NGD | Absolutely Blown Away

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JustinRhoads1980, Dec 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Just googled it - while it looks superficially similar to the Gotoh, it's actually a Wilkinson design. Mother of all sample sizes here, but my Strat with a VS100 has more of a Floyd-like range while diving, while the Gotoh dives more like a vintage trem. Mine's rear-routed, as is Pete's, but that shouldn't be a factor for diving.

Both are extremely stable.

Thaeon likes this.
  2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

The Charvel is much thicker than any Ibanez I've owned and the shape is the complete opposite.

3. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Great score man. Fine looking axe. Always cool to score something that exceeds your expectations.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  4. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

As Drew I think said, its a Wilkinson design. But it isn't on their site. I'm not sure if its going to be available anywhere other than through Suhr. So far, I haven't seen any other guitars other than Pete's with it installed. It is standard equipment on his Sig though.

5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Also, OP, beautiful guitar. I'm not always a Charvel fan, but I DO really like that one and the GG one. They latter plays ungodly well. It's the only one I've played in the last 5 years or so though.

6. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

That sure is a nice guitar! I wonder if they come in black?

;>)/

7. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

They do, but i find that the gloss black and the caramelized maple neck don't gel in my eyes.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Do white racing stripes on the blue guitar. I can’t be the first one to mention this? White stripes. White stripes. White stripes. Hey I think I may be onto something here...

9. JustinRhoads1980

u first

10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Wasn't Wilkinson Gotoh-owned anyway?

For a while, it seemed like they were testing using it as their budget overseas-made brand???

11. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Killer guitar, man, quite a score! The neck looks superb, pity about the tooling marks, but it's really a non-issue if the guitar feels great.

12. bassisace

bassisace SS.org Regular

Looks great!! Congrats! How are the pickups?

13. JustinRhoads1980

Yeah. The color is more an issue to me than that, but it's whatever.

Im mixed on them. Some days i think they are alright and some days im like meh. Nothing that has blown my mind

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not sure about the ownership, but Gotoh made a licensed Wilkinson VS100, which I'm pretty sure is the one I ended up buying.

aesthyrian likes this.
  15. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

As promised , just hope not to interfere your ngd
    Really nice finish, neck a bit raw/dry, polished and oiled the ebony fretboard a bit. Sh-6 sounds fat in there, like it a lot.
    Added straplocks and a d tuna since the poc (the floyd is top mounted, no recessed cavity)
    Cool guitar, love it ;)

Attached Files:

16. JustinRhoads1980

How is the upper fret access?

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

lmao I was gonna do my first NGD thread in like 10 years because nobody had posted a DK24 yet. Looks like I missed my chance.... yours is even the same color.

Had mine for about a month but haven't had much of a chance to play it, I use a different guitar for gigs so I was playing my Nitefly exclusively and only pickin the Charvel up when I was sick of practicing. Naturally the Parker thanked me for my dedication by drifting out of tune over the course of the set so by the end I was really wishing I had just set up the Charvel properly and used it instead.

Very sick guitar. About 90% as good as my Suhr for 20% the cost. I was being really picky and went around all the local music stores trying out all their DK24s to make sure I got a good one. QC, at least when it comes to the neck and setup, seems really tight on these guitars. A couple were a little less toneful than others but overall they were consistently great. Much better than anything I was seeing from Ibanez in the same range because I did check out and eventually discard the idea of picking up an AZ224. More money, but less good? Ibanez needs to get it together.

After playing a bunch I was so stoked on the build quality I ignored my own rule and ordered one in. It did not disappoint at all. Great stuff Charvel. I'd keep an eye on anything coming out of FMIC's Mexico factory. I ordered a DKA8 right when they announced it and it wasn't good at all but it seems like they've stepped it a lot since then.

g2WRMRiE.jpeg

Enjoy the fiddle bruh

mlp187, aesthyrian, XPT707FX and 4 others like this.
  18. JustinRhoads1980

I tried an ibanez AZ whatever the fuck and the neck was thicker and just didnt feel as of quality for a guitar more than 2x the price.

I also skimped out on the pink one at my store because the feel was slightly different and the tone was thinner compared to the one i got.

Beautiful guitar tho! Thinking of doing some hardware color swaps but who knows

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I'm not a chrome guy, matte silver hardware would look real handsome on it but I can't find the bridge in colors other than chrome, gold and black.

Trying to decide on new pickups... the stockers are good, but I've been playing bareknuckle War Pigs for so long they sound thin to my ears. Nail Bombs maybe.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Wilkinson is a British based hardware/guitar designer/importer. They spec it all out and then license the manufacturing to places like Gotoh Japan, Sung Il South Korea, and really anyone willing to pay the fee.