NGD - A not so merry christmas - Acacia Romulus Multiscale 8 content

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by codyblast, Dec 26, 2013.

1. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Like I said; their lawyers contacted this site's admin team and I got a PM warning me to just drop it and the thread had to be deleted. Like I said - the thread was on fire.

This company has been fighting fire all over the net from people they ripped off - the thread was toward the top of Google's search results so I'm sure they felt they had to take action. Thankfully I posted enough places that it still at the top of most search results, especially if you add "rip off" into the search terms. So they are not new to C&D letters on forums and whatnot. Of course, I wish I would have known before I spent my money with them...

I'm not sure what your question about my join date refers to - can you elaborate? I see you've got a few likes for that post and I don't understand what I'm missing. I'm not being facetious, I honestly don't know what you're getting at. You literally can't type the name of the company on this page any more. Or maybe it's just me: I don't know if they can ban certain words/terms from select users. I tried to tell a guy in a PM who it was and it got edited. Just email my username at gmail dot com for details if you want the full scoop.

But please do explain what about my join date you're getting at. I don't quite understand if you're calling 'shenanigans' on my statement or what, but I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding - we're all friends here :hbang:

Edit: no this is my first and only account. I did get banned for a week one time for mentioning the word "djent" lol. That was weird.

Here's a link to the doc that has the whole thread archived - should be public so anyone and their tech-savvy grandmas should be able to access it - WARNING it's 49 pages long.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByjUybrVsKgMMWZsckZKTWhpXzA/edit?usp=sharing

OP - I didn't mean to hijack your thread; I just don't want you getting in trouble here or otherwise. Some of these companies are vicious with litigation, but it seems I just happened to pick the worst to mess with.

2. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

I just reread OP's description on the whole debacle, and I noticed you changed A LOT of specs on the guitar while it was being built. I don't know about you, but if I was a luthier and a customer constantly changing things on their guitar mid-build, to be blunt, shit would be everywhere. And then after all the changes they did for you and you decide to ask for a refund, I wouldn't see an unjustifiable answer being that you can't receive a refund because of how far in the build you were. I'm not trying to defend them in any sort of way, but I'm just bringing it to the table.

decreebass likes this.
  3. abandonist

abandonist Banned

That link was the weirdest hissy fit I've ever seen.

4. asher

asher So Did We

TIL: apparently we have more than one product-name word filter on this site. I thought you were talking about a different person/product which has been filtered... which was finishing up when I joined in 2010. Hence my confusion about the join date - there's no way you could have started that with your first and only account joining last year. My apologies. I do remember the thread in question.

Aside from your example and possibly what I'm thinking of (I don't remember why the filter happened there), everything else stands and the mods are pretty good about defending open discussion. But if somebody threatens legal action to the site and the admin has to drop it or pay legal fees... >.>

5. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

Yea. I was a little miffed that they removed what I felt was a valuable thread, but I completely understand their reasoning. I didn't fight it or whine. That said, of course, a C&D is by no means anywhere close to a lawsuit; it's really just a scare tactic that worked; especially since *ahem* (said company) participated in the thread. They would have had no legal legs to stand on.

@abaondonist - "wall of text"? No need to be rude, man - I apologize if my posts are a bit more substantial than some - sometimes more information needs to be conveyed - especially about important things like litigation against one of my favorite websites (SSO, if that wasn't clear). I was just trying to help the community out. I think if you read the whole thing then you would see it as more than a mere "hissy fit." I will concede (and I do state my own faults in the post) that I wasn't entirely rational in my actions AFTER THE FACT once the situation was hopeless, but that doesn't change the rip-off. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Sorry for this wall of text :)

TL;DR: blah blah blah

6. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

I just want to add, I never saw that thread decreebass is talking about until he posted the text version of it just now. It is a long read, but worth it. It's good to know from a first-hand account about any company that has shifty policies, and will argue with you on a message board..

I just did a google search of the company + "ripoff" and the first mention of this review is 8 results down, at a different message board, but it's still there. I actually wonder if the company has actually learned anything since last year, or have lost a significant amount of business.

7. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

I think last I checked (quite some time ago) they had changed some of the deceptive wording. It's a small victory; but the customer should know what they're ACTUALLY getting - not some hyped-up fantastical panacea version that the company wants the customer to believe they are getting.:nono: And it's actually the first result - someone resurrected a similar thread over at Harmony Central. I also posted this on the CarvinBBS. ANYWAY... This will be the last I mention of this. PM me or email me if you want to know more or have any questions. Again, OP sorry to hijack your thread. I Promise I'm done :)

Cody! Any word yet? Is this company gonna make it right for you?

8. codyblast

codyblast 1

Well, I would agree, aside from that the most basic specs ie:
    Construction, lack of inlays, finish, woods, etc were always the same.
    I always wanted a single coil in the neck, but they just never did that.
    They put on the wrong top (flame instead of quilt) having to restart the guitar because of this (I would've been fine with quilt had I known it was already glued on, the progress pictures look as though they had just placed it on for a 'use your imagination' of the finished guitar)
    The only changes I made (not as a response to their incompetence) that weren't on the original concept, were the brand of machine heads, and the brand of humbucker. This was before it was even all glued together.
    Further changes made after they screwed up:
    Masked 'binding' instead of actual binding (they didn't do any)
    Aforementioned top wood debacle
    Luminlay inlays ended up being normal (no communication on this, didn't find out until I opened the case)

The vast majority of the changes to the original build was me attempting to get something that slightly resembled what I wanted and ordered after numerous errors and bad communication on their part. The email chain got large and out of hand simply because they wouldn't reply addressing my points and would send progress shots too far apart for me to catch any big errors before I had a chance to. Anyway, the specs aren't the issue. This is hardly a 'high specced' guitar. It's the overall lack of QUALITY or PLAYABILITY that is the issue. Guitars are made to be played. Can't play it? It's firewood. Refund.

UPDATE:
    Communication is still pretty bad, but I've received 50% of my refund. I'm waiting on shipping info so I can return the guitar, to then recieve the second half of my refund. The horrible lack of clear communication is making me very hesitant to send before receiving full refund, but we'll see what happens when they decide to reply to me on the next blue moon.

I've bought an RG8, I'm going strip it and mod it to relieve some guitar related stress and to tie me over until I figure out who is WORTH the money I'll be spending to eventually actually get the bloody guitar I want.

9. dametalbeast

dametalbeast dametalbeast

So first off I just want to give an extreme sincere apology to anyone that I might have offered this guitar to (Acacia Romulus 7). at the time of offering I was not aware of the functional flaws but would've eventually found out as I set up all my guitars before shipping. as for aesthetic flaws none of the offers got past the initial offer into detail. I had bought the guitar from the original owner without him telling me that it was 26.5" scale so I was quick to sell/trade it as I'm not comfortable with that scale length. After a couple weeks of it just sitting around in the case I decided to set it up. As I was setting it up I noticed the truss rod wasn't giving much of any movement and it had multiple dead frets. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and took it to a luthier in a nearby shop for initially just some fret leveling. He later confirmed that the truss rod was faulty and unusable. I then took it to another luthier the same day, left it with him for a day and he re-confirmed (I was in denial that the guitar I bought was ....ed hence why I took it to two luthiers) and also found other issues. this is the official statement from him "Hello, After evaluating the above mentioned guitar, I've found it to be defective in its manufacturing. The truss rod does not move the neck at all leaving the neck to be severely bowed with way too much relief. The neck pocket of the instrument also is too deep making the action height way higher than a normal spec, even with the bridge saddles on the Kahler lowered as much as they can be. Sometimes a thin shim can be installed into the neck pocket to "boost" the neck up higher. Unfortunately, even a shim with an above-average thickness still doesn't get the neck anywhere near where it should be. So the combination of the neck pocket and worthless truss rod leave this guitar in a horrible playing state. I would contact the manufacturer about a replacement instrument or contact the seller you purchased it from. I've attached a few pictures showing the high string-height and also the thick shim in the neck pocket which wasn't thick enough with the high action." That was an assessment he did so I could show the seller I bought it from. He doesn't mention how he also had to adjust the nut because it actually had a shim underneath the nut because it was probably miscalculated and placed too low on the neck. after getting it home I pretty much did an autopsy on it and found a couple more aesthetic flaws. a crack on the fretboard, a piece of the headstock had been chipped off then glued back on. the guitar also has the gap in the neck pocket like some of the others shown in here, about 1ml. the multiple minor sanding/building flaws didn't affect playability but just proved the horrible QC. even though I'm not the original owner I felt that this needed to be said based on my experience, to show that this is not a company to give your money to. hopefully they've stepped it up. I don't think the person who sold me it knew (he said he never messed with the truss and the exact set up came from Acacia), more trouble than its worth (unless he though that I wouldn't find out or say shit?) but he's already refunded me. Hopefully he has some luck in getting this solved, as of now Acacia still haven't contacted me or the original owner back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

capoeiraesp likes this.
  10. dametalbeast

also sorry to hear about that man, shitty situation I really hope they give you a full refund and quickly. I can't even understand how they let product out like that, do they just hope people won't say anything or....?

11. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

If you haven't already, you may want to try turning the truss rod in the opposite direction. Whatever type of rod they used in mine had action that was the opposite of the usual.

12. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

^i get that you have Acacia in your banner but c'mon man, it's been taken to two techs. You're adding insult to injury.

13. Ben.Last

Dude. I'm not an endorsee or anything and I don't work for the company. I've had one for over a year now (which was around when I made up my banner, because it's been my main guitar), mine was fine, and I've been in this thread the entire time offering advice in relation to the crap they're apparently putting out now, since I dealt with them in the building of my own. Is it unreasonable to think that it's possible that neither tech thought to turn the truss rod backward??? I just figured I'd offer it up as a possibility before he sticks the thing in his fireplace.

14. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

Honestly, I don't believe two techs would miss such a thing because the first thing they would've done is checked and tested the truss-rod for any functionality at all. I get that you're trying to help but the truss-rod is only one part of several glaring issues.

15. Ben.Last

If the neck is completely bowed, and the truss rod isn't moving, I don't think it's impossible that they didn't think to turn it waaaaay back the other way (which would have been what it would have taken to realize it's backward at that point).

And, yes, I realize that there are other reasons his guitar is a mess. Just one of the many examples that are the reason that I haven't ordered another guitar from them. But, if it's a simple answer that happened to be missed, then that's one step in the right direction for him to get the thing playable. And, regardless of all that, I simply offered it as one simple thing to try, just in case.

16. DeathChord

DeathChord FTW

I have read way to many horror stories about this company and have see the pictures as proof. It bothers me greatly to see fellow musicians get taken advantage like this.

If I were to act out on what I think of such people, I'd be in a cell drawing pictures of guitars I'd never have chance to play. I truly hope you get taken care of on this deal and remember, what comes around will go around.

17. dametalbeast

that was the first thing I did man, didn't give

18. codyblast

codyblast 1

Hey guys, update:

Nothing. I recieved a partial refund after almost daily nagging on my part, since then I have been told I will either receive prepaid return shipping advice, or the cost of shipping with the rest of the refund, and neither has happened. I emailed them a couple weeks ago saying I'm giving up. It's been a massively stressful ordeal that has lasted years, and I'm not interested in taking it any further so I have them notice that if they don't complete the refund or provide shipping details (how am I supposed to return the guitar without a return address) that I'll be putting this up for basically a giveaway 'sale' to try and recoup at least something. So yeah. That's there if they decide to check their emails. Acacia have pretty much completely ignored me as an unhappy (ripped off) customer and continue to do so, so if the situation hasn't changed then someone's gonna have a nice fixer-upper for dirt cheap.

19. TraE

TraE SS.org Regular

Just stumbled upon this thread today. Things like these always blow my mind. You would think smaller companies would be brown-nosing the shit out of customers so they would tell all their friends and fellow forum denizens that they need to save up for said companies awesome guitars. Clearly the guitars in this case are far from awesome, and their customer service is on par with their build quality. I hope Acacia never sells another guitar again, what a shit company.

20. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

....ing shit man that's horrible, I remember when this post was new, and still nothing??? That's horseshit and I'm sorry they're treating you this way. I hope anyone who googles this company finds this thread and thinks twice about ordering a guitar from them. More than that, I hope they get busted for some shady illegal shit like tax evasion or something..karma, ya know?