NGD - A not so merry christmas - Acacia Romulus Multiscale 8 content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by codyblast, Dec 26, 2013.

1. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

Hope this gets resolved!

2. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Do these guys not realize how easy it is to show how poor the work is to the whole world? If I was building guitars, I would be paranoid to ship anything not perfect, knowing it will end up on a website somewhere.

3. MaCkCiTy

MaCkCiTy SS.org Regular

6000 views by the same 20 guys! ;)

I asked my Retail Supervisor friend about the tax thing. She rattled some crap from the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) and something about the taxation department. I didn't really get the specifics, but she said from her understanding, you'd get your tax money back.

4. minorseventh

minorseventh SS.org Regular

make it 21.

I had emailed Acacia back and forth not long ago, and was planning on having something built. Luckily the holidays came and sucked all my money, but I was wanting to plop down a deposit now that they're over. Glad I read this thread now. I will find another company.
    My condolences to the OP.

5. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Oh man I am sorry. I am glad I pulled out of my build.

6. satchmo72

satchmo72 SS.org Regular

THIS!!!!!!!!!! Just because someone worked as a Luthier (or whatever) does not mean they are capable of doing it on their own. Many go out with no mindset whatsoever, just that they are not going to work for the "man" anymore.

Custom guitar work seems to be mired in scheduling issues. I waited a year or two to get some things done, luckily mine came out to be one of the best swirls I have ever seen but others aren't so lucky. I won't do it again.

I hope they make this right with ya OP.

7. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

100+ likes for Ormsby's post would suggest otherwise. :)

I think if the OP/owner of Acacia abomination has a receipt for full purchase price and shipping he can claim that back upon shipping it out of the country. I claimed back 10% on around $3k worth of gear that was going to family overseas when passing through Sydney airport.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I think a lot of companies are blind to how destructive the internet can be for your business. Anyone who has looks at this thread is going to ad Acacia to their black list of guitar manufacturers. I seriously wonder what they think when they are packing a guitar like this into its case. They either think the customer won't notice or are deluded enough to think its a well made guitar.

9. Ketzer

Ketzer Good news, everyone!

I have no ....ing idea how this is a surprise to anyone at this point. Everyone's always in search of the next big thing, but doesn't want to pay big dollars for it. Every time, it ends the same way.

BRJ
    Halo
    Emperion
    Strictly 7 (so I've heard)
    Roter

Now these guys?

Never be the first. Never Ever. Wait until enough people have the product you're buying before you commit one penny of your own money. The worst that could happen is that you'd have to wait just a little bit longer.

And especially a "Black Friday" run of guitars, no less. That almost guarantees that the company will have more debt (in sold-but-as-of-yet-unbuilt guitars) than they have cash on hand to cover, so if a few people back out and want a refund, there's no money because all of the cash the company took in has been spent on materiel (or whatever) and they probably have very little or nothing to show for it.

And when the first guitar gets delivered, and it's a ....ing pile, everyone goes to get their money back at the same time. And there is no money. And everyone who paid cash and has no guitar yet is SOL, because at best, they're gonna be bad, and at worst, your money is gone, vanished into thin air.

Think long and hard before spending your hard-earned on something that's untested. Make a builder EARN your business by having a track record of consistently producing quality work.

10. ice_age_magic

ice_age_magic That's what she said

Let me start by saying - acacia guitars is located 15 minutes from where I live.

A while ago I was looking to get a custom made, and everyone here was saying "dude, just get one from acacia, his guitars look sick". All I ever saw was some dude who uses nice woods, and usually knows how to pick a nice top, but didn't actually have any skill - at least not enough to build top tier instruments - more like nice stools, tables, boxes.
    That was about 2 years ago, and today I get confirmation that I was right.

I feel your pain.. Really sorry this happened to you, but I guess it helps remind us all that sometimes, in the end, its easiest to take the long road to satisfaction.

11. capoeiraesp

Did you visit their workshop?

12. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

:lol:

I posted a link to this on the Acacia facebook. I asked if they had any input on the matter. I guess they had a change of heart because they answered "We're issuing a full refund," but...then they pulled it down a day later.

People on the Acacia FB page are super blind to the obvious build flaws.

13. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

Custom orders are so tough.. go with a smaller company and possibly get an end product like this or go with a big company's CS and wait like 9 years for a guitar and pay a price that falls close to a gaggillion dollars.

Personally, I would just prefer to buy stock and customize myself and that way I know what's up.

So sorry to hear about your troubles dude. I hope they get worked out.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

As bad as the guitar is they have to protect their business. Right now Facebook is the number 1 way for builders to get new customers right now. If anyone with a build spot with them saw this thread they would not go through with it.

Hopefully they are giving a full refund because anything else is unacceptable.

Don't be put off by threads like this. There are plenty of luthiers with quick build times(after starting), lowish prices, great communication with pictures and top notch quality.

15. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

OP, have they contacted you directly yet?
    Any resolution?

16. Dethyr

Dethyr Banned

Oh I am more than aware, I have a few that I would trust if I was to go that route, Guerilla guitars will get my money someday sooner than later, maybe Egan guitars as well but those are companies I trust because I know people in the companies.

17. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

That's so sad man.
    SOOOOOO SAD :(

18. Rus

Rus Member

I hope you get the refund from them and put that money towards a well-built instrument. I would have flown to california and shoved it up his ass.

I like to order custom guitars from well-established luthiers with a reputation for quality. Design comes second, and some luthiers will even let you design your headstock and body shape, although a lot won't deviate from what they like. One guy didn't take a $4,000 order cause he didn't want to use ebony instead of rosewood for the fingerboard.

If you only want a neck-through, that reduces your options for luthiers, but there are still some really good ones out there!

19. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

Indeed. In my line of work, I get to see and work on the shit stuff that gets sent out to folks, and it's still surprising to me that some of these instruments by some of these smaller builders doesn't make the one-way trip to the bandsaw instead. I mean, these days it's not a matter of if, but when, the poor workmanship and fundamental build errors are shown for all the world to see. And no matter what, it will be rep damaging. It seems like most of these guys forget the infamous 1980's Wayne Charvel shop meltdown screaming "NEVER let shit leave this shop...EVER!!" before grabbing a rack full of duds and demonstratively marching over to the bandsaw in front of all the employees and one by one sawing them in half and throwing them off to the trash bin. :lol:

I've got hundreds of horror-story repair pics I've built up over the years, from pretty much all companies, but the explosion of newer builders in the past 10 years has yielded the most fundamental errors and/or just obviously rushed, primitive shit that I've seen in many years; BRJ, Roter, Halo, S7, Blackmachine, Skervessen, Dot-on Shaft, and more. Make no mistake though, to a few of these builders credit, I have also seen some beautiful work as well, but unfortunately the major mistake for them is not recognizing when to NOT send that particular sloppy one out in hopes that no one cares or notices - which inevitably comes back and bites them in the ass. Every time.

If they wish to stay in this business for the long haul, they really need to focus more on forethought and the quality of what they're sending out and how it may affect them down the road, rather than trying their damndest to rake in the cash as fast as humanly possible by rushing everything - where rushing produces mistakes and slop.

RedDog22 likes this.
  20. capoeiraesp

Blackmachine have faults? No way!