NGD | Absolutely Blown Away

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JustinRhoads1980, Dec 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I use graphite on my bridge and nut, just a pencil. Others go further and use graphite and some lube. Ive heard good things about big bends nut sauce. Tuning for me is usually a bit iffy on the first few days of new strings anyways, so hopefully it’s just new string syndrome and calms down a bit for you.

mastapimp likes this.
  2. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Done the graphite.

I dunno. As much as i love the guitar, the tuning is really pissing me off. Plus as i said earlier the color is not really for me, i dunno.

3. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Get nut sauce...it goes on all my guitars now. I put a tiny dot on the nut as well as the bridge and it seems to keep the strings in tune. No need for graphite if you apply the nut sauce lubricant.

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- Might be obvious but did you maybe forget to stretch the strings and set the witness points? Maybe an oversight and they're just still stretching out?
    - Another really important thing to check that most people don't really pay any attention to or do is at the tuning machines where you cut off the string end, make sure to grab that end and push it and wiggle it vigorously in all directions side to side and up and down and then pull the string wind really tight on the string part that passes over the headstock. Your guitar will go out of tune a bunch and then retune it. Do this process along with stretching the strings a few times and setting the witness points and eventually it should stick in tune really well and stop giving you problems. Make sure when string stretching to not over do it. I usually lift the string from the 12th fret until it's taut and then while taut move it a couple inches from side to side. Rinse and repeat. This process works really well.

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Did you have tuning stability issues before you changed strings?

what strings did you put on there? sometimes the tension from different brands (even for the same gauge) can be different enough to make things a little whacky for tremolo use. For example, there is a significant difference in tension with a set of ernie ball 9-42's vs. d'addario 9-42's. EB's feel more 'slinky' (easier to bend) but they actually have more tension at pitch than D'addario. I'd have to double-check my numbers but the difference is I think roughly 5 lbs. difference total.

6. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Same set of strings and i did have tuning concerns before hand and thought changing the strings would help

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Maybe you got a dud? I thought tuning stability was supposed to be pretty good?

8. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

Im not having major tuning issues with mine I get a slight drift on the g string but its nothing major to me. I did swap out the stock string trees for graph tech string trees they seem a bit better than the stock ones and I do plan on swapping out the tuners to a staggered set (don't know why they didn't do that to begin with).

When I do tune it if I am getting a sharp not on any string after a dip in the bar I will generally tune it flat and then use the bar to bring it to pitch and it seems to stabilize it.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Your strings are catching at the nut.

Loosen the strings, clean out the nut slots with a brush, take a spare length of string identical to all six of your current strings (off cuts from stringing work great) and run them through the slots. You don't want to provide any downward pressure, just back and forth. You're essentially cutting the slots slightly wider for your strings. Clean out the slots again, and place a dab of white grease (just a tiny dab, don't go crazy). Put a little white grease on the string contact areas of the string trees too.

Tune back up. If you're still catching, widen the nut slots further.

aesthyrian and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Or just get a new nut. All these imports (usually) come with shitty plastic or equivalent nuts. It’s usually always my first “mod” on new guitars.

11. MaxOfMetal

These come stock with GraphTech Tusq XL.

12. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Edit - just saw Max's post - note that my method is extremely risky in comparison and won't be my first approach here on out:
    Regarding the tuning, sometimes graphite/nut sauce won't make a difference. In that case I run a nut file through the slots for about 9 passes (arbitrary magic # for me), test, repeat as necessary.
    Anyway, good luck!

13. MaxOfMetal

That sounds great to me. Same idea, just different tools.

Just want to be a little more careful as not to remove too much material.

JustinRhoads1980 and mlp187 like this.