NGD: $80 Ibanez AX7221

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by AlexThorpe, Jul 16, 2016.

1. AlexThorpe

AlexThorpe SS.org Regular

Picked this up off my local Craigslist today for $80! It's an earlier made in Korea model, in pretty decent condition aesthetics wise surprisingly.

I got it home and plugged it in, and it seems like the switch for the pickups is broken. It's stuck on Bridge pickup which isn't the worst thing ever. It plays actually extremely well. The electronics are kind of noisy so I was thinking of redoing them and throwing some new pickups in.

Would anyone have any suggestions to as what I should put in? I don't want to shell out the cash for anything super fancy, and I tend to like Dimarzios but I'm not familiar with the 7 string offerings. I like a really good clean tone from the neck, and a clear bridge that's not super hot, and gets good results with running Neck+Bridge. Also probably a bit brighter being that this guitar is shorter scale length. I was sort of thinking a Blaze 7 and Air norton 7 would work well?

I was also going to change up the electronics to master volume and tone, and fill the other two slots with 3 way switches for single, parallel and series switching.

Has anyone ever put a hipshot on one of these?

(I know I'm probably throwing money away on a cheap guitar, but this keeps me from buying a prestige or other similarly priced guitar and I have a great fondness for tinkering)

Attached Files:

2. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

Nice score! I just sold one of these after having it for something like 3 years, they definitely bring the bang for your buck. I put ionizers in mine, and they sounded great, really punchy and articulate, big chords sounded amazing. might be worth a shot!

3. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm not sure these are short scale or just 22 frets with 25.5 inch scale length. Nice score there. These are excellent mod structures and very cool.

4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Just remember. Cheap doesn't mean bad always. Thats a great score IMO.

5. AlexThorpe

AlexThorpe SS.org Regular

Thanks! I'm halfway through doing some mods to it (Hipshot locking tuners, Hipshot saddles, Dimarzio Paf 7's with a full rewire) but I traded one of my basses for an Ibanez S520 WNF MIJ and that's been getting most of my free time lately. Hoping to wrap it up next weekend and set it up.

6. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

Wow, I remember those things. They were part of the initial wave of Ibanez 7 strings first becoming popular.

7. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

That's not a bad guitar, it's no AX7521, but I'm sure with a pickup change, it can sound awesome, scale length is not an issue with appropriate strings, I had no issue tuning to ADGFAD.

If you really want to keep it, consider upgrading the pickups, electronics, nut, tuners and bridge saddles.

8. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Slick buy, dude! I'm a little jealous. Dimarzios are my thing, too. I'd recommend for something not too hot, either a Blaze set, or my personal fave setup, PAF 7 at the neck, and a D Activator neck in the bridge position. Tried it after a talk with tech support, and it rocks.