NGD: 2019 Gibson SG Standard Pelham Blue

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by kevdes93, Mar 11, 2019.

1. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Just got this guy in yesterday! Ive been falling out of love with my Naked SG with p90s so i thought id try a higher tier Gibson; i couldn't be happier with my decision. My main issues with the naked SG were tuning stability, sharp fret ends (probably because of a cold northeast winter) and the neck size. The guitar as a whole seemed very unstable; almost any movements while holding it and the pitch would be all over the place, and the neck was extremely narrow, it was like trying to play guitar on a broomhandle and it was starting to bother me as im 6'4 with giant oven mitt hands.

The Standard is 100x the guitar the naked model was. A little heavier, perfect fretjob, a nice wide neck that fits my hand very well, good sounding pickups (it came with 61s, not sure how they compare to gibsons other pickups but im happy with them), a beautiful piece of rosewood for the fretboard, rock solid tuning stability, no pitch changes from gentle movements like the naked, and its the best color Gibson has ever done in my opinion.

I got it from zzounds and typically anything i get from them needs a full setup on arrival but not this, oddly enough the setup was perfect out of the box. I set it up for my usual C standard anyway but i was happy to get excellent playability out of the box. Not much else to say, its a stellar instrument that will serve me well for years to come.

Picture time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a bonus pic of the naked SG that the Standard is replacing
    [​IMG]

2. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

That color is incredible. HNGD!

Discoqueen and kevdes93 like this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

looks real sexy, congrats!

kevdes93 likes this.
  4. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Great color! Happy NGD! Every Gibson I have bought has been well set up; my 1999 Les Paul Special, My 2008 SG Robot, and my 2016 Les Paul Standard. I know Gibson gets a bad wrap but they have been above average in my experience.

The fret access on an SG is hard to beat.

kevdes93 likes this.
  5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

Nice color for sure! Congrats and HNGD

kevdes93 likes this.
  6. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Nice score, love the color:agreed: Definitely looks like a keeper!

kevdes93 likes this.
  7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I have a soft spot for SGs in general, but a bit of a hard on for that pelham blue one. Looks absolutely killer, congrats!

kevdes93 likes this.
  8. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

Nice color! HNGD!!!

kevdes93 likes this.
  9. gunch

gunch chungus

Sad to hear about your Naked SG I was about to get one from zzsounds too when I was like "AAAAAAHM GONNA FINANCE AN EXPENSIVE GEETAR"

HNGD though!!

kevdes93 likes this.
  10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Great color for sure, congrats!

kevdes93 likes this.
  11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Honestly, both of them are sexy as hell. I wouldn't ditch the P90 one.

kevdes93 likes this.
  12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I don't like fretboard binding and I do like an SG with no pickguard, plus that dark fingerboard... man, I really like that naked SG. I would get it a fret end job and drop on a tp-6 fine tuner tailpiece... the narrow nut kinda worries me though. One of the things I like about an SG is that it's a little wide. I didn't realize there were varying nut widths for different SGs.

But I've never had a p90 guitar. And even though Iommi's tone was really cool for 1970... I don't know of ANY p90 metal bands in the year 2019... and even though I sometimes like to imagine myself playing some cool clean parts, the fact of the matter is I almost never play clean. Or, maybe, if I had a naked SG, I would become inspired to play clean?

I play an Edwards SG, and it also will easily let you bend the pitch simply by wiggling the guitar around. I even came up with a riff once where I push the neck forward and give it a half step "dive", though I'm sure it would be dangerous to do that too aggressively. But I had believed this was an inherent quality of the construction of an SG. But your Standard doesn't have that?

You figure they're doing the set necks different on higher end models?

13. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

not sure whats different about it but its definitely more stable than the naked sg. There can still be some pitch movement with the standard but its much less touchy than the naked

vilk likes this.