NGD - A not so merry christmas - Acacia Romulus Multiscale 8 content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by codyblast, Dec 26, 2013.

1. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Man, this is so god damn unfortunate. Yet another company trying to take on way more than they can pull off. It's obvious that a lot of the stuff they've done is really sloppy and messy and disorganized. They don't have a good workflow, and probably do a lot of "oh yeah, shit, I forgot about that... Okay, how to get around this..."

I love the LOOK of their work design-wise, but what good is a gorgeous sculpture molded with poop? That's probably how they are getting orders though. Guitars that look pretty in pictures. I've made the same mistake myself, unfortunately. The irony is that of all the guitars I've bought in the past, the ones that were most worth the money I paid were Agile guitars.

I hope that thing gets some well-deserved love and care from Mr. Ormsby there, and that things work out for the better for you!

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

is the 11 fret in that pic tilted back towards the nut? WTF? MAn, I expect a $800 to be nearly flawless, let alone what you spend...so sorry to see this.

3. codyblast

codyblast 1

Well, yeah. I asked about it after they sent some progress pics of the fretboard wood, they said it was definitely ebony. It's the lightest ebony I've ever seen for sure, but I didn't want to call them out as straight up liars. Though this and the set neck uncertainty is a bit, well. yeah. It's really hard to know what angle to come at this whole mess from, a kneejerk response of just anger won't really get me anywhere.

I'll be contacting Ormsby (many thanks again Perry) for a repair quote and then contacting Acacia over the next week for some kind of compensation. I'll keep everyone updated on how it all goes, just in case anyone's still actually considering going with these clowns.

4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

You deserve a full refund, this guitar is a piece of shit.

Mine had similar garbage fretwork when it came in- I sent it back to them to get it fixed. They fixed the fretwork but in the process put a bunch of dents in the body :wallbash: It's currently a parts guitar.

5. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

Sorry to hear that. Why couldn't they get the fretboard right the very first time?

OP, thanks for being honest with your NGD. Acacia's look very beautiful, so it is no wonder they attract customers.

6. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

To play devil's advocate (on the couple things that actually can have that done), most ebony isn't actually as dark as what we associate with it, and the grain on that fretboard doesn't look like rosewood. I'd also be surprised if it was set neck instead of neck through (I'm not saying it couldn't be. Who knows at this point?). It looks like the lines of the plies of wood line up with each other. I think it's much more likely that it's just a bad implementation of a through neck.

7. JoeGuitar717

JoeGuitar717 Balaguer Guitars/Dark Matter Instruments

I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but I am just so freaking aggravated. I'm sure some of you have read this thread when I left :

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/me...-hey-guys-joe-ex-acacia-guitars-employee.html - under my old username that I had the Mods delete so I can reopen my current one.

This is completely unacceptable, and I am so sorry that you had to deal with this. I am by no means apologizing for them, but apologizing because I felt as if I was jumping off a sinking ship back in February, and should of spoke up more about what I saw coming since I controlled their Social Media/Forum/Sales updates.

Being at NAMM with them last year was a real eye opener, and while I do like Scott and the other guys as people, this shit has been happening for awhile and is really freaking ridiculous at this point. :wallbash: :noplease:

8. ERGonomic

ERGonomic Banned

If I got that guitar for christmas, I would also think it wasn't so merry indeed. Call the CC and chargeback. .... those ....s.

9. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

Have you got pics you can share of these issues?

Edit for more dodgy stuff:

Left side of neck pocket
    [​IMG]

Terrible neck pocket and dodgy neck pickup route.
    [​IMG]

10. capoeiraesp

Hey Cody, any word from Acacia?

11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

12. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Damn that's a shame. I saw the Acacia build thread and a lot of their stuff looked really nice, they had a lot of really killer woods and the guitars looked great from the angles they were shot at. However if we've learned anything it seems like "Small company handing out endorsements to anyone who will play them" seems to be a sign that the company is trying to make up for pushing a shitty product.

13. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Mind elaborating? OF course it's reasonable if you just want to leave it at that, however I'm curious to know kind of where things started to go wrong?

14. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

I certainly hope you did not remove that thread. As great as it is that you (and the reaction here) got him to change his mind, it still happened and should be documented. Building one guy one really nice guitar in order to erase one really bad guitar doesn't mean he won't continue to make terrible instruments afterwards.

If this does happen to anyone, start a new thread or post a reply in your old thread and talk about the luthier/company and what they did to help fix the problem and patch things up with you. Don't erase the errors that they've made by deleting the thread with the bad experience.

Just my two cents...

Anyways, I'm really sorry this happened to (both of) you, this is completely unacceptable. If I don't have these issues on a $400 RG8, you shouldn't have these issues on a 1k-3k dollar guitar.

15. capoeiraesp

Just had a read through their terms and conditions. This paragraph below cracked me up.

"During the build, we photograph and publish the progress through various social media sites. We strongly advise our clients to follow these photos closely, as this is one way in which we guarantee perfection. Because even the smallest change can make a great instrument the perfect instrument, we welcome comments throughout the build."

16. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Goddamn. :lol:

17. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

duder that sucks hard, i'm so sorry for this happening to you

if it were me i'd get a full refund, or try, i don't know if that is even possible, and get an Ormsby or an ONI, because both are in your neck of the words or closer than acacia,

if i received some shite like that i'd really be tempted to burn it, or just try to get moneys back, that is so unacceptable it's ridiculous

:nono: is really nuff said

good luck! i hope they or ormsby do right by you

18. petervindel

petervindel SS.org Regular

I was planning on having them build me one of their 8-string Icemans in 2014, so I´m REALLY glad I read this first!

19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

It's uttery disappointing to see how many luthiers seem to be unable to build a custom instrument on par with a 3-4 times cheaper korean made one lately.This is essentially why I will always buy my guitars from well known companies,or in case from luthiers I personally know and trust.
    Damn,my schecter might not be made of exotic woods,and sure as hell is not super fancy or super exclusive,but the fretwork is impeccable and there are no finish flaws at all.

Worst thing is not only a Christmas ruined for the poor OP,but also tons of doubts towards other luthiers,even professional ones, that might come to everyones mind now

20. Altar

Altar SS.org Regular

I happen to be a 15 year old guitar tech... Let's hope Acacia doesn't ruin my reputation too.:lol: