NGD: Agile Septor Pro 727

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Pseudonym, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

I had been interested in purchasing a baritone guitar for the better part of 20 years, but never had much luck finding something I liked as for the longest time, baritone guitars were either custom shop jobs, or limited run models made by a manufacturer for a year or two before being discontinued. I only recently became familiar with the Agile brand, when I purchased a used Intrepid Pro 828 that ended up being way too much guitar for me. It was a fine, if spartan instrument, but never really resonated with me. It just felt too different in my hands and I lacked the motivation to develop the left and right hand muting techniques necessary to make it actually sound good.

After spending some time on Rondo, I figured a 27" scale was going to be ideal for what I endeavor to do, that is detuned playing as low as drop F# or G, while still being capable of using standard tuning. I toiled for a while over getting a baritone six, or dropping the extra $100 on a 7 that may prove difficult to play. I'm not the strongest player, and about 12 years ago I owned an Ibanez RG7620 that I admittedly struggled to find inspiration with, so there was some doubt as to my ability to make proper use of a 7. I eventually settled on the Septor Pro 727 (Tribal Red /w binding), and absolutely do not regret the decision.

I know that many on here have purchased Agile instruments with varying degrees of success. I am happy to say that I got one of the (really) good ones. The only things "wrong" with the guitar as shipped, were its wimpy strings (.009 to .049 - seriously, an .049 for the low B string), and the fact that the truss rod wasn't engaged at all, likely due to the string tension being insufficient enough to bow the massively strong 5-piece maple/walnut neck.

Out of the box, the neck had nearly zero relief, very low action, and absolutely zero fret buzz anywhere along the neck. I also believe the frets are stainless, though the fret material is not specified anywhere on the site. Excellent crown and polish upon them. The neck of this thing is truly a work of art, with its smooth ebony fretboard, and hand finished fretwork.

First thing I did was remove the factory strings and replaced them with some that are much, much heavier. Gauges low-to-high are .072/0.56/.044/.030/.018p/.013/.010. I assembled this string set by combining Ernie Ball's Slinky Baritones with a single slinky .010. At some point, I will probably replace these with a custom set of NYXLs, and will probably step the low B up to a .076 or .080, but the EB Baritones are what I had laying around.

In standard tuning, the string tension is what I can only describe as "monstrous", but the sound is incredible, with some caveats. First, the neck-thru nature of the guitar makes it extremely resonant, so heavy riffing induces sympathetic vibration all over the place, placing a lot of emphasis on good muting technique, and the need for fret wraps above the nut, as well as below the bridge. They should ship these things with a wrap for the headstock at least, because it's just not optional if you like a clean, tight sound. Words alone fail to articulate just how massive this thing sounds with these heavy strings.

It sustains like a piano. I can bar chord on it more easily than my LP Studio, which honestly seems like a steaming pile in comparison to this axe. It makes me really mad, to think about how much I spent on that thing, knowing this $600 Korean axe is superior to nearly everything Gibson makes, except arguably their custom shop models. The longer scale is noticeable, but still very comfortable for me to play as I have large hands. The string tension will take some getting used to as my hands are still adjusting and begin to cramp after 15 minutes of playing. I have made several truss rod adjustments so far (1/4 turn each time), and only last night felt the truss beginning to engage inside the neck. Intonation was balls-on from the outset, but has drifted a little flat after last night's adjustment, which is fine because it will bring the saddles neckward a bit, and that never seems to be a bad thing.

Ok, enough words... Here's a pic of her following the unboxing.

[​IMG]

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats, looks good! Glad you got your hands on a baritone after all these years; enjoy it!

Gibson QC is definitely all-over-the-place, no matter what tier. I've played Gibson Custom Shop stuff which has been just as bad as regular production models, lol.

3. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

really curious about how this looks because on the site they look so shiny and definitely turned me off to being interested in one of them. I bet the purple one is f'n majestic

4. bastardbullet

bastardbullet SS.org Regular

Happy ngd! Just for the record, a fretwrap alone on the upper nut might not do the job perfectly with heavy gauges. I also have had to place a thin piece of soft styrofoam under the nut. Now it works much better this way and of course as you’ve already mentioned, TOM bridges are pure gold only when muted.

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

The finish arrived in perfect shape, no nicks, dings, paint drips, etc. That said, while the figuring on the top looks nice, it doesn't "pop" like a PRS SE finish.

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

The clear coat is beautiful and applied generously. I love the look of the red finish, but the quilting doesn't really jump out at you. The sound is incredible, though. Despite neck-thru construction involving large chunks of maple and mahogany, combined with EMG pickups, I don't think "bright" is how I would describe the sound. It's very balanced, which is surprising because I expected to hate the EMGs.

7. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

its gorgeous. what kind of neck does it feel like, if you were to compare it to something? I find most of the agiles are kind of copping an already designed model from elsewhere. Totally fine with it, just want to get my choosing hat on. Im totally picking one up soon just not sure which. The Legacy BBRs look fantastic.

8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Great question about the neck. To me, it feels like a somewhat thinner, sleeker version of the classic "D" profile, or almost like a halfway point between an Ibanez Wizard neck, and a Les Paul. It is the most comfortable neck I've placed my own hands upon. They do put a gloss finish on the back of it, which some people find "sticky", but I've had no such complaints. Weight balance is great, too. It's a heavy guitar, but I have never seen that as a bad thing.

I'm honestly considering selling off my Les Paul and buying three Agiles and custom electronics to go with them. While individual quality control issues can always be a problem, I think pretty much all of their models offer incredible value. My next purchase is going to be an AL-3200MCC in Oceanburst, and I'll be doing a "Pagey" mod to it using Triple Shots and some hot wound BKPs.

9. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

I have some super high output passives that were custom wound for me by a guy on aguitarforum. they are wicked but sitting in my squier affinity strat. I need a more substantial instrument now. ill likely sand the neck down to a smooth finish when I get one. I have never played wizard neck and i think the al3200 is closer to a prs neck than an lp neck. Ill be interested to try it out. I wonder what I can try at the big box stores that would have a similar neck profile to it.

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

The AL-3200MCC is, quite honestly, one of the sexiest off-the-rack guitars I've seen at any price point. Spec for spec, it's superior to everything in the Gibson range until you get to their Custom models, and even that's debatable as at least the Agile gives you a real ebony fingerboard.

11. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

12. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

So I am not sure which model mine is.

mlp187 likes this.
  13. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

14. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Fixed it. Kurt sent me an email long ago with a link to the old page on the site for my guitar. Production year 2009/2010.

Can’t post links yet though lol

15. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

16. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

they call is Lake Placid Blue. I really need to work on it. The electronics bay has some poor soldering and the action is not set up for any sort of down tuning. Id like splits in there too, there are 4 wires per pup so it should work.

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

That reminds me, I should probably pop the cover off of the control cavity and take a look at the soldering job. While it functions flawlessly, soldering is something I'm extremely good at, and could probably do a better job of it.

I think I lucked out with the Septor Pro 727 as I fully expected to require file work on the nut and string saddles in order to accommodate the strings I chose, but so far nothing seems to be pinched or bound, and both were cut to accommodate much thicker strings than what it shipped with. I've kicked around the idea of buying a couple extra bridges, one cut for an 0.80 on the low end, and one kept for spare parts. At $20 each, it's hard to go wrong, and they're actually a pretty damn good bridge with quality graphite saddles.

18. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Yeah mine looked like the previous owner swapped pickups and then put the stock ones back in to sell it and he did a shitty job of it.

19. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Do you guys work for Agile by any chance? ;-)

20. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Lol i wish. all the free gits I could get my mits on