NGD: A new Quest with a quick conclusion

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Copying this over from the 2022 Ibanez thread as a advisory to others that may be interested in these.

So this Ibanez QX54 just arrived this morning and.... *deep sigh*.

TLDR, shit wiring.

quest_01.jpg

First the good. Love the shape, weight and especially the balance. Very comfy standing and probably one of the most comfortable and well-balanced guitars I've ever tried for classical position while sitting.

As for the slanted frets, they're really interesting and I'd be curious how'd they feel playing long term but honestly, I could take them or leave them. It's different but not really game changing and, imo, for every spot on the fretboard that benefits in feel somewhere else feels to suffer. You can tell the guitar is trying to achieve ~something~ but it also highlights why the neutrality of straight frets is the standard.

But the frets themselves are the end of good impressions. The sides were fine but the top of frets while playing were noticeably rough which was disappointing considering how much the gold evo material was hyped up. I really don't care for the debate between standard frets and stainless frets but these felt like the rough as frets you come across on shop guitars that have sat on the well for months and nothing like even the worst of stainless steel I've touched. You can really tell these probably sat for months waiting to be shipped.

But whatever, I can polish some frets and like I said, the shape and balance was so good I was willing to go with it. So I plug in the guitar and immediately hit with buzzing despite being on the bridge pickup so I figure I'm switched on some kind of single coil mode. I toggle through the settings for a bit and it doesn't go away and I even pull up the Ibanez website to make sure I was doing the right thing at which point I say out loud, "what is wrong with you" and tap the bridge pickup with my finger and am hit with an even louder *bzzzt*.

Okay, time to pop this open and see if there's a loose ground or some other wire and what I find is even worse. Nothing obviously loose but overall an absolute horror show of poor soldering which could have a point of failure anywhere in the complete salad of wires necessary for the fancy wiring setup.

Likely the source of the buzzing. This poor ground wire holding on for dear life and also not trimmed or positioned in a sensible way at all.

quest_02.jpg

But wait, there's more (just within eye shot)...

20220629_00_guitar_0022.jpg

And even more. Not even an attempt to wire this up securely.

quest_03.jpg

Not going to show every soldering point but even the best of what was going on looked amateur. I didn't even venture to all the wiring for the 'alter switch' system which I wouldn't be surprised also had major issues. The bridge pickup did sound off and the switch didn't seem to do much but it's sort of a moot point.

I wouldn't even expect this kind of low attention to detail from a guitar half this price. And having just received a Schecter recently that I literally can't find a fault with, this is just embarrassing.

Needless to say, it's going right back and an extra bummer because it really sours me to Ibanez. I love my Genesis and really liked what this guitar had to offer but the premium on them is absurd for what's very much Ibanez standard line import quality.

@MaxOfMetal was of course correct about the pitfalls about the first gen of new Ibanez guitars...

Last edited:

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's said above . Disappointing on a new guitar for sure , but it isn't a total dud yet . I'm sure you can manage to make it posh again , sounds like you know what you're doing with maintenance .

I know Ibanez is really trying to push these especially with Ichika on board and having a signature version , so I highly doubt they'd try and flub this series . Have you reached about regarding the electronics ? I feel like that would be thr biggest fix , adding some solder wouldn't be hard but then you're at risk of messing other stuff up if you're not using a very small and directed torch .

This sounds silly but there's an old wives tale about taking a heat gun to soldered wires , and the heat from that manages to get the solder to manipulate itself better and making connections work without needing to add anymore . It's worked on my buddies AC panel actually , but again it's not a reliable method haha

Edit : Just saw you are sending it back , totally justified and a lot less of a hassle for sure . Will you get the same model ?

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unrelated to your problems with it, but I wish the blue quilt model didn't have a pickguard

I'm really considering getting the laser blue HH model as a travel guitar

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm comfortable soldering but the alter switch controller adds a lot of connections and I didn't feel like rewiring the whole thing and, worst case scenario, roast/break something proprietary. And overall just the principle of having to do major work on an $1100 dollar guitar. Also I've heard chatter about the string lock snapping high e strings and I didn't feel like waiting around to see if that'd be yet another issue.

I liked the shape so much I was really tempted to roll the dice again but meh. I'll wait until the next gen and even be open to a prestige tier for this model but I don't have an interest in rolling the dice on Indo wiring anytime in the near future. I just need Schecter to release a headless lol.

Also, I spotted a used Ichi on Sweetwater the other day. It's already been snapped up but it makes me think that overall quality issues may not be a one-off, even on the signature model.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unrelated to your problems with it, but I wish the blue quilt model didn't have a pickguard

I'm really considering getting the laser blue HH model as a travel guitar
If you've got a tech you trust or you're really handy with a soldering iron than maybe because the thing was really damn comfy and comes with a bag to make it perfect for travelling. But whether that convenience is worth a guitar priced about double its quality is a tough ask.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The slanted frets are such a massive gimmick. Rickenbacker tried them in the 60s/70s and it didn't seem to be beneficial enough to stick with.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The slanted frets are such a massive gimmick. Rickenbacker tried them in the 60s/70s and it didn't seem to be beneficial enough to stick with.
Wanted to give them a shot and was looking forward to see how they felt over time but yeah. I felt like there wasn't of an advantage to them that made the slight adjustment muscle memory needed. Was totally willing to give them more but honestly I think people's initial reaction when these launched about the fan looking awkward and making less sense than a true multiscale fan is how it felt to me.
Just get an nk 6 string and be done with it.
I mean, I understand what you're saying but my goal wasn't to buy a cheap guitar. If I was looking for a good option, I'd just get an Agile and still have a real return policy. The hope of spending the extra money from a bigger brand is polish and quality. But *womp womp* this is how it goes sometimes.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wanted to give them a shot and was looking forward to see how they felt over time but yeah. I felt like there wasn't of an advantage to them that made the slight adjustment muscle memory needed. Was totally willing to give them more but honestly I think people's initial reaction when these launched about the fan looking awkward and making less sense than a true multiscale fan is how it felt to me.

I mean, I understand what you're saying but my goal wasn't to buy a cheap guitar. If I was looking for a good option, I'd just get an Agile and still have a real return policy. The hope of spending the extra money from a bigger brand is polish and quality. But *womp womp* this is how it goes sometimes.

The nk is every bit as good as my expensive guitars. Honestly it’s that good.

I’d have bought five more but I fell down a vaping rabbit hole and spent 3 grand on vapes.

But literally I would have bought 5 more nk’s.

SexHaver420

🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
Reaction score
My friend has one of those guitars and it's kick ass (headless guitars are the lamest shit ever and make you look like a dick unless you're like Paul Masvidal or something tho). It's way comfier to play than his prestige and plays nearly as good. The wiring in his actually worked properly from the factory too. I like them.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
congrats, that wiring looks horrible hope it's an easy fix