloquy like this.
  15. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

gotta agree on you about that.
    before this guitar, i was looking at buying some sort of a traditional or standard guitar. tried several different from different years and each kept disappointing me. random issues with random years. 2015 seemed the most interesting to me, but even then i was 'settling'. i almost gave up on gibson, till this BFG came about. happy i went with it :)

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

You're definitely a great photographer, because you managed to make that guitar look like a million bucks!

I remember liking the look of the BFG until I saw one for real in a store. Instant GAS cure. However, the one I saw was a reddisch colour, quite light. The black looks a lot better.
    Is that the original humbucker, btw?

Nice wedding pictures btw.

soliloquy likes this.
  17. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

yeah, the red one looked kinda pink. kind of off-putting. the initial run had gold (which looked more like cream?), red, which looked pink. and black, which looked gray. then they released a zakk wylde and gary more signature. then they released the gator BFG which was green. some had the tremolo on em, while others had a TOM bridge. of the entire series, the Gator and the black ones (in my opinion) looked the best.

and as far as i can tell, they are original pickups. i haven't looked at the back of the pickups yet to confirm though.

and what wedding pics? :O you mean on flicker? thank you :)

18. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

No wonder they went bankrupt, look at this thing!!!

Jk dude, I love it. HNGD

soliloquy likes this.
  19. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

Congrats man! Looks really awesome!

soliloquy likes this.
  20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Meh. Reading your post I expected a Reverse explorer or something. :D

soliloquy likes this.