NGD after almost a decade almost goes sour -Truss Rod help needed - GMP Custom Shop 1994-6 model

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 777timesgod, Oct 11, 2019.

1. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

After almost a decade of not buying gear (I haven't recorded or played in any band and along with a despondency for the scene, I just practice daily for my own sake) I found a pretty neat deal on a GMP guitar in Germany. I always had a thing for GMPs after checking Jack Frost (ex-Savatage) and former Guns 'N' Roses rhythm guitarist Gilby Clarke swing some pretty fine models from them. I knew that they had quality and nice rock tunes so I figured it was time to make a move and cover my Guns N Roses, Santana, Classic music, Jazz/Blues noodling as the Moser and other metal axes I used over the years are too heavy for this purpose.
    After a lot of inspection and assurances from the seller, we reached a deal and the money changed hands. Like a complete amateur I did not insist on checking the Truss rod. I received assurance that it was in perfect working order and since the neck was dead straight and all else seemed well I left it at that (never do this by the way, always insist on checking it).
    The guitar looks like the Elite model from GMP but is actually called the Custom (lame name I know), it has Mahogany neck and back body, a divine Maple top (thick as a Carvin DC, not like the leaf thick Ibanez and Jackson ones we often see) which served to blind me to the proper inspection I was supposed to do and a Rosewood fingerboard. Sperzel locking tuners, Wilkinson floating tremolo which stays in tune very well after fluttering like crazy during playing
    (beware the aluminium plate below it when making adjustments to height, etc. or it will be torn out and you will have to hunt for a new one, always unlock the special bolts before doing anything) and should be standard in mid range Fenders and higher imo, the pictures below show it as was delivered and the tremolo was set badly with the strings going sideways because of it, will reset them properly. Seymour Duncan Custom-Custom, single coil SL1 and a 59 for the neck with only one volume knob. I contacted GMP and Dan Lawrence (who is in charge of the company now) along with is wife Kim assured me that it is an original piece and one of their early ones from the mid 90s, the serial number is hidden in the tremolo cavity which is a very good thing that other companies should copy.
    It plays like a dream, somewhere between a USA Jackson Soloist and a Carvin DC neckwise, it is a bit crowded for speedy picking purposes due to ther 5 coild but then again it was not build for tech death and other crazy or hardcore styles. The side dots are abalone and the diamond inlays/logo are very nice with a deep look. The nut is actually a roller below the hooks which prevent the strings from moving side to side
    Now lets arrive to the truss rod which is the biggest problem, once I opened the difficult to reach truss rod cover (the headstock is quite small and unless you remove the G and D strings you will struggle hard) I was faced with the horror of the picture that you can see below.
    It seems that something covered the rod edge and then the cover was sealed over it and was left to rot (the original owner has not played the guitar in years and the frets seem relatively new, kept as a collector's piece). After a few moments of anger and panic, contemplating how to return it and get my money back, I calmed down and grabbed the cleaning tools as it seemed to be more dirt than straight up destroying rust. Due to the lacquer near the area I avoided Acetone (nail polish removing liquid) and went with the usual cleaning oils etc. After a lot of work the truss rod edge was cleaned, its shape revealed and with the exception of a few scratches and the blackened colour looks a lot better (photos will follow in the coming days as I notice now that I forgot to picture the progress).
    Now we come to the second problem, which is the truss rod key, after going through every hex key in my toolbox, I discovered that nothing would fit. I visited my local guitar tech/luthier and he found one (maybe from an old Carvin?) so that we can check the neck movement (tight perhaps due to the Mahogany neck but moving nicely with no problems). After checking online and in local stores/depots I could not find another one with an inside diameter measured at 6.78mm / 0.266 inches. My tech did mention that it is a bit rare nowadays. Can anyone help by pointing me in the right direction to find one? As of now my only choice is to visit my luthier every time I want to adjust the neck and borrow his own.
    image-0-02-05-0b5fd1e5a37ddb466fe9b3e776c92c1e8655256a4128b7fb24c0275dbe75b3af-V.jpg image-0-02-05-1df3497d33f27165bd5f5a61e37442abf348e29123c798fc66c2906a370f7e56-V.jpg IMG_20190912_230552.jpg IMG_20190912_230559.jpg IMG_20191001_135317.jpg IMG_20191001_135328.jpg IMG_20191001_135334.jpg IMG_20191001_135418.jpg IMG_20191001_135445.jpg IMG_20191001_135546.jpg

2. 777timesgod

IMG_20191014_233614.jpg
    The truss rod looks much better now, the fretboard is next for a clean-up. The problem with the weird width hex key remains. What is the best source for finding such unusual keys (outside of ebay of course)?

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just replace the truss rod nut.

4. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

5. 777timesgod

I am sucker for keeping everything stock, especially on custom made guitars, for as long as I can. I may have to if my search does not yield results.

I already searched E-bay, I have no problem buying from any place as long as they have the key I need. I already saw that ad and they do not offer it in 6.78mm. They offer 6-6.3-6.5.-7, it will not be a correct fit if I buy something close to it and the edge will be worn more. I will check allparts though, thanks.