NGD - A not so merry christmas - Acacia Romulus Multiscale 8 content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by codyblast, Dec 26, 2013.

1. KwameDude

KwameDude Well-Known Member

ahh man i saw this on FB book and thought it look so rad!
    sucks to see how poorly put together it is.

2. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

I really hate to see something like this! So sorry, man - I hope it gets set right! :yesway:

3. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Wow... that's a real shame, dude. You're right though - it looks great from a distance, but what is shown in the close-ups is flat-out inexcusable. I bought a $60 kids guitar from Aldi for my daughter and it has better fretwork than that.

THANK YOU for taking the time to post a thoughtful and detailed description and photographic evidence of the issues.

Lastly, Perry is good people and I hope you can post with another review of the guitar after he is done with it. It won't be an Ormsby custom, but I'd wager it will be definitely worth playing once he has worked his magic on it.

Sorry to hear you had such a shitty experience.

4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It is so disheartening to receive an instrument in that state even though you were kind of expecting it after all the negative feedback they started having. I just hope Perry can do something to salvage that mess of a guitar. By checking the back of the guitar it seems like a set neck because there seems to be a different configuration of woods between the neck and the body. The neck clearly seems to be a three piece neck while the part that would continue in the body for the neck trough is a five piece.

5. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Jesus. Are the Invictus guys working for Acacia now?

6. codyblast

codyblast 1

No worries guys.

I really feel what I paid for and expected is not even close to what I received, especially on the quality side of things.

This thread is nothing personal against Scott or Acacia. If the endorsing artists made a public statement about the lack of quality of their guitars when they got them, I wouldn't have gone with this company. I'm just trying to prevent other people from finding themselves in the same situation I am currently in. I know Tom and Andy both sold their guitars, Josh from Northlane said that the Structures tele's were 'firewood', and I've seen some pretty bad things from normal customers. Problem is, this all happened AFTER I had placed my order and put down my deposit.

The guitar is really quite good looking from a distance, unfortunately I want a musical instrument not an ornament. Perry, you are an absolute legend mate, I was unaware that you'd stopped repairs but thank you very much for this exception.

I need some help deciding exactly what to do here though; do I ask Acacia for a refund, if so is it reasonable for me to keep the guitar and get it fixed with my own money, or do I just get it fixed and cross my fingers that Acacia will foot the bill?

Obviously best case scenario for me is full refund (excluding shipping and import tax), and keep the guitar, but I'm not sure if thats morally right. I'd rather not return it because I think it is salvageable, but I'd also rather not pay for repairs out of my own pocket (which I'm probably going to do anyway), and resort to wishful thinking that Acacia will send me renumeration for the cost of repairs.

My main concern here is that either a/ Acacia really take a good look at themselves, somehow apologise and make good on every bit of bad quality they have ever given out to any customer, b/ if Acacia refuse to do so, that people have the knowledge of what to expect if they decide to spend money with this company.

7. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

I wanna say, thank you for the review. It's sad that this order turned out to be a turd, but it's awesome of you to have taken the time to inform people with pictures and all. I've seen so many companies get a good reputation on this site and then turn out to be nightmare stuff... it's good to point them out.

I feel really sorry for your christmas though :(

As for what you should do now, you said you already asked Acacia for a refund back when your build was still in the works. They didn't have money then so they won't have any now (given that everyone pretty much turned away from them). And even if they have it, they likely won't want to give you anything... I'd say still try to get a refund but I doubt that you'll get anything. And if they don't give you a refund, take it to Ormsby. I'd say that's the best plan.

8. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Sigh... I had hoped stuff might have got on the right track, but alas. Sorry to know of your predicament, man.

9. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

class :yesway:

10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I literally saw those pics and said outloud, "WHAT.... THE.... FUUUUUCK!!!???". So sad to see you have to go through this.

Rev.

11. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Damn... I feel for you... good luck getting the builder to man up and pay for cost of repair...

12. trayenshreds

trayenshreds sweep tapz brah

Dude I can't believe how terrible of a situation that is. Nobody ordering a custom shop guitar should have to deal with what you did. I don't know how you can remain so calm about the situation, I'm the type of guy who would be right on the phone with them 24/7 until they took the guitar back, gave me a full refund, or gave me a complete replacement of the product ordered. What were the sale terms of agreement on the guitar? Do you have your receipts.. a warranty... copies of your conversations? A copy of the quote initially stating your expected timeframe and payment? You could easily legally prove that they did not offer you the services quoted. Man, thats just so sucky. I'd really get on the phone and beat doors down at their shop until they MAKE this situation right for YOU (think Ari Gold in the show Entourage). They should know well enough that people will go and discuss these things on forums, and it will burn their reputation to the ground. I feel for you bro. Hope you can get this situation resolved man! :noplease:

13. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

this sucks - I hate seeing posts about janky builds/companies.

I would definitely contact them about a refund/reimbursement for the needed repairs. I would suggest doing so before you do anything to the guitar/pay out of pocket. If you make changes/adjustments, you might void any type of refund because the guitar is not as it was when you received it. I don't know this for a fact, but better safe than sorry in my opinion. I hope this gets panned out in your favor - good luck!

14. Negav

Negav SS.org Regular

You gotta give it to them though. If you squint your eyes hard enough it's perfect.
    /jk

But really man, can't you return it for your money? That is outrageous.

15. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

I think you'll have to make a judgement once Perry has assessed the condition of the guitar i.e. just how repairable it is and whether or not it will be a playable instrument with no dead frets etc.

16. shawnperolis

shawnperolis 7 String Indie Game Dev

Wow, that is horrible... It's hard to imagine dumping 4k into an instrument, waiting a year, and getting what basically amounts to a cheap Wal-Mart guitar. That sucks, I hope it all works out in the end.

17. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I feel for you, dude. I had a similar experience, although it was not as bad as this.

i hope you get your money back.

18. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Dude that sucks!!! :(

Classy :yesway::cool:

19. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

First of all, so sorry this ruined your christmas man, but I've said this before in one of these horror threads and I'll say it again.
    You paid good money, 3K +, expecting a top-of-the-line instrument, and you got a turd. No matter how much you polish a turd, it will always be a turd.
    If this is is the quality of work that went into the outside, imagine the quality of of the wood that is under the hood.
    Dunno, it's up to you ultimately, but if this were me I would fight tooth and nail for a full refund (inlcuding import and shipping fees which you have so easily already given up on).
    I'm always shocked by the fanboys on this forum and what they will put up with.
    Makes me want to set up a guitar company, give a few to the flavor-of-the-month bands to hold in a music video or photoshoot, hire a third-rate luthier, announce a black-friday sale, and sit back and count my money.

20. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

That's simply not acceptable.

Get the guitar inspected and get a quote for repairs, but don't do anything to the guitar at all. Contact Acacia and ask them to cover the full repair costs you have been quoted, and if they offer to "repair" the guitar themselves i would politely say no. If they don't agree to pay up you could consider a small claims court.

Also, (and i'm sure you've already done so) make sure you check the Acacia terms and conditions thoroughly before you do anything:

http://acaciaguitars.com/termsandconditions/

I had a similar experience with a luthier and he agreed to pay for all the setup work that was needed to make the guitar playable.