NGD - A not so merry christmas - Acacia Romulus Multiscale 8 content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by codyblast, Dec 26, 2013.

1. codyblast

codyblast 1

Its funny how stressful situations can just be absorbed into your daily life, and how the phrase "you don't know what you've got till its gone" can apply to negative situations and things as well.

I shipped the guitar last week, and have just received the remainder of the refund.

19 months since I put my deposit down, (11 months build and 8 months since recieving it) I no longer have that eye sore and am back to where I started financially, having every dollar I gave them, back. And the sense of relief is actually overwhelming.

I've thanked the guys at Acacia for FINALLY making things right, they said that the guitar was not at all up to their standard and obviously due to a bunch of pressure at the time it mustn't have gotten a full QC check before leaving. I find that hard to believe, as Scott himself built this guitar over the course of 11 months so he would've known EXACTLY how it was.

To their credit, they are owning up to their mistakes and want to clear any negativity from their name, so I hope anyone that may choose to do business with them in future has a far far better experience than I had.

2. codyblast

codyblast 1

Also, let this thread serve as an example to customers and a warning to businesses.

If you give out a bad product and bad service. We will talk. People will know. 30,000+ people viewed this thread, for a start up that is insanely bad press. I have met guitarists from other countries who have seen this thread before meeting me.

And for customers, if you get ripped off or a lemon, TELL! If someone had done what I did about their own instrument before I did, I would've had a far less stressful 2 years and not spent several thousand on a dud. And if I didn't do what I did, theres no guarantee that I would've been made whole again.

Supply and demand, folks. We are the demand, we have the power.

3. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

I find it weird when I see how many guitar builders try to get away with shoddy work. forums, facebook and other social media can create or destroy a reputation in the blink of an eye, information goes all around the world super fast and knowledge spreads. People WILL look for f-ups and they WILL find them. And once you're listed as "don't deal with this guy, he's a scam" it's very hard to get idea to disappear from people's minds.

They admitted that they messed up and paid you back, so that's already a good thing. But the problem here is that the guy who built it said it wasn't up to his standards, see, that's the lie here. People fear that if they publicly say "yeah, we done goofed" they'll be out of business forever, when really it's the best thing to do. Just say out loud that you're conscious of what you did wrong, that you're gonna try to start again from scratch, and then do it. If you're honest, people will give you a second chance but if you stay shady, people won't be as eager for that. Just don't mess up again because of the same thing...

Now if they had accepted to rebuild your guitar on their costs to repair their f-up, delivering you a good guitar would have given them some credit back. Now they'll have to wait until someone else takes the risk to give them money again to prove that they can work correctly.

Good end of the story on your side, that's already a positive thing :)

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Congrats. Glad that's over with for you, although I bet they've left a taste in your mouth you'll never forget.

Sticky this thread please.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Regarding it "not being up to our standards" I will say that, not knowing the first thing about the guys, I suspect it IS their standard. All these companies that say they are "turning things around" are all just BS. Not doing high quality work is a personality thing, not a business thing. Either you do perfect work or you don't. Think about people at work - there are those that constantly churn out high quality work, and those that don't. I don't care if it's writing software, building guitars or building a house. There are those that do quality work because at every step of the way they push for it and won't settle, and there are those that have lower standards. Have we EVER seen a company turn around from making crappy instruments to making stellar ones? I've been on this forum for 6 years and have not seen it once. The only way to do it is to replace the top people at the company, and in a luthierie business that means shutting the company down.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^One of the contributing problems I'm seeing on Facebook is people are constantly going around posting that "XXXX has stepped up their game and releasing awesome instruments now". Wether its people being paid to post positive things or they are just copying what another sheep said it means people still order in the belief they will get a good instrument.

I even saw someone say Strictly7 fired all their old staff and hired a whole new team of top luthiers to finish everyones guitars so everyone should order from them again. :scratch:

7. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

S7 didn't fire their old staff... they quit. That's neither here nor there though, Jim is making good on his promises to not leave paid customers high and dry and is making the progress of builds visible on the S7 facebook page. They had huge QC issues in the past but I think he's finally getting his shit together.

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Well one good thing came out of this ordeal, the OP is getting an Ormsby! Of course that could have happened with a lot less stress but nevertheless it's a very positive outcome!

9. Alberto7

Alberto7 Sillygoose Engineering

Out of all these horror stories that go around this site, it's very refreshing to finally have one with a happy ending. In my eyes, the guys at Acacia are still very risky people to get financially involved with, but the fact that this ordeal ended as it did does speak for them.

I am really happy for you, Cody, and those are some wise words you wrote there.

10. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

To be fair, even Halo is, by all accounts, putting out good guitars at this point.

That being said, I can see the beginnings of these issues in my guitar, which was from way before Acacia was having issues. Now, as I've said, my guitar is basic-I just wanted something that wasn't available otherwise-and there's nothing that makes it any less than a great guitar FOR ME. But, yeah, them saying that these problems were a case of not being up to their standards is a little questionable. I do hope they turn things around though.

11. Benjyy

Benjyy SS.org Regular

This sucks so much!