NGD Aristides 060

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Jonnysleftfoot, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Jonnysleftfoot

Jonnysleftfoot SS.org Regular

Picked up my first Aristides from reverb the other day. White pearl marble gloss with a satin neck. Bare knuckle aristides custom with an Irish tour single in the neck. Bought it with 2 issues. Neck pickup screw was stripped and the fourth position on the 5 way switch has no output. Obviously a pickup problem but I never use that position anyways so whatever.
    As far as playability goes, it's not good. I feel like im fighting this thing to play anything. Fret ends were smooth, and fret access is great thanks to that carve on the back. It resonates well and has good sustain and is very loud acoustically .
    Pros- looks great, good weight, stable trem, perfect fret access, truss rod adjusts easily.
    Cons- poor playability, bending past 3 steps causes output to stop. Not sure what's causing this. Could be unlevel frets or pickups. The trem claw screws don't go in very far so even with 9-46 nyxl's I have to use 3 springs to level the trem.
    Subjective- pickups are not my taste at all. Seem to have low output, an annoying "knocking" sound, and arent very versatile. The bridge pickup sounds like a single coil for some reason.
    I probably got unlucky with this one, and I'm sure there are many other people that would be happy with this. But it's just not for me.
    That being said if you have to try one of these, take my experience into consideration and be careful about buying one off of reverb. Maybe just order from them directly. I'm pretty familar with setups (learning from rich's work from ibanezrules) and this thing was honestly a piece of junk in my opinion. I've played standard rg's at guitar centers that outclass this thing to give you some perspective into how much of a lemon I think i got here.

Attached Files:

mlp187 likes this.
  2. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Wow, that’s sad to hear! I think that’s also the first negative review I’ve seen for Aristides. Can you return it/get your money back?

3. Jonnysleftfoot

I've never heard a negative thing either which is why this is so surprising. And no, I bought it knowing about the pickup issues, so I cant return it. I listed it on reverb with the issues described above. I feel like someone who is familiar with the wiring on these things and enjoys messing with this kind of stuff or likes the pickups may get some use out of it. Otherwise it's just going to sit in its case. I much prefer my Majesty and juggernaut ht7 to this in all aspects even though some may say they're not comparable.

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Sounds like there's more wrong with the wiring than just one position not working.

5. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

That sucks dude, sorry to hear!

I had that experience on a brand new Kiesel I ordered. Turned out to be a pile of shit when I got it. Looked amazing' played like dogshit. Got lucky and got my money back. I've had some bad luck these last few months trying to find a good guitar. I've returned 3-4 guitars and finally landed on a used Mayo QATSI Duvell and so far I like it. It's actually the prototype which is why I went with it. Don't even really know who John Browne is, have heard of Monuments but never heard their music; not my thing, but I figured it being a protoype and a NAMM showpiece it should be the manufacturers best work

6. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

I fail to see what the problem is other than the guitar needing a setup and the pickups resoldered properly?

First of all the output doesn't stop by bending a string, what might happen is that it frets out because of the neck radius - which is very flat to begin with so unless your action is below 0,5mm it shouldn't be an issue

secondly - bending 3 steps shouldn't be possible without breaking a string - at the point of 3 steps (6 frets worth) you're looking at the radius being in your way and the string fretting out - this would happen on most guitars that don't have a 20" radius fretboard (or flatter).
    That means the action is INCREDIBLY low and should be raised (imo, because you'd get no tone out of any guitar with it that low :lol: ).

Also don't see how using 3 trem springs would be an issue? That's normal. If you want to use two, just get some heavy duty springs as trem springs come in many different stiffnesses.

Pickups are probably installed by someone who did a hack job as well.

TLDR get it properly setup. Aristides guitars are top notch and the guys wouldn't let something less than perfect leave the factory and this wouldn't be an exception.

EDIT: Looking at your pictures the neck seems to have a forward bow, this would explain why the playability is bad and why it's fretting out. Get the neck straightened out and see how it plays/feels.

(No I'm not a endorser or an employee)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    gienek likes this.
  7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Huh?

ArtDecade likes this.
  8. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

3 steps would be like bending the note on the 10th fret to match the note on the 16th fret.

If he means 3 semitones/3 frets then it's just the neck needing straightening out by/the guitar needing a proper setup.
    although bending a minor third is quite alot anyway.

gienek likes this.
  9. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Well besides the problems that is one great looking guitar with the gold hardware and ebony fret board...hopefully you can get another one like it.

;>)/

gienek likes this.
  10. Jonnysleftfoot

Sorry I meant 3 half steps. And you can get 3 whole steps out of a bend. There is a video of guthrie govan bending one note and making it an entire major scale.
    Regardless, it shouldn
    Sorry I meant 3 half steps but even 3 whole steps are doable. There's a video of guthrie govan bending one note to play an entire major scale so 3 half steps is unacceptable. These pics were straight out of the box and yeah you're right the neck was bowed but I straightened it out and even raised the action because it was fretting out and the first few frets.
    The spring issue comes from the way the trem works and personal preference of feel. For example I've found that you get more flutter from two outside parallel springs than any other configuration, so the trem is stiff, and I have a feeling the strings are so hard to bend because of something along those lines.
    The pickups issue is beyond me. I don't see how the wiring would be that bad. I've seen plenty of obscenely clean wiring jobs from them. At the end of the day it's just not for me I guess. Its on reverb for someone that may want to tinker with that kind of stuff. For me, I'd expect more for that kind of money

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What the heck did the previous owner do to this thing? That fourth picture, with the messed up pickup and route. Ouch.

Everything, outside of the stuff the previous schmuck dicked up, seems setup related.

Did you check the nut, fretboard and bridge with a radius gauge? Rocker the frets?

12. Jonnysleftfoot

Yeah i said the same thing when i got it. I can't even imagine what he was doing. Even the screw like how was it stripped that bad and why would you not be more careful and use the right tool for the job?
    Yup. Used a stewmac fret rocker. They're level (I'd expect nothing less). But like I said Im not sure the cutout is setup related. It really seems like a pickup issue because it cuts out, but if I turn my noise gate off (it's not set tight, just to cut out amp hum) it still goes out but if you beat the living shit out of it you get a quiet note. Additionally, holding out notes will give a weird crackling sound and at the tail end of the sustain you get cut outs similar to a kill switch. That makes me think these issues are electronic. As far as the set up, assuming that's not the problem, it still feels way too tight for my liking. Even with the neck straight and action raised to no fret buzz the 9-46 feels like a 10-52 on a 26.5 in scale. It's weird.

13. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Your Reverb ad feels rather unlike this post.

There's two issues with this guitar:
    * Not fixable: finish/screw stripped. That's an actual issue, how big depends on you or whoever buys it
    * Fixable: setup, pickup. There is nothing weird about Aristides wiring (I've changed some myself) and if you've performed electronics changes on any other guitar, it will be no different

I can only hope that whoever gets it for you does so for a reasonable price given the issue you so clearly articulate in this post. If not, you would likely get away with spending an hour of your time re-doing the setup from scratch and see how far you can take it. Worst-case scenario, it will ensure you sell a reasonable instrument. Best-case, you make someone happy, yourself or other.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  14. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

This feels like a newbie decided to buy a 3k custom and tried their hand at setups with the wrong tools improperly sized screwdrivers. And to be fair your 'warning' can apply to anything you buy sight unseen, if whoever is selling their gear doesn't disclose it's condition properly that's no fault of the actual instrument.

But this whole thing seems rather dishonest on your part, you're being like 10x more explicit about the guitar's condition here and playing the salesman part on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/17350692-aristides-060-2017-white-pearl-marble-gloss

vs your ad

:lol:

15. Jonnysleftfoot

More on the side of make someone happy. My hopes are someone sees the post and takes into account the issues and makes an offer on what they feel it's worth. My hopes are someone that knows how to fix the electronics and sees that the pickups may need to be replaced wants it. Otherwise it's just going to sit.
    And about the aristides wiring, I'm not calling their wiring weird. Im calling whatever happened to the wiring weird lol.

16. Jonnysleftfoot

17. Jonnysleftfoot

Yeah I'm doing exactly that since it was an
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm kinda posting what the previous owner posted in their listing. I just didn't imagine this many issues. Who wouldnt want to try to get some of their money back?

18. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I don't think you got my point. You description here is a hell of a lot less flattering than on your Reverb ad. This makes people want to not trust you.

If you change the Reverb ad to reflect the current price, THEN someone else can get a deal and you can forget about it.
    If you don't change the description, you're misleading, whether you want to or not. Having two different descriptions of a guitar that is for-sale, one on the ad, one on the NGD, is misleading.

If the previous owner shafted you, don't pass it on to the next one.
    Like most of us said; you could even just get her setup and wired correctly and THEN judge or sell with the present description and condition.

Jonnysleftfoot likes this.
  19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I actually side with OP a bit more than most and so kudos to posting something like this. It's kind of the double standard: you posted a lot of negative stuff here, therefore, how can you have a positive spin in your for sale ad? Don't you know the correct thing is to post a ridiculously glowing NGD and then post it for sale next week, while keeping your dissatisfaction to yourself?? ;-) "playability is not good" == "it's just too nice of a guitar for me"

But yea, these polar opposites (playability is not good vs. playability is great) are no good, and you should feel bad about being that conflicting between your ad copy and your true feelings.

Think your best bet is to get it setup properly so you can have a genuinely positive description -- the screw stuff isn't going to turn off a potential buyer anymore than a Hello Kitty image or JEM coloring or all sorts of other dumb stuff people order on their Aristides -- but no one wants to buy a guitar with issues out-of-the-box (as you can feel). Personally I would have sent it back to the seller, if bought from Reverb. May not be too late for it...

20. Jonnysleftfoot

Yeah you guys are right. Post description updated and price reduced. Pointed them to this post so they can see your opinions on what's wrong.

steinmetzify likes this.