NGD!!! Agile 8-string (Interceptor Pro 828 Trial Purple Quilt)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by decreebass, Apr 4, 2013.

1. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

*For this same post but with TONS of pics & captions, click here* (redirects to CarvinBBS)

So, for those that haven't read my rants over at the Carvin BBS; I had originally ordered a custom DC800 but wanted a guitar to hold me over until that beast arrived. Well, that was over 3 weeks ago and I still haven't been charged my 20% deposit - I've sent them several emails with no response -SO for all I know, they haven't even begun my guitar, despite my conversations with Steve, the sales dude.

Anyway, I had been looking at an RG8 but then someone over at Carvin BBS recommended I check out Agile. I started reading the hundreds of threads over here and checking out their site. I began lusting after their gear; I couldn't decide between 7, 8, or 9-string, multiscale or not, actives vs passive pickups, color, fretboard wood, etc.

Finally, I saw this beauty. It was listed as a B-stock guitar because it had a scratch on one of the horns. For $600 it came with a case; this is $200 less than the same model WITHOUT a case (an extra $65).

So here it is - first, specs:
    model: Agile Interceptor Pro 828 Tribal Purple
    5-piece maple/hog Neck-through
    Hog body
    Cepheus active pickups
    Ebony fretboard with offset dot inlays
    Quilted maple carved top with matching headstock
    Black hardware
    Kahler locking tremolo

Overall, I'm amazed. I really was expecting a pretty crappy instrument; or serviceable at best. I had read so many negative reviews on this site... Aside from a few minor blemishes, the finish is near flawless. The routes are clean. There are no buzzing frets, and the neck is straight as an arrow. The controls are tight, clean, and smooth. I don't really have much to compare the sound to, but the neck pickup sounds nice and fat & warm, and the bridge does it's job bringing out the upper harmonics and clarity with tight mids. Sorry, I can't really compare them to other pickups; I've never had a guitar with active pickups before. Also, the alleged blemish that made the guitar a B-stock item is barely noticable; if you see one of these B-stocks, SNAG IT ASAP!!! Lastly, the description on the site said the guitar was a satin finish, but mine is clear; that's even better since it's a quilt!

My complaints so far are few. The volume is right where I usually like to place the side of my hand when I palm mute and sweep on the higher strings, but I can adjust. The action is not as low as my Carvin DC747, but it's still pretty good and I think it will force me to play cleaner and more deliberate. I wish it had straplocks.

Folks; this is one gorgeous sounding, looking, and playing guitar. I am so glad I wasn't dissuaded by some of these negative reviews - I'm glad I sided with the positive reviews :) For a THIRD of the cost of what I was about to pay for a Carvin (without the tremolo, locking nut, and longer scale), I got this bad boy shipped in 2 days. You can't beat that. Stay tuned for sound samples and/or vids and again; for more pics, click on the link at the top of the post to see all the goodies.
    :hbang:

Attached Files:

2. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Nice catch ! Purple quilt wins ! :yesway: :)

Happy NGD :shred:

3. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Yea; I used to have a 7-string fretless bass that was built for me by Wishbass and it had a massive purpleheart fingerboard; it was a very similar color. I am in love with this guitar :) I'm finding myself relieved that Carvin forgot about me lol.

4. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

How do you like the Kahler? How's the sustain on the upper frets, like when bending/vibrato the high E string? And does it flutter? :D

5. Minoin

Minoin Scientist

Thanks for the review. I believe you snagged up one of the very well made Agile's! We've been stoned to death with Agile's, but this one actually looks very inviting to play! Congrats!

6. aikupu

aikupu SS.org Regular

oh my word, that looks nice

7. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Congrats man! That's a nice quilt, a very tasteful 8 IMO. :D

8. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Okay, so here's where I'm a little bit useless: I don't really use the tremolo - frankly, I simply don't know how, It's on my agenda though.

HOWEVER - the sustain is amazing! I was playing some stupid little min7 run that ended on the high B-string's 1st octave; not only was I blown away with the tone, but the not seemed to ring out forever! this same little lick yielded similar results all over the neck.

So, with that said, this afternoon I'm gonna play with the trem a little and, at the very least, see how the tuning holds up. The main reason I use trems if for the fine tuners, and the ones on this guitar work brilliantly.:yesway:

EDIT: I did play with the trem a little before work. First of all, I'm not crazy about having to screw the arm in; I like the Floyds where you put the trem in and then tighten the sleeve - this way kinda makes it feel like a cheap Squire strat or something. I didn't do any crazy full dives or anything, but it's nice it can raise OR lower the pitch without having to take out a huge hole of wood to make everything work. And the fine tuners work great. Still gotta get used to which tuner goes to which string with 8 of em!

Also, the frets are a bit rough when it comes to bending; I can definitely feel rubbing; might just be some sort of polish or something though. And yes, there is a touch of flutter towards the end of the note; but that may be circumstantial - I haven't really been able to turn up any volume yet so I really don't have a good idea of what it REALLY sounds like.

Yea, she's probably gonna need a little TLC before she's Carvin quality, but I'm still in love :)

9. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

I especially like the section between the pickups; the quilt here is a bit of a casserole of nonsense, but that's what's cool about it. There's a couple little sections on the top like this, but I don't need a picture perfect consistent quilt - I like the character this one has :)

10. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

Sweet looking axe! I know Agile sometimes gets a raw deal around here but I for one scored a great guitar from them as well. Maybe the tides are turning?:yesway:

11. WaffleTheEpic

WaffleTheEpic Banned

It's a satin polyurethane finish, so yes, it is clear. ;)

Very nice catch mate! It's beautiful. :)

12. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

She's a beaut!

Derek

13. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue Frankensteeeeein!

Jesus H Tits - that is gorgeous! Congrats on your lucky snag dude!

14. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

Hey shootz brah, nice catch for da 'aina!

15. Shredmon

Shredmon SS.org Regular

sweeeeet Axe Dude! HNGD!
    greets!

16. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

It's all I can think about... when I'm at work, I just want to go home and hold it and play it... I think I'm in love :agreed: