NGD AXE FX II MKII

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by areyna21, May 8, 2016.

1. areyna21

areyna21 SS.org Regular

So I traded a member on here to get this great piece of gear. I still don't have a power amp for it so as of right now I'm going to run it through a buddies 5150. I was able to try it through the power section of my buddies orange dual dark which is an amazing amp I hope to steal tone from once I learn how. Still on the fence about wether to run it through a tube poweramp or solid state. Looking at potentially an isp stealth or Mesa 50/50 poweramp at the moment. So far I was able to dial in a good tone for my 7 and 8 string guitars. This thing has been very specific about the guitars I'm putting through it. Looks like I'll need to set patches specific for the guitars I'm using. The Mark IIc+ model sounds really well with my 7 and the fas modern for my 8. So much flexibility in this box it is insane what you can do. I know I've just scratched the surface so far. Here is some pics and the last one is one my wife posted on snapchat I think she believes I overreacted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thraxil, Noxon and noUser01 like this.
  2. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Congrats man! You made a great investment.

As far as the power amp goes, I do highly recommend a tube power amp, or at least a high end solid state power amp like a Matrix. I've got the ISP Stealth and it certainly does the job though! I don't have any complaints about it, but I certainly see the difference with a tube power amp.

3. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man!

4. haieb

haieb SS.org Regular

Congrats man! I also noticed that the differences of guitars have a larger impact than with a tube amp, but you can tweak some scenes and you are good to go :) I personally took the matrix cause it doesn't color the sound. A friend got an Engle poweramp(E8something) and we A/B both. Both sounded great but different. So at the end it is your own taste :) I heard that the mesa colors too much and I can tell you that it is true with the Mark models. Even being a fan of the Mesa sound, I didn't like the Axe sound through the Poweramp of the Mark 5/4/3. I hope I could help a little! Have fun!

5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

As a long time user (had mine for 4 years now I think) I can say you're right. The good news is, with the scenes, you have enough rooms for way more patches than you have guitars (if this statement is false, please tell me where you live :D )

The good side of this is, you can exploit your guitars tonal personalities to their fullest.

6. areyna21

areyna21 SS.org Regular

That is exactly the way I was thinking. I have an 8 string with a coil tap and it sounds really good through the Axefx. I'm really liking everything so far but I know it will take some time to get live patches dialed in. I have band practice tomorrow so it's the first time I'll use it in that setting. Next weekend I'm going to a friends house to record with it.

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Most important step when beginning is choosing the cab that suits your tastes. The cabs included are more than sufficient as Fractal did a lot of research on them and some third party ones are included with the software. My favourite so far is the 1960A G12M (The 38th one) as I go for a more vintage feel even for metal, try this one. With a JCM 800 and an overdrive before it I get to heaven. :)
    My "brootalz" tone uses a cab I got somewhere though. It's labeled 4x12 recto new mix, no clue if its in the firmware or if I got it outside.

8. areyna21

areyna21 SS.org Regular

I used it through a peavey classic 50/50 poweramp today and really liked it. I liked that it had a resonance knob on it not just presence. I used the fas modern with a bass guy tone stack because the coldsweats are kinda thin. I was using the recto red but I still need to tweak it because it was a little dull for my taste. That boomy low end works good for those thin sounding pickups though. Haven't played it through monitors yet so I haven't messed with any of the cab ir's.

9. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

i'm kind've jealous of that hug you're giving that axe fx.

10. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

So you belong in that hug instead of the Axe? :lol:

Congrats. Enjoy.

11. charrondev

charrondev SS.org Regular

Enjoy your axe fx! I know I love mine. If your ever looking for any tips head on over the fractal forum.

12. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

That last pic says it all! LoL!