NGD: Agile semi-custom LP

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by troyguitar, Jul 23, 2013.

1. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Finally got this guitar today:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...7-semi-custom-agile-7-string-al-incoming.html

Agile AL-3XXX Custom w/Case (Deposit for Feb 2013)
    Purple Flame
    Coutoured (3200) w/ 3/4" Maple ($+275)
    7 String (+$50)
    Standard Neck
    MOP Block Inlay
    Ebony FB
    Floyd Rose (+125)
    Gold HW
    Amber Knobs / Cream Rings
    Cream Pickguard
    Triple Cream Binding
    Right Handed
    24 3/4" Scale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial impression: Great guitar for the money. 22 frets instead of 24 is awesome for neck pickup tone. The pickups themselves are extremely mediocre and need to be replaced though - probably just get gold covered BKP Black Dogs just like I have in white in my ARZ307 since that guitar sounds perfect. The paint and wood work looks good, fret work is good enough - edges could use some polishing but they are not sharp.

The guitar is really heavy, probably 30-40% heavier than my ARZ307 most of which is in the body. What this means, combined with the shorter 22-fret neck, is that the guitar has GREAT balance on a strap. No neck dive at all, the neck sits up at like a 30 degree angle without being held up. I had to put super light open-backed Sperzel tuners with plastic buttons on my ARZ to get halfway decent balance, this one is nearly perfect out of the box.

No regrets so far, seems like a super solid guitar at a solid price ($725).

2. celticelk

celticelk SS.org Regular

HNGD! I gotta agree: if it's not 22 frets and 24 3/4, it may *say* it's an LP, but it's not fooling anyone. =) Are you planning to pick up rings for the pickups somewhere else, or just stick with the direct-mount look?

3. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

I dig it.

4. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Love the finish/color - nice!! Congrats!! :)

5. troyguitar

That's a good question, I haven't really thought about it yet. My first concern is whether or not I can fit covered BKP's without routing (my guess is no).

The other option is just throwing in black/creme zebra DiMarzio's and calling it a day for $75 (I already have a zebra AN7 I can put in the neck spot) instead of $350 plus potential routing :lol:

Does anyone besides BKP make covered 7-string pickups yet?

I'm also on the fence regarding creme vs black rings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

I hereby retract any negative statements or thoughts I had about this guitar.

Happy NGD!!! She is beautiful :wub:

7. celticelk

celticelk SS.org Regular

Depends on what you're looking for. SD has their new 7- and 8-string line available with passive covers, and I've mulled over using the Pegasus/Sentient combo in places where I might otherwise consider a pair of Black Dogs, but I've no idea how those would work for your tastes (both sonically and visually). There's also a few (and apparently more coming) passive-sized Lace humbuckers, which could even be anodized to match your hardware if you're willing to spring the $$$ for it. Lace's product rep has been pretty active in a couple of threads in the Dealers section, so that might be a good place to ask.

Also: what's the nut width/string spacing like on this guitar?

8. troyguitar

I haven't measured but it's either 48mm or 1 7/8" - probably 48mm given its import nature.

I've been pretty quiet on the forum and honestly have probably played a guitar for less than 10 hours in the past year so it seems like there are a lot of new products that I don't know much about. I'm not super picky on pickups, just looking for quality passive gold-covered low or medium output stuff.

I guess sticking with direct-mount and the zebras would end up looking kind of more like a Wolfgang type thing, dunno how much I like that option:

[​IMG]

9. celticelk

celticelk SS.org Regular

Gold is definitely not an option for the SD models, unless you do it through the Custom Shop. The Lace pickups will probably not look very traditional, and I'm not sure about output levels. BKPs might be your only good option given your preferences.

If it were me, I'd go for the black fittings; the cream/amber doesn't look right to me with the gold hardware.

10. troyguitar

^ I was just poking around various image searches and it seems like Gibson always does creme plastic and amber knobs with silver hardware, while gold hardware gets black plastic and black speed knobs. I'll probably do the same, didn't realize that back when I ordered. I was thinking the warmer creme/amber tones would work better with the warmer gold finish but it really does not.

11. TylerRay

TylerRay LP Addict

Gibson sould take note of guitars like this and stop living in the stonage!

12. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs. Pinch Harmonics. Pick Scrapes. Dive Bombs.

Congrats and hngd!

13. MikeSap

MikeSap formerly mikeyENGL

HNGD man i'm digging the colorway!

14. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

id be lying if i said that this guitar wasn't one of the nicest iv ever seen, hngd dude!

15. Razzle

Razzle SS.org Regular

Congrats on your NGD! (better late than never)

Amazing, I ordered one of these and it looks almost exactly like yours but yours is 7-string, I've not seen it before. But it looks cool!!!

Here's the one I ordered:

[​IMG]

16. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

mmmm ! purple and gold ! smart and beautiful !

Congrats ! :yesway: :)

17. AbsentCurtis

AbsentCurtis Avoiding work

That is stunning! I was "this close" to doing something very similar but with the wine red and chambered.

18. troyguitar

Since it's been bumped already and I've been playing guitar more lately, here are some thoughts:

This thing really does play phenomenally for the price. It is absolutely on par with something like a Carvin, MIJ Jackson, or Prestige Ibanez. All I've done to the setup is adjust the tension on the back claw to get the tuning right, other than that it was perfect out of the box.

The pickups are still crap, kind of like stock Ibanez high output ceramic deals. My ARZ with the BKP Black Dogs sounds way better, so I still need to pick out something to try on the Agile. While the guitars look the same, they're made of entirely different woods so I don't think the same Black Dogs are going to work as well.

ARZ is all mahogany with a rosewood fretboard.

Agile is maple neck-through a thick mahogany body with a thick maple cap and an ebony fretboard, a decent amount brighter all around really.

Since I already own a DiMarzio AN7 in black/creme zebra I'm thinking of putting it in the bridge position with a PAF 7 in the neck for a combination that's similar in output and overall style to the ARZ/Black Dog combo but will have its own sound. I guess I should ask zimbloth how the BKP and DiMarzio stuff compares in output...

All in all I'm still really satisfied with the Agile purchase, enough that I'm now thinking about ordering another custom 7 from them - semi-hollow next time.

19. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

nice! ...so my question is where would one go about getting an Agile semi custom made?

20. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular