NGD: 2020 LTD JR-608 Javier Reyes Signature

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by secretpizza, Oct 2, 2020.

1. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

Hey all,

It's been a weirdly busy year and I've missed several NGD posts, so here's the first of probably several in the next few days. Pics first!
    IMG_3643.jpg IMG_3644.jpg IMG_3645.jpg IMG_3646.jpg IMG_3647.jpg IMG_3648.jpg

This is a guitar I've been looking at for quite a while. I'm a big fan of Javier Reyes' playing style, but 1) I don't have a ton of experience with ESP/LTD guitars, and 2) there's really not a lot of review information out there for this guitar or for the Fishman Javier signature pickups; there's also a good bit of variability in quality of the quilt tops that I've seen. This one popped up on Sweetwater and I decided to give it a shot because their return policy is pretty solid.

The short review is that I'm very, very happy I gave this a try. First off is the build quality - I'm pretty damn impressed with the fit and finish on this guitar. I tried to take pretty thorough pictures, but there are really no flaws whatsoever. The binding, fretwork, paint transitions - everything is just super, super clean. The frets feel incredible, no toolmarks anywhere on the board, and the ends are really well dressed. I know this is higher end for LTD, but I really wasn't expecting it to be put together so incredibly well.

The feel is equally killer - the fretboard is a little rounder than I'm used to for an ERG (14") but the neck carve is so comfortable, I don't hardly notice it. Tuning keys are nice and tight and work great, and Hipshot bridge is solid as always. One of the things I like most is how well balanced it is - the body of the guitar is understandably quite big, but the Mystique shape headstock really balances it out great.

Another big win for me - and the aspect of the guitar I was most curious about - is the JR signature Fishman pickups. If you've played the Moderns and thought that Fishmans aren't for you, the JRs honestly might change your mind. I've owned and currently own guitars with the Tosin signature pickups, and while I really like those pickups, the voice 1 active tone for the bridge pickup is way too hot for me - it consistently gives you that clicky EMG high gain sound which I can't get along with.

The JR pickups, in my opinion, completely fix that problem because they're totally passive-voice focused. Voice 1 and 2 on the bridge are essentially an EQ shift; voice 1 has more high end, but is really nice, thick, and crunchy, and voice 2 has more of a low mid presence with the higher end rolled off a bit. Both sound incredible, and I could legitimately see using both for different purposes through the same amp tone. The neck pickup tones are great as well, really sweet voice 1 tone and a really nice jazzbox style tone on voice 2. The 2 and 4 tones sound great as well - the 2 position has less of the outrageously out-of-phase Polyphia type split tone, but still lots of spankiness and clarity. As you'd imagine, they work really well for thumping.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with this guitar - it's got a ton of specs that are hard to find all in one guitar, and the JR pickups are just awesome. If you're thinking of trying one out, I'd highly recommend it.

2. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

These are so under rated. And props to ESP for ditching the over hyped plastic bridge and crappy finish for a Hipshot and clear that would show off the neck thru woods.

Happy kick ass new guitar day!!!

secretpizza likes this.
  3. secretpizza

Thanks man! That’s how I’m feeling too - it’s an absolute steal when you consider other options of this quality in the 8 string market. I’m pretty in love with it.

4. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Killer NGD.

secretpizza likes this.
  5. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Congrats man !! I got mine (2015 model) a month ago and can't be more happy with it. Its a really impressive, nice built, beautiful and high performance Guitar.

Happy NGD !!!

secretpizza likes this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Very nice! Been seeing them on reverb quite a bit. Congrats!

secretpizza likes this.
  7. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

Very nice! Happy NGD!

Is the neck oil finished?

secretpizza likes this.
  8. secretpizza

You know, I’m not sure really. It’s satin finished and really smooth though!

9. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Looks like a jewel ! Congrats man :)

secretpizza likes this.