NGD - A not so merry christmas - Acacia Romulus Multiscale 8 content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by codyblast, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

Dude, I'm so sorry you had to deal with this bullshit. Nothing worse then getting burned on a custom. However, thank you so much for posting a no-BS NGD instead of trying to sneak out from under the build. It helps keep everyone honest!

2. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

3. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

That guitar should have been rebuilt in at least 5 different stages from what I can see. The fretboard being slammed to the body is just stupid. Unless you're recessing your bridge(s), good luck on getting decent action with almost any bridge on the market.

If you're building a guitar and you .... it up, you rebuild it. Period. This shouldn't even be up for debate or questioned. You sure as hell don't make a half assed attempt to ship the customer a guitar like this.

You could cut a recess for a bridge plate to mount the ABM's to and get them lower in an effort to get the the action lower. You shouldn't have to do this at all, but it's a possible solution.

I had a couple of frets in one of my customers guitars lift out in transit - the cutters i used for the slots were too wide for the frets to have a solid catch, so i covered a complete re-fret for the guy.

Hats off to Perry for trying to help OP out and get this guitar into a useable condition.

4. Aris_T

Aris_T SS.org Regular

I can't think of anything more appropriate than unacceptable. The fact that you ordered a neck-through and received (as it seems) a set neck, freaked me out the most.

Really hope that Ormsby turns this into a guitar that you can actually play!

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

:erk:

Seeing companies build guitars like this really annoys me. After seeing what happened to Invictus and how one thread/article can destroy a luthiers rep it amazes me how guitars like this are let out to the public when they should be thrown in a fire.

If it was me I'd demand a refund since you didn't get the specs you payed for. The company is going to go under in 2014 if they keep this up.

Ormsby will be able to sort out a lot of the problems. The Saddles can be recessed, freeboard refretted, Not sure about the string tree and tuners messing everything up though.

6. RV350ALSCYTHE

RV350ALSCYTHE SS.org Regular

Threads/Articles don't destroy luthier's :lol:

Their terrible work does!

It is nice that a thread can hasten the collapse before more people get ....ed, but really they killed themselves by letting garbage out the door.

Seriously, they could have removed the hardware and scrapped the guitar and started over. Maybe lose $50 in material (wood) as well as the time spent making this POS. Maybe give the employee a good slap and start over.

Losing some profit on a rebuild could have saved this company. Instead they risk losing everything because they don't want to satisfy ONE customer.

Strongly Advise!
    If YOU don't catch our ....ups while we make them you will not receive a playable instrument.
    Liability is on you, the customer, to provide quality control.

OP: let me know if you're interested in selling this POS. I'm interested in making this workable if you don't want to have anything more to do with it.
    Send me a PM.

7. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Man, this is terrible. Such a bad joke of a guitar, I truly feel sorry for the OP, who clearly hasn't received what he payed for. A refund would be the only fair solution here, IMHO.

8. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

ouch :( that nut is roter level, the rest is even worse

9. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

utter joke!!!!

10. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

Real shame on your guitar man. I got my guitar from Acacia when he was still fairly new, I was quote number 45, so I believe it was only Scott and probably another guy working under him that built my guitar. Now that there popularity has skyrocketed (in both good and bad now), he has probably recruited more people, thus quality probably slipping through the cracks.

If you read my NGD for my Acacia guitar http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/233412-ngd-mirrored-8-string-56k-start-your-engines.html, I had some finish issues as well and pickup mounting issues, but that was pretty much it.

I really hope you can get this resolved. My experience was great with Scott, hell I even met him when I went over to his area because I had some relatives that actually lived close by; a real nice dude. Unfortunately that is not an exception to what this potentially badass guitar could have been= a badass guitar.

11. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Jesus Christ, that's the kind of thing you don't even expect in a $200 guitar, let alone a $2k+ custom guitar. I hope it works out for you, as that's not a small amount of money to have dumped into that abortion of an instrument. It really is sad that somebody thought it'd be okay to charge that much hard earned cash and then make this thing.

For what it's worth, it looks nice, and once it's made playable it should (hopefully) be a pretty sweet axe. Props to Ormsby if they can get this thing in working order. (hell, props for even just being willing to attempt fixing what some schmuck ruined.) I definitely think de-badgeing is a great idea. Seriously, I wouldn't want to be seen repping a shit company.

12. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Thanks for this post - please do follow up if they make it right.

13. RedDog22

RedDog22 SS.org Regular

seems like once companies get the artist endorsement/s, order volume goes up, quality suffers, and delays/back-ups begin. Saw these issues on another custom build thread a few weeks ago. Very enlightening. Shame you had to not only wait all year, pay the import & taxes only to recieve an unplayable axe. That shallow nut & string hold-down bar makes me want to :scream: if it was not asked for by you.

Anyway, hope you can get it sorted out & keep us updated.

14. codyblast

codyblast 1

I originally ordered an angled nut. They sent a progress picture with a zero fret and straight nut like on the all wenge hades multiscale they had recently built, I pointed out that I didn't order than and in attempt to salvage the situation, asked for an angled strat style nut to be placed behind the zero fret. I sent a picture of a skervesen build as reference. The picture had a string tree in it, so while I didn't explicitly order it I can see why it went there.
    Funnily enough though, the string tree wasn't present on any of the photos until the very very last batch before sending it out. Seems to me like the first time they tuned the guitar up, they realised the strings pop out of the nut and rather than build a new nut, they just wacked a string tree on there to sort it out. A new nut is still required anyway as the string spacing is very uneven.

I emailed acacia a big list of every flaw I could find, mentioned they were all covered by their terms and conditions. An un named employee said that a refund is 'the best thing to do' or something like that, and said he would talk to Scott about it. Just waiting on the details of the refund now. I'm hoping for full refund on the guitar + original shipping and for them to pay for the shipping back to USA. Initial import fees being refunded would be nice as well but I don't think they are really liable for those.

15. MaCkCiTy

MaCkCiTy SS.org Regular

I'm sure you would be able to get tax back, surely it would be the same as a duty free refund or something! Can't pay goods and services tax on something that didn't happen!

16. ormsby guitars

ormsby guitars SS.org Regular

The exact reason I refused all endorsement offers from anyone in the first 7 years of business. And that included some 'OMFG they are a household name!' players. I've only given away one instrument and that was the RR Bass. All other endorsers get a discount but they still have to pay... and wait.

Business growth needs to be carefully planned. It needs to be sustainable. It needs to be organic. It needs to match your mindset and personal growth abilities. You need susyems in place that are proven. You need consistancy and repeatability. Too quick and it runs away from you. If it runs away from you, you're screwed.

17. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

Not only is it probably very solid, if it's not they will give you a new one! More importantly after the problem is half fixed they sell it as B-stock.....I have had about 30 Bstock LTD's in my day.....SAVINGS!!!!!

18. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

whoah, whoah, let's not stretch it that far! My Roter's nut would only slip on the lowest string... This shit is worse! :p

19. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

6000+ views for this thread. I don't think this abomination will be forgotten anytime soon.

20. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

It's almost laughable, because most of those errors could fairly easily have been avoided; it's simply a lack of care in the manufacturing.

Outside the scope of this is the chosen lower quality of bridge/saddles, and I'm not sure about what's been going on with the paint-taint.

Seems to me like fixable - with due financial penalties, of course..
    Why any builder would risk such stuff added to the resume is beyond my capacity :spock: