NGD! 2003 Fernandes Ravelle

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by RLG167, Feb 13, 2016.

1. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Just found this interesting little gem at the local store. It's a 2003 Fernandes Ravelle. What immediately caught my attention about it were the shape (like a LP mixed with an Iceman), and the pickguard (which is why the guy at the store called it the Swiss cheese guitar, lol). From what I understand, 2003 was the first year this model was introduced, and 13 years later it's still in great shape ;) . And to top it all off, it came with a molded case! :D Just got it home and restrung it with D'Addario NYXL 10-52's, and dropped to Open-C. (Thanks to the guitar god Devin Townsend for the tuning idea :bowdown: ) I got the action so low that I can barely even fit a pick between the low string and first fret wire. But no buzz. I don't know what it is with older early production model guitars, but it's just so great, the nut is cut perfectly. Loaded with a set of Seymour Duncan JB/59, and I believe it's a mahogany body and mahogany neck, but if anyone else has one with more information, I'd love to hear it. The one thing I would change about this is I would give it a volute. This is the first time in a looooong time that I've loved a guitar this much that didn't have a volute.
    Anyways, that's my NGD
    -RG

Nile, oremus91 and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  2. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

That's the Dave Kushner sig I'm pretty sure. Nice score

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah, it's just a standard Ravelle with the DK pickguard. It's a beauty, though.

4. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

Definitely like that shape a lot, it's very cool.

5. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

I have the same model, same year but in black :yesway:

I actually wish I had it in white it looks awesome! (and I have to many black guitars!!)

I actually busted it out tonight for the first time in a few months...I dont know why I ever put it to the side as its one of my best playing and sounding guitars for sure! ( oh ya I remembered...its HEAVY!!! 12lbs).

Happy NGD!

Ps: Its a Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe and the pickguard was standard on them for them first year of two of production (although I've taken mine off as did most people I think)

6. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I'm actually selling it. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool guitar, I just need a guitar with a Floyd more than another hardtail. And I'm thinking a V :)

7. austink

austink SS.org Regular

I always loved the look of these after seeing Dave Kushner in VR. Too bad you are getting rid of it.

8. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I just returned it to the store. It was one of those guitars where I wanted to like it more, but it just wasn't going to happen. I love the shape and sound, but I'm more used to/comfortable playing guitars with "drastic" compound radius boards. This one had a very flat, almost vintage LP-type radius. If you're in the upstate-NY area and want to buy it, I brought it to Drome Sound Music in Schenectady.

9. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

That looks comfy as hell in the classical position, cool find.

10. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Ya some guitars you just dont mesh with..they are definitely very "les paulish" just cooler looking imo. I would never get rid of mine but while I dont have any problem with comfort as far as its design or contouring its so heavy it does get a little fatiguing...and such doesn't get played as much as it would otherwise.

Still great guitars! And as I said I would never sell mine :hbang:

11. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I liked the shape and oremus91 I play in the classical position, and it was comfortable. But when it comes down to it, you just can't play a guitar with an uncomfortable fretboard. For some people it's not a huge deal. But I couldn't stand it.

12. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I always loved Dave Kushner's sig version of this in pelham blue.

[​IMG]

13. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

It seems like it would be uncomfortable having the volume knob that close to the pickguard, like if you went to turn it the pickguard might cut up your hand. Also, does that have the sustainer? I noticed the two mini toggle switches

14. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

Yeah, it has a Sustainer.