NGD: Another Year, another NGD bought On Impulse

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Grand Moff Tim, May 29, 2015.

1. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

CWUTIDIDTHAR?

Aaaaanyway, stupid puns out of the way, I've gone and bought my very first 8 string. Go, me!

[​IMG]

So, as some of you may be aware, I live in South Korea: The Land of Paying MSRP for Gear, If You're Lucky. No es bueno. I had toyed with the idea of getting an 8 in the past, but the only ones I could ever find were bottom-of-the-line Schecters for twice their US street price. Pass. Hard pass.

However, a couple weeks ago, a site that occasionally gets new Indo Ibbies in for the same or occasionally a little less than US prices got a TAM10 in for about $20 less than US street. I was tempted at first, but then talked myself out of it. Recent events, though, conspired against my checking account and convinced me to grab it. More on that later.

Here, let me throw some pics at you:

The whole thing

[​IMG]

For those curious about how much the new Gibraltar bridges might interfere with your palm muting

[​IMG]

Ionizers

[​IMG]

The lonely gigantic bass ferrule, to allow for a larger lowest string

[​IMG]

Okay, remember how I said events occurred which forced my hand? Well, it's explanation time. Hooray!

You know how one of the good things about the TAM models is that, unlike some signature models out there, it doesn't have the artist's name or logo emblazoned across it anywhere?

Well, the bad news: This one actually does.

The good news: Here's why...

[​IMG]

So apparently ol' Tosin was in Seoul for a clinic on May 18th (I had no idea, or I might've tried to catch it), and while he was there he signed the shop's TAM10.

The shop's only TAM10.

I randomly went to the site to lust after the guitar the other day, and noticed the shop had added a pic of him signing one. Now, my Korean's pretty rusty, so I couldn't tell if the caption said he only signed one, or customers were limited to one per order. I had a Korean friend check it and call the shop, and they told him they only ever had one, and that one was signed.

They also said that eights aren't very popular here so it wasn't really in any danger of selling any time soon, but I ignored that little bit so I could pretend I needed to buy it IMMEDIATELY. That's what I did, and less than 24 hours later it had been delivered.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I can post the rest of the pictures that I couldn't post before without spoiling the suprise. You lucky kids, you.

I like the extra carving/scoop they gave the back of the lower cutaway.

[​IMG]

The backside

[​IMG]

For sh!ts and giggles, here's a couple shots with my UV70P, to give you some size comparisons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison of the difference between a UV lower bout and the TAM's lower bout, to give an idea of what the additional carving's like.

[​IMG]

Okay, so how does it play? Well, I gotta be honest, this is the first 8 I've ever tried. I held off for the longest time because, frankly, I've got little carnie hands, so I was worried the extra size would be too much. However, after a few months of playing this bad Larry...

[​IMG]

...I decided I wasn't really worried about that anymore :lol:. If I can play a 36" multiscale 6 string bass, I can play a 27" 8 string guitar.

I was right, incidentally. After getting used to this bass, the TAM10 feels like a normal 6 string feels when you go back to 6 after playing a 7 for a while. It's just... completely normal feeling. I'll definitely be needing to put a larger string on for the F# (or E, I haven't decided), though, because the gauge it came with is a bit floppy. I'm actually fine with the rest of the strings' sizes, though. I don't need uber tension like some of y'all chillins.

How does it sound? Well, I don't djent, and this seems to want to djent no matter what I do with it, haha. I've got an Axe-Fx II, so I'm sure I'll be able to dial in something that will make it DOOOOOOOM like I want it to (so far the Splawn sims are closest), but I'd actually be lying if I said I'm not having fun Meshugga-ing away on the F#.

The cleans kinda surprised me. I wasn't really expecting much, if I'm honest, but I can get some decent tones. I'm usually thoroughly unimpressed by split or tapped humbuckers, but the Ionizers work shockingly well in single coil mode. That combined with the HSH setup + 5-way makes this a very versatile axe. I think I chose well, for Baby's First Eight String.

Fit and finish: The fretwork's about what you'd expect from a ~$1k Indo Ibby. It didn't blow my mind, but it's adequate right out of the box. No semi-hemi fret ends, but no sharp ends, either. No dead spots or buzzing. I won't be needing to take this in to a tech for anything.

The neck feels nice. Very smooth... mostly. There are a couple rough spots, one of which is juuuuuust shy of being unacceptably large. It's up on the treble side near where the neck meets the pocket, so I'll only feel it when I'm trying to be Mr. Shreddypants, but I'll still probably try to sand it down anyway. If it were bigger I'd probably be tempted to send it back, or at least take it to my guy, but it's tolerable.

The body finish is... what it's supposed to be, I guess. Hard to fuck up a solid gloss white poly finish. It's not the lacquer I'm used to on my nicer basses, but it's also significantly less expensive than they were, so you win some, you lose some.

Random weirdness: I heard rattling when turning it over. I took off the output jack plate, and discovered a couple chunks of loose solder just rolling around in there. That was odd, and not something I'd be happy to find on a pricier guitar, but it affected neither playability nor tone, so I just dumped them out and put the plate back on.

That's all I got for now. I'll try to answer any question anyone has, unless those questions involve posting clips. That's not going to happen.

OH. Quick copypasta spec list, for those not in the know:

neck type: TAM8 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
    body: Basswood body (40mm body thickness)
    fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/Off-set white dot inlay
    frets: Jumbo frets
    bridge: Gibraltar Standard II-8 bridge
    neck pickup: DiMarzio® Ionizer 8™-N (H) neck pickup (Passive/Alnico)
    middle pickup: DiMarzio® Ionizer 8™-M (S) mid pickup (Passive/Alnico)
    bridge pickup: DiMarzio® Ionizer 8™-B (H) bridge pickup (Passive/Alnico)
    factory tuning: 1E, 2B, 3G, 4D, 5A, 6E, 7B, 8E
    hardware color: Black
    40mm Body Thickness

Neck Dimensions

Scale 685.8mm/27"
    Width at Nut 55mm
    Width at Last Fret 80mm
    Thickness at 1st 19mm
    Thickness at 12th 21mm
    Radius 430mmR

Hardshell Case included

2. Grand Moff Tim

Oh yeah, hey, anyone have any recommendations for protecting the signature? Since they didn't have the foresight to have him sign it somewhere sensible like the pickguard or back of the headstock, I've got a big ass signature on the back of the guitar right where my gut goes to worry about.

I was thinking of putting some clear nail polish on it and just reapplying that every now and then. Would that be a suitable course of action? Anyone? Bueller?

3. androponic

androponic SS.org Regular

Nice review, and congrats on the new 8 stringie. These Tams are classy and killer looking at the same time.

4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Badass score and HNGD! I think the clear nail polish would work, man. It's a poly finish and they're practically indestructible so even if you wanted to take it off eventually just rub some acetone on there and you're gold.

5. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Do not clear nail polish it. Get some newspaper and masking tape. Mask the body. Hit it with 3-4 coats of acrylic clear. It'll bond better if you're willing to take some fine steel wool and scuff the paint around the signature a bit, just to give the clear coat somewhere to lay down anchor.

6. IChuckFinleyI

IChuckFinleyI Banned

Listen to this man! The nail polish will come off within days and may even take the sig with it.

7. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

So you have only one buy on impulse by year
    You have to make progress ! :evil:

Congrats Dude those are niiiiiiiiiiiiice ! :yesway:

8. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Oh man I bet unboxing that felt awesome huh Tim ;D

Solid score dude. I do not feel bad for peer pressuring you.

9. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro it looks great!

10. Alice AKW

Alice AKW Wolf Ninja

One of us. One of us. One of us.

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Bought it "On Impulse" huehuehuheuhe

HNGD!

12. Peter.F

Peter.F SS.org Regular

Sweet guitar! I really wish they made those bridges solid black for the rest of their line.

13. vkw619

vkw619 Inspired Beginner

Amazing score man!
    I had an old Dean that I won in a contest and got signed by members of a few death metal bands at a charity event (ex members of Death, members of Obituary, Cannibal Corpse) and I masked off the bottom of the neck and the screw holes and the cover for the Floyd, and I sprayed it with 3 coats of Clear coat spray paint (acrylic like others have suggested) and it worked perfectly. Owned the guitar for 2-3 years with a bit of constant play never an issue and you couldn't even tell it was on there.

Enjoy the axe!
    The UV is nice as well!

14. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Sell it for a .... load of money and get a TAM100

I'm kidding.... Or not.... HN1ST8STRINGSIGNEDBYTOSIND

15. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Congrats on the guitar, dude!

My suggestion for protecting the signature, is to get some clear adhesive pickguard material. I have some on one of my Teles, had the thing for over 8 years, and this stuff doesn't even LOOK like it wants to peel, so it should be just dandy.

16. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Did they include the photo of Tosin signing it? If not, could you (or a friend more ably equipped to do so in Korean) ask them to provide a copy?

17. Grand Moff Tim

[​IMG]

18. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Excuse me, but... DAT BASS. :eek: :yum: More info pls.

19. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Impulse buys are fun. That is one of the luckiest ones I've seen too. Sweet axe! Hope you keep enjoying it!

20. Grand Moff Tim