NGD: an (un)SSO new guitar day!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Musiscience, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Pics first: Photo 2019-11-08, 15 38 10.jpg Photo 2019-11-08, 15 38 26.jpg Photo 2019-11-08, 15 38 46.jpg Photo 2019-11-08, 15 39 12.jpg Photo 2019-11-08, 15 39 17.jpg

For a little while, I have been getting less and less interested in heavy music and metal as a whole. One could say I am becoming a guitar dad. Therefore, my high output HB equipped guitars were just not cutting it anymore. That being said, I didn't want something too vintage, as I became accustomed to some modern appointments I was not willing to let go of: SS frets, comfortable heel, locking tuners. For a while I was considering an AZ 2204, when I stumbled upon this beauty for a great price. It checked all my boxes, so I took it home.

Fit and finish: it's EBMM, so everything is near perfect. I have not spotted a single flaw that would be attributed to the factory. Good job Ernie.

Neck: the neck is a soft V on the first frets going on a C further up the neck. Even if more vintage in shape and thickness, it feels really similar to other EBMM necks, mainly in that it is narrow and comfortable to play. The finish is not the usual gunstock wax but some sort of satin finish (poly maybe?). Smooth to the touch, but feels less "raw", much to the pleasure of a certain British chef. As you would expect, the medium SS frets are mirror finished and dressed to perfection. The neck joint is simple but very well thought out. It is sculpted in a way that fits exactly the shape of your palm when playing. I can't think of any other guitars with such a natural feeling heel.

Bridge: This is the same old Music Man trem system. Simple yet very stable and does it's intended job well without the guitar going out of tune. The rounded metal makes for a "non-poky" kind of experience.

Pickups: what you would expect from an SSS guitar, but a bit more tame in the high end and more importantly, silent. Nothing too special or out of the ordinary otherwise, it sounds like a strat.

This turned out to be exactly what I wanted: a classic looking and sounding Strat, but with a few "modern" features. If you are looking for this sort of thing, you should try one of these out if you get the chance.

2. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Nice man, I have one of these from the roasted series in HSS. Killer guitar!

Musiscience and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

TIL EBMM makes a prettier strat than Fender.
    HNGD op! That thing already radiates mojo.

Musiscience likes this.
  4. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

That's very nice indeed. A great take on the Strat yet very elegantly done. The fretwork looks impeccable. Nice score for sure!

Musiscience likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Looks great!!
    1 vol and 1 tone makes for a nice right-hand experience without obstruction too (as a modern strat feature).
    I love the majority of EBMM necks have their own "EBMM" vibe (narrow with a medium thickness) that makes them a very unique option for the strat market.

Suggestion: The pickups are noiseless because of the battery as I understand it. Sometime you should check how they work with the battery pulled to see if the pickups sound different, or sound the same but with hum.

Enjoy!

nyxzz and Musiscience like this.
  6. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Happy NGD! I've been in sort of that same boat and just got a stray back in my life (Fender EJ) but I was looking at these Cutlass models forever before pulling the trigger on anything

Sidenote: because of this thread I'm gonna imagine Gordon yelling 'This neck is RAW' whenever I play anything without a gloss finish. Thanks for that :lol:

Musiscience and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Nice !!!!
    I’ll be building a “dad” guitar myself here soon

Musiscience likes this.
  8. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

Well, Leo Fender designed the Cutlass after he left Fender so it makes sense that it's an evolution of / a better strat :)

Musiscience likes this.
  9. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Not the one I'd fight to own but I have to admit : Classy (with a big C) !
    Congratulations man :yesway:

Musiscience likes this.
  10. Musiscience

You should post an NGD, I love these too, the necks on them are beautiful!

Thanks! I will try to remove the battery and do a small comparison today. Will report back with the results!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. Musiscience

I don't understand how this circuit works as a whole, but it must be wired in series as pulling the battery simply cuts the sound. Deceiving, but was worth the try!

12. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Interesting! Thanks for the test :)

13. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Cool guitar, man! I think having a single coil guitar is always handy when macho metal men feel the need to make excursions into softer sounds.

Musiscience likes this.
  14. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

So sweet, loving all these single-equipped guitars from EBMM.

Musiscience likes this.
  15. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

the pickups do not work without the battery at all, actually. I tried messing with mine because it's not very silent at all, but it might just be mine is weird or the dials on it were configured incorrectly.

16. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

The Cutlass has a preamp buffer, so if there's no battery then there's no power and hence no audio through the preamp. You can see the diagram on their website:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 16.03.24.png

17. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Great guitar. I had one and regret selling it. Fabulous strat tone