NGD: 2016 Jackson Pro Rhoads RR3

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by rexbinary, Apr 12, 2016.

1. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I used to own an '80s RR1 that I had to sell, and I have been looking for something not quite as expensive to replace it ever since. I pre-ordered this guitar as soon as it was announced back in January, and it arrived today!

[​IMG]

While it arrived today a true replacement for my baby has been a long time coming, and I think it's finally here. I can't find anything I don't like about it yet. It has the looks of Randy's first prototype, but doesn't look as dated. I like the oiled neck better than the finished neck my old RR1 had, and it feels faster. It has the same excellent upper fret access. The bridge pickup is just as awesome as I remember, but I'm still getting used to the '59 in the neck. So far it seems the action and intonation are good. I think this guitar just kicked my other six stringers to the curb. :bowdown:

Oh and best news of all: NO SHARP FRETS :yesway:

Big Dave, ferret, NicePants and 12 others like this.
  2. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs. Pinch Harmonics. Pick Scrapes. Dive Bombs.

Congrats man!

3. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

congrats I love any RR guitar they look so cool

4. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

Congrats- this thread has me seriously gassing for one of these lol

5. Dodeejeroo

Dodeejeroo SS.org Regular

Awesome, the only V guitar I lust for is an RR.

6. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Congratulations on the NGD! That's a really sweet Rhoads, man. Seeing this makes me realize how bad I want another Rhoads.

7. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

congrats...looks great.

i too had an rr1 and sold it, but i did keep my jackson mustaine sig king v, which to me felt a lot better.

is this neck thur like the rr1?

8. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

AFAIK RR3s are bolt on.

9. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

It's a set neck. I think the RR1's are the only ones that are neck thru.

10. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

All the X series and Pro series RR's are neck through. The older MIJ RR3 was a bolt on. And nice guitar by the way! I want a black RRT to match my Ivory MIJ RR5.

11. zakkylee

zakkylee Member

Is it really? Jackson's website claims that it's "1-Piece Maple Neck-Through-Body with Graphite Reinforcement and Scarf Joint".

Also how does the neck feel? Have you played any of Jackson's "speed necks"? I really want to try one but the guitar center near me only carries .... guitars.

12. NicePants

NicePants ok

I was actually looking at one of these before I settled on getting the Washburn, but I was looking at the T version without the trem. Cool guitar dude.

13. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

I'd love to know more about the RRT-5 (or RRT-3) in general, but specifically the black 5 (the 3 is just for reference... I think the only difference is the paint:

Jackson Pro Series Rhoads RRT-5 - Gloss Black | Sweetwater.com
    Jackson Pro Series Rhoads RRT-3 - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes | Sweetwater.com

I'm a Charvel guy through and through and have pondered a Demartini Snake, but this one is calling out to me... the oiled neck sounds badass, and I don't care for a trem (I have one on a Charvel)...

Anyone find anything bad with one of the RRT-5 or RRT-3? Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

(and if anyone has one they'd trade for some stuff, let me know!!)

14. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Ah nice that specs page must have just become available as it wasn't on Jackson's website before. I pre-ordered it at Sweetwater and their spec page still shows a set neck.

The only other Jackson I have played was an RR1 with a finished neck, and I like this oiled neck better. The finished neck was sticky to me. The profiles of the necks feel the same.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/serie...bony-fingerboard-ivory-with-black-pinstripes/

15. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I just noticed this guitar came with a set of Dunlop Strap Locks. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

16. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Sorry to bump, but I wanted to post a note that I ordered the Jackson hardshell case for this guitar and it would not fit. It was the exact case as specified by Jackson I should use with my guitar. (Jackson 299-6101-506 V Series Guitar Case) I called Jackson. Fender answered since they own Jackson now. They proceeded to tell me that it did indeed fit and that I wasn't putting it in right. [​IMG]

Their definition of fit seems to be quite different than mine. If you put the one wing in first and then force it in, and I do mean cram it in there, it will "fit". The top of your neck will be wedged so tight inside the top of the case that the point of the headstock smashes the padding.

So I returned that case. After a great amount of searching I found that the 300-VX Coffin Case will fit it just fine. Just posting this in hopes it will save someone some trouble.

[​IMG]

17. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Weird that the official case won't fit. Is the RR3 a slightly different size than a USA RR1 or something? I have a custom RR (not made by Jackson, but using a Jackson template for an RR1), and it fits in the official V case just fine. None of the tightness you described.

I will say that you should find a different case though, that Coffin one is definitely a disaster waiting to happen. It's putting the whole weight of the guitar on the upper wing and doesn't give any support to the "crotch" just under the bridge, which is a much safer place to support the guitar. A good case should cushion the guitar inside, not transfer the blows the case is receiving to the instrument (and in this case, transfer the blows to a rather skinny and fragile part of the guitar). Here, you'd ideally want to support the body near that crotch area and just let the wings "hang" so they aren't load bearing.

That's why really good strat-style cases leave indentations in the bottom for the strap button on the lower bout--resting the entire weight of the guitar on the strap button (a single, skinny point) is a bad idea, but distributing it over the broader bottom of the guitar is a lot smarter, especially if you use a material that cushions the guitar nicely.

I don't want to outright say that you'll damage the guitar if you use that case because it depends on how you use it (heavy road use is a lot different from just using the case to store the guitar in your home or take it to your buddy's place to jam once a month), but I'd definitely never ship your guitar like that. Nor would I really trust it to withstand any sort of accidental abuse, such as someone setting it down too hard on it's bottom. And at a certain point you have to ask yourself what a case is for if you can't trust it to adequately protect the guitar. I mean, with all due respect this basically looks like it'd provide the same protection as a rectangular wooden box lined with felt. It's not at all designed to distribute the weight of the guitar inside to ensure it doesn't get damaged, it just provides a large open area that offers universal compatibility with most weird shaped guitars, and maybe a bit of cushioning that honestly only offers peace of mind, not actual protection.

Maybe reorder the jackson hardshell and cut some of the foam away until you're satisfied with the fit? Might not be ideal, but it's still be a lot better than this coffin case.

18. 13la13la

13la13la Amateur Idiot Contributor

I've had the same problem with SKB cases that were designed for kelly/warrior guitars.. They just don't seem to fit, very frustrating!

19. Big Dave

Big Dave Methestaphelese Jr.

Nice, I like how its got the vintage look but modern features..congrats!

20. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

You can't cut away enough of the foam in the Jackson case for it to fit without touching the guitar touching plastic. The long tail is a half inch or less from the plastic already. I don't know why it doesn't fit, but if you Google around you'll find I'm not the only one that has had this problem with the Jackson V case. I won't be transporting the guitar farther than around town so the coffin case should be fine for that.

That said, of course I'd love to have a better fitting case. If you or anyone finds one please point me that way. I looked at custom flight cases but they were very pricey.