NGD: Beater Ibanez 7 String RGIR37BFE

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by IbanezDaemon, Apr 7, 2020.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I was in the market for a cheap 7 string, something that I could have sitting next to me on a stand and that I wouldn't worry too much about my doggies chewing on. Had a quick look on the bay and caught this Iron Label 7 String about 5 minutes after it went live and deal agreed about 20 mins later after I submitted an offer. Got this for a good price.

Think this is the first Iron Label I've owned, have handled/played a good few before and they were quite hit and miss. I think they have upped there QC a bit as this is not bad at all. Mahogany Body, Nitro Wizard Neck Maple/Bubinga, EMG 707 set (Ceramic), Gibraltar II Bridge, Gotoh SG381 Locking Tuners, 25.5 scale. It's quite light for a Mahogany, neck carve is good, usual slim Wizard 7 string affair. Frets are okay, good on the treble side of the neck but 3 or 4 sharp ones from the 17th fret upwards on the bass side....really no biggie in that area of the neck. I quite like the EMG's in this, bridge is great for riffing, lots of clarity and great crunch, neck I also like, great for leads and lots of low end filth though it does just get a tad muddy when you get down low on the bottom string, a little more definition and these would have been killer. I have this a half step down.

Not a bad little guitar for the money, impressive enough spec and build quality has def come on with this series. If you can find one of these used for a good price they are well worth checking out. Pics:

P1010006 (1).JPG
    P1010027 (1).JPG
    P1010009 (1).JPG

P1010024 (1).JPG
    P1010019 (1).JPG
    P1010036 (1).JPG

P1010034 (1).JPG
    P1010008 (1).JPG
    igr37bfe.jpg

Attached Files:

JimF, Manurack, Roadsterjosh and 20 others like this.
  2. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

That is a sleek looking axe, congrats and enjoy!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Great beater guitar. Super good looking too. Congrats!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Sleek guitar and if it came with the case it's sitting on then double score :)

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  5. IbanezDaemon

@Strtsmthng @mlp187 Rockin' guys...much appreciated!

@Edika: Cheers bud...case is from one of my Jems...still a decent score for £199 (if memory serves me correct).

Edika likes this.
  6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

That's a great price not just a decent score!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  7. IbanezDaemon

Agreed. I had to jump on it. £799 new. How you keeping with this lockdown thing? Still at work? I used to work for Seagate in one of the clean rooms so you'd think with the full PPE gear you'd be okay?

8. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Nice!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I don't work in the clean room but they have taken measures to reduce the amount of people in the other areas. I work some days from home and some at the office. They do provide us with masks and gloves and I don't have a lot of people around me. Actually almost no people around me lol! Aside from that I'm ok, the kids are getting bored and need entertaining and I'm trying not to buy more gear hahaha!

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  10. IbanezDaemon

Hang in there bud. I'm sure it's immensely frustrating for your kids...I would be throwing a monumental tantrum at that age...lol! It's a buyers market now though if you are looking to score something...I picked up a few nice pieces recently....I'm hoping to score that Mesa Mini Rectifier that's on ebay...seller is in Ballymena...have already spoken with him...I reckon the chances of that selling local as 'collection only' are slim. If it doesn't sell local I reckon I'm grabbing that when all this lockdown blows over.

Edika likes this.
  11. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

Congrats! The whole aesthetic is great; the EMGs look fantastic against the matte body.

What I love about Ibanez is that even their lower tier models play great. They might not have the best hardware or wood selection, but I have never played one that felt like an improperly made instrument.

Cole

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  12. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

nice grab, congrats!

13. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Wow...for a “beater” that looks to be in pretty damn good shape. Nice looking guitar! Congrats and great pics too. :yesway:

IbanezDaemon and c7spheres like this.
  14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

@IbanezDaemon

That's a nice looking guitar. Plain, simple, and functional to the point. I love that there's no inlays on it too. Ibanez needs more of this. And the reinforced neck is a plus too.

- FYI the 707's are Alnico 5, not ceramic like some sites say. They're Alnico 5 unless these are some special just for Ibanez or something. About the gettin muddy on the low strings. If you try lowering them they will clean up, even on one side. The volume will dip a small amount but they become much more dynamic and articulate. I'm talking about 1/4" below the bottom of the string. I know it's against what most people do and what EMG recommends but they are better that way, imo. Doing that makes you work more for heavy riffage as you actuallly have to play heavy to get it, but that's what I love about it. Then light touch is stil no problem. They still pickup all the normal harmonics etc they're just more clear. They really respond well this way. Maybe give it a try if you already haven't. You may be pleasantly surprised : ) Also, don't readjust your amp at all except maybe only the master volume up an half hour on the dial. Then you'll see what I'm talking about. Just a suggestion you might like.

- I wonder if this exsits with a LoPro.

aesthyrian and Cole Justesen like this.
  15. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

I liked the 707s in my E-II Horizon FR-7 just okay. They sounded great for some things, and other things I just didn't like them. Had I known to try them that low, I might have really liked them. That said, I went to a 85f7X/60-7X setup and thoroughly enjoy what it did for my guitar (which is an alder body/maple neck through).

My Ibanez (RG752 mahogany body) is a passive setup, and right now it has a set of Lundgren pickups in it. If you ever end up going the passive route, the Lundgren M7 is pretty killer in the bridge!

Congrats again on a cool guitar!

Cole

16. IbanezDaemon

shupe13, c7spheres and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  17. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

I own 2 prestige’s and a kiesel. My iron label is still a better guitar.

18. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

would you mind elaborating on what metrics you use to make that claim?

I’m curious because there’s an Iron Label model that I’m looking at, but my experience with them has mostly been filled with sharp fret edges, spotty finishes, clunky necks, dead spots on necks, etc, all for an almost-prestige price tag. Just wondering if they’ve upped their QC game.

19. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

If that's a beater then I guess most of my Ibby's are complete pieces of ruined shit :lol:

Looks good dude! Now play the shit out of it and make it a true beater.

20. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

It turned out super handsome. Love the blank fingerboard, binding and single knob.

IbanezDaemon likes this.